1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Chronicle: Oswalt OFF the Market

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Brando2101, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4082885.html

Thank god Timmy never offered them that deal.

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

3. Major

Major Member

:confused:

4. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

i dont even understand how he was ever ON the market. why do they have such loyalties to ausmus and biggio, who both suck, but are willing to trade oswalt in the prime of his career?

this organization is beginning to do everything ass-backwards. i wish drayton would sell the team to somebody with one iota of baseball sense, and a pair of testicles.

5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

The Baltimore Sun needs to work on getting two separate sources to verify their reports.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i posted this in the other thread but i'm disgusted that oswalt's name is even mentioned in trade talks. it's an insult to roy and what he's done in his career. imo, he's as good as any pitcher in baseball. st. louis would have to give me pujols for him. if the orioles want oswalt, they start with tejada and we hand pick a couple prospects from their farm system. unbelievable.

purpura wanted to give him away PLUS ensberg,etc for tejada. what a f#$king joke.

i've defended the astros and management, we've been one of the best organizations in baseball for the last decade, but even with him off the market, i'm still extremely pissed that this was even considered.

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

This doesn't make sense. The article is simply refuting that particular deal, but they aren't denying that Oswalt was offered in other deals. They can't be this foolish, can they? Oswalt should be absolutely untouchable. In fact, the only guy in baseball I would trade him for is Pujols.

I can think of numerous other reasons why they SHOULD be reluctant...

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

exactly what i said. that deal isn't foolish it's flat out stupid. oswalt should be absolutely untouchable.

9. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

and exactly what i said too.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i meant the only trading oswalt if it was for pujols part. but yeah i think this is one thing were every single astros fan should be in agreement. :)

11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

No trade clause or not, Oswalt, Berkman and Clemens are untouchable. Period. How the hell is giving up your ace going to improve the team. Oh yeah, it's not. And let's even think about the tremendous backlash such a deal (including any of these guys, particularly Oswalt and Berkman) would bring.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm so happy that the media never makes false reports! If the media said they offered Oswalt, then dammit, they offered Oswalt!

13. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

You obviously did not get the memo. Roy O will be a free agent at the end of next season and word has it he has no real intention of staying here so it's not out of the realm of possibility to try to deal him while they can. It's the nature of the business.

14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

When did he say that?

15. JunkyardDwg

Did you actually hear Oswalt say that. No. All he's said is he'd like to test the free agent market. Then of course people jump to conclusions that he wants to leave. Why? It's been documented he is good friends with the owner, the team isn't heading for a sharp decline (Pitt. style), they have a positive outlook and I'm sure he's comfortable here having been brought up through our system. But just because he says he'd like to test FA that means he's gone. No that just means the Astros gotta make him an offer he can't refuse. They'd be stupid not to.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Who wouldnt test the free agency market ?

17. Major

Major Member

Most people don't if they can avoid it. If Roy tears up his arm next year or has a terrible year, he's screwed. With guaranteed contracts, most players benefit by taking the guaranteed cash now.

As far as why it's a concern, the reality is that if someone wants to test the FA market, they probably are looking to go to the highest bidder. And there's always one team that's willing to severely overpay for a player - and it only takes one. So if he does, in fact, test the FA market, it likely forces the Astros to make a choice between making a bad business decision to keep him or losing him, neither of which is particularly appealing.

18. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

19. bwarren

bwarren Member

Oswalt sounds pretty ticked off:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/4083663.html

God help us if he decides to go elsewhere.

20. JunkyardDwg

I have no doubt if the Astros don't give him a great offer he would test free agency. But take that and jump to the assumption that he doesn't to stay here is a leap. If the team didn't reach a deal with Berkman he would have tested the open market; that doesn't mean he wouldn't prefer to stay if he did.