1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Comets officially sold

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BmwM3, Feb 1, 2007.

1. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Nobody probably cares but, Calvin Murphy might return to broadcasting.

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/4516925.html

Hilton Koch, the chainsaw-waving furniture impresario whose omnipresent TV commercials promise cut-rate prices for couches and bedroom suits, donned a business suit and a red Comets cap Wednesday to celebrate his purchase of the city's WNBA franchise.

Koch, 39, agreed to pay about $10 million — in the same range as transactions involving the Los Angeles Sparks and Washington Mystics — to buy the Comets from Rockets owner Leslie Alexander. The sale was approved Tuesday by the WNBA's board of governors.

The owner of Hilton Furniture on Houston's south side also has signed a three-year lease to keep the team at Toyota Center as the Rockets' tenant and will name a coach and general manager next week to succeed the retired Van Chancellor, who led the Comets to the first four championships of the 10-year-old league.

"I'm very proud of where the Comets have been," Koch said at an afternoon news conference. "I'm very proud of where the Comets are. I'm proud of the fans and sponsors who will be with the Houston Comets, and I'm very, very excited and passionately involved about where the Comets are going. ... We're going to do what they say can't be done."

That would be to make a profit as the sole proprietor of a franchise in the WNBA, which annually has received million-dollar infusions from the NBA to remain in business.

"We'll look at it more as a local marketer versus what the traditional (NBA) owner has done," Koch said. "We have more to bring to the table. We know the market, so we feel that we're at an advantage."

Koch, who was a Comets corporate sponsor and is a Rockets season-ticket holder, said his goal is to raise $4 million from corporate sponsors. He also hoped to sell 1,000 season tickets during his first day as the team's owner and said ticket prices will remain unchanged.

Paola Furber of Furber Advertising, which has handled Hilton Furniture's ad accounts for four years, said Koch "will reinvent the Comets. We have fresh faces and fresh ideas and a different approach to get the city excited about the team."

Three-time league MVP Sheryl Swoopes, who attended the news conference, said she believes Koch will bring new ideas to the table.

"I know there are a lot of people doubting whether this will work and whether we'll be successful, but we're going to make it happen," she said. "I kind of look at this as starting over with the rebirth of the Comets."

Also on hand for the announcement were former Comets star Cynthia Cooper, the women's basketball coach at Prairie View A&M, and Basketball Hall of Famer and former Rockets broadcaster Calvin Murphy.

"I've known Hilton for a while, and I would like to be involved in any way that can help take the franchise to another level," Murphy said.

That could include work in community development, his former job with the Rockets, or a return to the broadcast booth.

"That (broadcasting) has been my expertise for the last 15 years, so why not?" Murphy said.

Koch said he has not determined Murphy's role with the team but said he "has always been a friend to me."

Cooper, meanwhile, said Koch "will put forward the marketing and the energy needed to help the WNBA be successful." She added that she was not a candidate for the coaching job and was "100 percent committed to Prairie View."

Alexander did not attend the news conference but said in a statement that Koch "will work tirelessly to continue the winning tradition we have built over the past decade."

Tad Brown, the Rockets' senior vice president, said Koch will inherit five or six Rockets employees who worked primarily with the Comets. Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson also will work with the team on an interim basis, and the Rockets will work with Koch to line up new radio and television partnerships.

Brown said the sale will leave the Rockets free to focus on "our core business, which is the Rockets and the operation of Toyota Center."

"Mr. Alexander feels the Rockets are going to do great things, and we want our core business to be the key focus of our employees," Brown said. "This is a time when WNBA franchises are going to non-team owners. It has been a good model for other cities, and we think it will be a good model (for the Comets)."

Brown would not say whether the Comets were profitable but said Alexander was "pleased with the value of his investment in the franchise." He acknowledged that Comets operations were a "negligible" factor in the Rockets' overall financial picture.

The Comets are the fifth WNBA team purchased by a non-NBA ownership group under a league provision adopted in October 2002. The Connecticut Sun was purchased in 2003 by the Mohegan Sun tribe, and independent operators purchased the Mystics and the expansion Chicago Sky in 2005.

The Sparks, winners of WNBA titles in 2001 and 2002, were purchased in December by former motion picture executive Katherine Goodman and attorney Carla Christofferson.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

if calvin is broadcasting i may watch one or two comets games. i miss the guy.

3. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Murphy should make a run for the coaching job.That'd be an interesting experiment.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Hilton should learn from Mattress Mac and realize sports is a bad investment.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

If I was still in Houston, I'd watch as many games as I could without killing myself if Calvin was commentating

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i only have one question: why?

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is GREAT news! It makes me feel like dancing!!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5D8RT7YwYPU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5D8RT7YwYPU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

8. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he paid more than 10 bucks for the Comets, he paid too much.

Calvin coach a women's basketball team?? Imagine how those ladies would earn playing time....

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Exactly how I pictured you.

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Crap. I didn't see this thread. See the other one for my post. Let the Koch jokes begin. Yes I know Koch is not pronounced like ****.

11. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Do you ever post anything positive? Better question, how do YOU rate your sense of humor?
    1-10...come on.

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Yeah, it's worked out terribly for Les. He paid, what, $30 million for the Rockets? They're now worth over $200 million. In fact, did he actually pay anything for the Comets? He couldn't have paid more than a couple million for the Comets, so he's probably making a pretty sweet profit on them.

Does the NBA have any plans to stop subsidizing the WNBA and try to let the league make it on its own?

13. Smokey

Does Gallery Furniture sponsor the Rockets/Comets? I wonder what's going to happen.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

ima,

That video never gets old.

15. msn

msn Member

I don't think they'll make it. The American sports market is flooded with competition that actually doesn't suck and isn't mediocre.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I actually read an article in SI a little over a year ago talking about the WNBA sticking around for a while, even without the NBA's help. I believe it was a late-September, early-October 2005 issue.

17. msn

msn Member

Heh; we'll see.

I suppose anything is possible--if a bunch of rednecks turning left for three hours can become a multibillion dollar enterprise, and if poker (POKER for heaven's sakes) can gain a huge following, anything must be possible.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think the fact that they've been around for over a decade says a lot.

19. msn

msn Member

Can't argue with that. I've noticed the following that makes me think they may be in trouble:
    --Less advertising (which was funded by NBA) (remember "Our Turn" and "We Got Next"?
    --Articles about declining attendance in several cities.
    --A rash of sales and talk of franchise moves (now, if the WNBA survives those, they *are* here for a long run).

I'm no expert though. And, I'm admittedly biased--I flat don't like the WNBA.

20. Smokey

All it says to me is the NBA has been pumping cash into it. If they were on their own, they would disappear like the WLAF, XFL, WUSA, etc.

MLS still being around says a lot.