1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Chronicle: Cal McNair MIA

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rockets94-95, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You don't understand the term "Dumpster Fire". Bengals are dumpster fire. Browns are Dumpster fire. A team that made the playoffs 4 of last 5 years is not a "Dumpster Fire".

You need to just go root for the Titans.

gotitans.com
    Titansreport.com

pgabriel and Blatz like this.
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The team is giving away draft picks for peanuts and completely ruining their cap.

But ok.

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Peanuts? Who? Tunsil and Stills? Not peanuts? Duke? Conley? Both filled needs. You are just don't know what the hell you are talking about. Ruining their cap? Where? God, you are DUMBASS. STOP POSTING.

Bob may need to go, but damn, those trades were good for the team.

4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Stfu.
    Stop using Bengals as an example of dumpster fire.

Bengals made playoff appearances: 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

We are basically the newer version of the bengals in terms of playoffs successes at this rate, which is your definition of "dumpster fire"

SWTsig and juanm34 like this.
  5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

If u know ANYTHING about the Bengals, You would understand why they were a dumpster fire. Marvin Lewis kept that team competitive with basically NO help from the owner.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Are we sure Cal is even alive and BOB isn't just "Weekend at Bernie-ing" the whole situation?

SWTsig, Nook, RunninRaven and 10 others like this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

In what way are they a dumpster fire?

They generate strong profits,they never do anything controversial, they play competitive football, they dominate public interest in their market. In the leagues eyes, they are the picture perfect milquetoast franchise. The fact that they are happy with mediocrity isn't the NFL's concern.

I wish they were a dumpster fire, because that seems to be the only way anything ever changes around here. Competing is the goal, actually winning is appreciated, but not necessary.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If I were Cal I would also run off to Miami. Can't get nothing going right here in Houston.

9. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Does value have a relationship with the team's actual record on the field? Or does franchise value rely on other factors? I don't know, though public NFL franchise valuation figures nearly always have the Cowboys near the top of the list (the Texans too, for some reason), and how long has it been since they were really good?

A big difference between the McNairs and the other football family ownership groups Scarface was talking about, is that those other families' kids largely grew up in a family whose identity was 'we own an NFL team.' Kids had the idea that all of this would be theirs someday, so try not to screw it up to badly. They were prepared, for as long as they could remember, to think that this was the family business, and this was what some of them were meant to do.

The McNairs, OTOH, grew up in an 'energy company' household, and only later on bought an NFL team. It's not hard at all to imagine that most or all of the kids want nothing to do with the team, but definitely want something to do with their share of whatever McNair's share was of the 3.1 billion dollars the team is estimated to be worth now.

The hard part, as I suspect Tillman Fertitta is now discovering with the Rockets, is finding a greater fool to buy the team. I don't know who has 3 and change billion dollars burning a hole in their pocket, do you?

pgabriel and rockets94-95 like this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd rather keep the coach and lose Pancakes. Please no more John McClain.

11. Mr. Clutch

I think they are doing controversial things now. Raiding so many future assets, firing qualified people and not replacing them, letting a terrible coach gain all power

12. Mr. Clutch

Gonna be tough to find. I think if they are terrible on the field without draft picks and with such a huge brain drain in the front office and a terrible cap situation, could make it hard for someone to overpay when they otherwise would

Gray_Jay likes this.
  13. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Terrible on the field, in as much as it doesn't affect gate, PSL sales, merch, or concessions: doesn't matter. The Texans make money whether they are 2-14 or 14-2. Demand on suites or tickets might change, but there's a lot of attenuation and lag between team competitiveness inputs, and dollars received output. Having immediately marketable stars probably helps with the dollars coming in.

No draft picks stings, only because it makes fielding cheaper talent tougher, but that's really a cap issue. Further, as much as I've b****ed about BoB's idiocy with spending picks, it's not like the Texans are as screwed there as the Rockets are. As for the cap, they've some of the most room and least spending of any team in the NFL. Brain drain in the front office is annoying, but new ownership is going to just fill those slots with their own people anyway.

What does matter? Separate (IE, non-pooled with the NFL) revenues matter. A large fan base matters. Cheap rent on their stadium and/or significant cut of all stadium non-NFL revenues matters. No upcoming liabilities on the horizon matter. (Still can't believe the NFL got off so easily for their CTE-affected player pool associated liability.) Stability in fan interest, manifested as a large TV and other broadcast revenue deal, that matters. Oh, and good labor relations for the near future. I don't know about that one. Were people predicting an imminent lockout or not?

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Suggested reading: "Good to Great" by Jim Collins

Nook likes this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

Fair enough. We just have to deal with this obrien idiot until he gets fired and then have a rebuild

16. Damion Laverne

This team is a dumpster fire. In fact, the worst kind of a dumpster fire--FOOL'S GOLD. Win enough every year to get interest only to get exposed in the playoffs. It's like clockwork.

Don't talk to me about profitability. How hard is it to run a profitable NFL franchise in the state of Texas??? It's like teaching a baby to walk.

O'Brien continues to waddle his fat, arrogant ass around NRG like he's King Kong. Pathetic.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well good luck with all that. If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for buttchin to get fired nor would I expect a good outcome from this shitfest for the next 5+ years.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  18. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

There are a few families in the area who could well afford to buy the team if they were on the block and interested in purchasing, names like the Kinders, Duncans, Sarofims, Friedkins, and Hildebrands, among others.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Cal is in fact alive...no one could bother to ask about the SOTT. :rolleyes:

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Im pretty sure Pancakes and Cal are the same person.