1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hold me back!!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dankstronaut, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I dont know why, but it seems like the number of dust-ups of late have been frequent.

Also, like, nobody thinks these guys can fight right? Cousins might be huge and talented at basketball but he is almost assuredly a terrible fighter. Durant doesn’t even have pant-sand. Who is scared of him?

So in effort to curb the absolutely atrocious notion that anybody wants to see anymore slap fights I propose this:

If you start a fight, you have to fight.

No hold me backs. No dust-ups. Just embarrassingly bad fights and in probably 2 weeks a league that will either become a full on MMA style rumble ball which, hey, sounds fun...or regular basketball where everyone knows for damned sure these guys aren’t a bunch of badasses. This pretend toughguy crap must end.

I also have a solution for NFL targeting. You sit out as long as the guy you hurt. That’s right, if you earhole a guy and he has to leave with a concussion, you have to leave. If he’s out for 3 weeks because of it, so are you. Guaran****ingteed you put these guys wallets on the line, a miraculous drop in concussions and other malicious acts will come immediately.

2. Mr. Space City

nobody is trying to get suspended, fined, and possibly sued if the fighting spills over into the stands and they hit a fan.

if they were really "allowed" to fight like in hockey some dudes would legit get ****ed up out there

3. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Ya there would be significantly less dust ups if everyone wasn't holding people back. We all know steph curry had 0 intention of fighting ariza when he charged him bc he knew green was right there to pull him back. There are a good amount of guys that are about that life/mentally insane that actually would get down and the hold me back guys in those cases prevented a throw dine

4. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

I actually like your NFL rules regarding targeting.

tonyt8605 and Dankstronaut like this.
  5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Regulation NBA shorts don't have pockets so players can't carry pocket sand to gain the advantage in dust-ups.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

As long as this current Golden State squad exists, fake tough guy will be the NBA's calling card.

ghettocheeze and seeingredtx like this.
  7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They are all making way too much money to get into a real fight. Artest lost 10's of millions of dollars for the brawl.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

they should do elementary rule, where the teacher puts you and your enemy together and force you to shake hands and apologize.

9. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I think this all started with artest actually. He had a long road back but I believe if it’s ever happened again, you might see a guy get black balled.
    I actually don’t believe the good amount part. I think the number of guys who could put hands up and look like they’ve done it before is pretty low. Ariza being one, zebo for sure, pat bev maybe...igoudala seems legit...I mean...who else? I bet there isn’t 10 guys who I would watch for a fight.
    Lol
    Like I said I think that’s where it started. Not that it’s some revelation but things have been different and for good reason. I’m just tired of seeing egos flail right before a LOOOOTTTTT of business decisions get made. Just ball.
    Yeah, sometimes I say outlandish things but that’s one of my better ideas, even though it brings an extreme sort of consequence. They’ve apparently been discussing a sort of penalty box idea but I think this one is more effective. Something like gronk hitting that dude, there’s no place in the game or life for **** like that. If he misses the rest of the season, gronk should have to miss as well. Guaranteed, the chest to quad hit zone would become the standard in a hurry. Guys going high or low to the knees too, if you went low and tore an acl, then it was deemed purposeful you might miss a whole season. Horse collar a runner, he sprains an ankle, you’re sitting out for 6, 8 weeks? It wouldn’t happen anymore. Cut blocks too, it’s not just a defensive penalty...the guy that hit Cushing from the jets would’ve been out for the season.

But it’s also an effective in game penalty box type of the injury is just a series or two. Say you facemask a guy and he has to sit out for a minute? You get to check back in when he does. Guaranteed, 100% the tackling and blocking in the NFL gets cleaner and malicious targeting would over.

BigShasta and Patience like this.
  10. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I think a lot of the guys who would toss arms are ones you would never even think of because they know **** isn't going to happen in an actual game. Kevin Durant for sure...lol jk

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

David West would fck somebody up badly

PJ Tucker

Portis knocked Mirotic into another dimension

a lot of guys in the NBA could throw hands if they really needed to

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

These players are strong and fast enough that a stupid mistake in the heat of passion could turn ugly real fast.

The slap fights are probably what's allowed considering the league doesn't want to see another Rudy T incident or another Malice at the Palace.

20+ games or the entire season is not worth it especially during the golden age of player salaries.

apollo33 likes this.
  13. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Yeah but what happens when a division rival take advantage of the rule? At what point are teams 'holding' players out because they can eventually hold Gronk out for the same amount of time.

14. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

To that I would place 100% of the blame on gronkowski. Don’t like being held out huh? He probably wouldn’t like a 260 roidhead dropping an elbow on the back of his head with a running start either.

I was lucky enough to get a channel with some rugby leagues broadcasting last year. Rugby is amazing first off but the way the refs have a grip on the play is inspiring. The players do not challenge the refs. I saw a guy go rogue, similar to gronk actually and the ref booted him. The team captain came over and politely asked what happened, the ref was just like uhh yeah bro. We don’t tolerate that and your boy is out. Got it? The captain just said yes sir, thank you. It was astonishing.

BigShasta and da_juice like this.
  15. da_juice

da_juice Member

As they say, its a hooligans game played by gentlemen

Dankstronaut likes this.
  16. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

So is OP advocating for player taking after Kermit Washington?

17. JaceMan da SpaceMan

I kik ur ass

Dankstronaut likes this.
  18. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Not sure what you mean by that...but if I remember right that’s the dude that sucker punched Rudy T and almost killed him. RT never really played again after that right?

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I don't know what everybody is talking about here. It's always been elbows and assholes in the paint

20. Rockets4Life13

This. Pretty sure cousins wanted to punch the **** out of KD.

Punishments are too harsh (rightfully so) to risk real fights

#20 Rockets4Life13, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Mr. Space City likes this.