1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

House Investigation thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 6, 2019.

1. adoo

adoo Member

for the education of mojo

the DOJ attorney questioned the intent of Richie Neal's Committee

the law cited by the Neal's subpoena is quite clear,

the IRS shall provide tax returns to any of the 3 tax-writing house committees;​

it's mandatory for the IRS to comply​

#401 adoo, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The IRS attorney said so.

quikkag likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

4. NewRoxFan

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The question is: What is Trump hiding? Every candidate for 2020 will release their returns (as have every candidate for 50 years). Why should Trump be any different? He has things to hide........obviously.

quikkag likes this.
  6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Hope Hicks is being interviewed behind closed doors by the House Judiciary Committee today (Jerry Nadler, presiding).

However, as anyone with even a partially working brain expected, the White House attorneys are blocking much of her testimony using executive privilege.

Democrats say White House lawyer is refusing to let Hope Hicks answer questions

Democrat members of the House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday said a White House attorney is preventing President Trump’s former communications director Hope Hicks from answering the panel’s questions about her time in the administration.

Ms. Hicks, who served as Mr. Trump’s communications director through February 2018, is the first senior administration official referenced in special counsel Robert Mueller’s report to testify before Congress. She appeared at a closed-door hearing, with a transcript expected to be made public within 48 hours.

Three Democrats who left the hearing slammed the Trump administration, saying a White House attorney repeatedly claimed Ms. Hicks had “blanket immunity” discussing her time in the White House.​

So for those of you who have been breathlessly following the 'Fake news' mass media in expecting this was going to FINALLY be the big day when Trump was "gotten," you have been mislead, yet again.

[​IMG]

7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Politico weighs in:

'It’s a farce': Dems livid as Hope Hicks dodges questions

HouseDemocrats erupted Wednesday at what they said was the White House’s repeated interference in their interview with Hope Hicks, a longtime confidante of President Donald Trump who was a central witness in special counsel Robert Mueller’s obstruction of justice investigation.

“We’re watching obstruction of justice in action,” said Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.). “It’s a farce,” added Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.), who said Hicks at one point tried to answer a question about an episode involving former Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski only to be cut off by the White House counsel.

“She made clear she wouldn’t answer a single question about her time unless the White House counsel told her it was okay,” an exasperated Rep. Ted Deutch (D-Fla.) said in an interview. “She couldn’t even characterize her testimony to the special counsel.”​

They were told weeks ago that the Trump administration was claiming executive privilege regarding the testimony of his staff. This is not a surprise. It is only surprising that the Democrats and the media are apparently surprised that the white house counsel is blocking this testimony.

But you guys believe the 'Fake news' media hacks who told you that some sort of meaningful testimony and disclosure was going to happen here today. Considering the announcements weeks in advance about executive privilege being invoked, you should have known better.

8. NewRoxFan

The funny thing... regardless of whether trump skates by from all this, the damage he is doing to our government's system of checks and balances will be long lasting.

9. NewRoxFan

Video tape with russian hookers?

KingCheetah likes this.
  10. NewRoxFan

11. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

12. dmoneybangbang

What are these folks hiding? They sure are working hard to keep their secrets hidden.

Remember how they lied about how much communication they had with Russian linked associates? How much communication with Russian linked associates is too much? I would have thought more than zero.... but conservatives nowadays...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Robert Mueller already talked to all of them. Read his report if you do not know. The answer is that this is a politically contrived witch hunt by Nadler and the Democrats. Lie and deny if you like. But even that is way past its use-by date at this point.

14. dmoneybangbang

No Mueller didn’t... if you actually read the report.... in fact Mueller went out of his way to note about deleted communications, written submitted questions, and the 5th was pleaded by key witnesses. But let’s be honest, you didn’t read the report.

If the Trump administration would just cooperate and put those questions to rest....

Remember how they lied about how much communication they had with Russian linked associates? How much communication with Russian linked associates is too much? I would have thought more than zero.... but conservatives nowadays...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nerf's hero must have been a little sleepy yesterday

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Did Ms. Hicks correct Rep Nadler without actually objecting to be called "Ms. Lewandowski"?

I want to be sure I got that right.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Graham: Mueller Testifying to Congress Will Blow Up in Dems' Face

SEN. LINDSEY GRAHAM (R-SC): Bottom line is, after all of your looking and all the time you had and all the money you spent, did Trump collude with the Russians? No. Do you stand by your report? Yes.

It is case closed for me. They can do anything they want to in the House, and I think it will blow up in their face. It will blow up in their face. This will blow up in their face. The conclusions can't change, there is no collusion, that's what the whole thing was about to begin with.

18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Dershowitz: Democrats Will Regret Mueller Testimony, "Shooting Themselves In The Foot"

Alan Dershowitz weighs in on former special counsel Robert Mueller's decision to testify in front of House Intelligence and Judiciary committees.

ALAN DERSHOWITZ: Nobody can defy a subpoena, but you can respond to the subpoena and then refused to answer questions based on the traditions of the Justice Department, based on grand jury material, based on an ongoing investigation, based on a range of possible defenses. but he can't refuse to answer questions about the FISA application. Those are the kind of questions that I think Republicans will be very well prepared to ask.

Those are the kind of questions which are currently under investigation by the inspector general whose report we are waiting for. But those are not in any way precluded. So I think that they will regret having called him.

Look, I'm a liberal Democrat and I'm on the Democrat side.​

19. adoo

adoo Member

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's the standard talking point for Trumpers, and for journalists looking for an angle. And, it might even be true. But, I don't care. It's the right thing to do for governance, and it doesn't matter if it helps one party or the other. Well done, Chairman Nadler, and I'm sorry if it costs you your job later but that's how it goes.

Random aside: Long ago I had a job where I read a lot of depositions, and I had one of a shady executive's secretary driven to tears by her own counsel, who was the company lawyer, with all of his objections and instructions. The lawyer was bullying the woman he was supposedly representing in the deposition. And, it was rather beautiful how you could see it unfold in the very dry medium of a stenographer's transcript.

NewRoxFan likes this.