1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Chronicle] Deep breaths, people: The Astros could still screw this up

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by samtaylor, Jun 6, 2017.

1. SemisolidSnake

Some loser named Cort McMurray. Here's the link to the article on the Chronicle website.

I have one thing to say Cort McMurray: SHUT. THE. ****. UP.

I've been an Astros fan since I was 5 when I started playing tee ball. 1989. It's certainly not as long as many here, but it's long enough. I knew the 90s team was never going to a World Series, even though it was fun to go to the games as a kid. It was fun watching Larry Dierker overachieve with the teams he managed. Then they got rid of Dierker, and I immediately noticed the pussification of all subsequent managers. And the 2000s Astros finally lost me as a dedicated fan with their constant ruining of good young players and their inconsistent, streaky play. I knew that the World Series run was a fluke as I was watching it, just like I knew the Rockets' WCF appearance a few years ago was a fluke. Then it became necessary to hard rebuild, and we ate multiple seasons of 100+ losses. But. BUT, Cort McMurray, you twit...

THIS team is fundamentally...FUNDAMENTALLY...different than all the previous teams. They have a good manager. Listen to Hinch talk just a few times, and you can easily see this. They have excellent starting pitching, but they've had good starting pitching even in many of the bad times. What's big is that they good RELIEF pitching as well. They're not weak in pitching at any inning.

What's most fundamentally different, though, is that these guys are HITTING. And hitting consistently. And playing ALL NINE DAMN INNINGS. I got tired of seeing good Astros pitchers lose games 1-0 in the 2000s. I got tired of seeing the team basically concede after 6 innings if they were down. I got tired of last at-bat ties leading to four extra innings before an inevitable loss. I got tired of dreading certain parts of the order or knowing that two outs against us was essentially three outs.

NONE OF THAT IS HAPPENING THIS YEAR. This team is absurdly consistent, doesn't give up, and can even deal with injuries to some of its best players and continue to win. This is unprecedented in Astros' history, Cort, you myopic idiot. That's why unprecedented things are happening. This isn't like other years, so it's just an exercise in mental midgetry to compare this to other years.

Will the Astros win this year's World Series? I don't know. But here's a stat: every team with our record by this point in the season, except for the 2001 Mariners, HAS won the World Series that year. Houston fans are right to be cautious about their sports, but this is one team where we should throw caution to the wind, go to the games, and have a blast watching our young guys wreck the other top-tier teams in the majors. Let us have some fun with the most fun Astros team ever, Cort. Now, go sit in your dunce corner away from us while you think of other stupid article ideas.

msn likes this.
  2. T for 3

T for 3 Member

FIFY

msn likes this.
  3. solid

solid Contributing Member

I say "live in the moment." Good times come and go. Enjoy them while you have them. This is some serious hot streak, roll with it.

4. fiersdownbelow

Houston Chronicle is cringe. Fake news.

5. newAge_Rockets

R/Astros is way too much fun. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't given it a look.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

I want it all. I want it now.

7. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

I blame tonight on this guy

Tha_Dude, Tomstro and Tfor3 like this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

LOL quality journalism right here.

This team may not win it all and if they fail its somehow related to the 98 Astros failure.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

It would be related to HOU failure.

Bad luck has also cursed the city... ask Renfro.

#29 Houstunna, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't believe in curses.

The Oilers and Texans have been franchises that only fielded legit contenders for a few years in the late 70's. The Moon era oliers were paper tigers not built for the playoffs, and the Texans have yet to field a SB worthy team.

The Astros were a mediocre to bad franchise for most of their first 35 years (3 playoff appearences),and have fielded maybe 6 WS level clubs.

The Rockets have been the cities best, by a wide margin, and they have been rewarded with 2 chips. Unfortunately in the NBA you don't fluke your way to a title, so we've had a ton of really good teams that just lost to better teams.

I get sick of hearing all of this curse nonsense. The Oilers/Texans and Astros haven't consistently fielded worthy contenders for most of their history.

msn likes this.
  11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Rockets earned the titles. Unfortunately, due to the MJ situation, whomever won would be slighted.
    Which in itself can be considered a curse.

Are you familiar with the Renfro catch?
    Do you not believe the Coogs were better than NC State?

#31 Houstunna, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And the Oilers and Astros have, for long stretches, had terrible owners. I don't know if McNair does/will fit into that category - but Adams, McMullen, McClane - hell, the Astros were owned by a credit company for several years.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

A-f-wording-men. I cannot relate to any shoe-dropping lack of enjoyment. This may all end in an epic collapse - but who cares? It won't make any of this stretch less fun.

14. msn

msn Member

Indeed. McLane had a stretch where he appeared to have turned the "awful Astros owner" thing around, but the end was so very, very bad.

15. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Ah screw this guy. He can go stroke his pink piggy for all I care. This team has the makings of a solid deep playoff team. We need another ace level pitcher. A lock down closer (I trust giles as much as I do a wet fart). That is about it.

Can someone tell me what in the hell a "dead arm is" what the F McHugh. Dude just fell apart or something?

16. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

3-7 since this dbag wrote this article. This is why we can't have nice things. :eek:

17. HookemHorns1250

This is starting to get annoying.

I believe most hardcore Astros fans understand that certain things can happen to affect this season in a large negative manor.

It's not as if Astros fans overtaken the baseball world asking for our players to go ahead and receieve their rings. Where this kind of information comes from I'll nenver know. In fact, our fans have handeled this incredible first half of the season with an incredibly humbled attitude IMO, basically for the reason most have, because we haven't had our World Series yet, we know what injuries can do to promising Astro teams, etc.

Other teams fans (especially large market) I feel would be over reacting to a much higher degree than Astros fans.

Alllllll that being said, why in the world should we not be having fun being the best team in baseball into June? We should have all the fun we want, and anyone saying we are getting ahead of ourselves, again I do dont ee thread after thread preparing for a World Series parade. We are just proud of our freaking team. Since when is that a crime?

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

29-26. :eek:

19. msn

msn Member

Best offense since 1998. Best offense in our league, perhaps the first time ever. Former Cy Young award winner and a former high prospect both pitching Cy-Young quality years.

Then both of those pitchers get hurt and come back throwing grapefruits. Then all-star CF and MVP-candidate SS do significant DL time.

FML

Houstunna likes this.
  20. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, this has turned into a real turd sandwich recently I'm hoping the ship is righted but I'm not feeling great about it.