1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(here we go again) Texas may ban "pro-Islamic, anti-Christian" history books

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, Sep 20, 2010.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/education/stories/091510dntexeducation.28d07a4.html

Can the Texas Board of Education just stop already???

2. showtang043

showtang043 Member

wow sad to see, just add to the clash of ignorance

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

All the more reason to elect Bill White. Governor Good Hair has been in office long enough.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Long enough? Hell, it was more than "long enough" after he finished Junior's term.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just leave all the teachings of religion out unless it deals with factual history like the Crusades etc.

DD

7. showtang043

showtang043 Member

I agree, it shouldn't be from a islamic point of view, or a christian point of view. It should just be factual and objective, that is that, show the bads and good of all regimes and so on, it shouldn't be to make someone think a certain thing, this should just be facts and they evaluate and develop their own viewpoints.

8. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

The Texas Board of Education needs to be burned at the stake.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Texas Board of Ignorance is more like it.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

History is written by the victor.

11. dback816

dback816 Member

Maybe you should tell that to japan, they seem to be doing heck of a job omitting 99% of their WW2 atrocities from their textbooks despite outcries from plenty of countries.

Maybe we, as the "victor", should go make them fix it.

12. PointForward

PointForward Member

yeah, like that god awful atrocity where they dropped 2 nuclear bombs on themselves and wiped out 2 of their f***ing cities to the ground.

OH WAIT.

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'll tell you what, I didn't give two sh*** about what was in that history textbook when I was in high school...

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Further proving that Richard Dawkins DOES have the right idea...

Get this religious crap out of here...

#14 RudyTBag, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Great idea lets teach less about a religion that is already misunderstood.

I disagree that Religion should not be in a history books; Religion has been an important instigator for many things that happened in the past. I do believe people should learn about the basics of all the big religions in a different class than History (In the Netherlands it is discussed in the class Culture and society).

Of course this is another example of the small mindedness of some people.

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I dn't think anyone disagrees with that, but the implementation of biased religious beliefs in factual texts is just wrong...

We should teach religion like we teach Mythology...

17. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I agree, but who is to decide what is truth and what not?

I disagree, I do not believe in any god, however for some it is important, so therefore it is important that everybody get a clear idea what the different religions stand for.

Furthermore people should know about the different religions before they choose which one they agree with (or if they disagree with them all), so the reason to follow a certain religion is not primarily geographic (or the religion of the parents).

1 person likes this.
  18. dback816

dback816 Member

You....want to ignore what japan did in WW2 because we threw two nukes that killed less people than the fire bombing raids that preceded them?

You think it's okay for them to continue to teach their kids that WW2 was all rainbow and sunshine until the big bad Americans came and decided to nuke them?

You're totally cool with the fact that japan still refuses to officially apologize to their neighboring countries like Germany did?

Your post is possibly the worst thing in the last few weeks here, quite the accomplishment considering what's been going on in all the anti-Muslim threads :rolleyes:

Or maybe it's me being too hard on you and you really just don't know **** and think Pearl Harbor was the worst of it all...read a book broseph.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great point!

I don't think religion can be ignored in history as much of history has to do with religion. The challenge is in teaching it in a way that doesn't endorse it so I agree with Knote2 to some extent that we should teach all religion like we treat ancient mythology. That said I can see people getting up in arms when discussing something like the Resurrection as being a myth on par with Theseus slaying the Minotaur.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't want to derail this thread but I agree that Japan does have a problem with getting a grip on their history. Personally I've always thought it would be in Japan's interest to deal with the WWII the way the Germans have as it would help their dealings with the rest of Asia.