1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hear me out... NICK FOLES

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bilaal14, Jan 18, 2017.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

This is why I never understood people who act like the Texans only sucked this year because Watson went down. If you have a good team you can survive injuries. The Eagles lost their MVP candidate QB and won the Super Bowl. Case Keenum had the Vikings in the conference championships.

The Texans just aren't a quality team no matter how many excuses people use to explain our consistent mediocrity.

Sajan likes this.
  2. showa13

showa13 Member

Other than Wentz, the Eagles were relatively healthy all the way up to this game. The Texans lost key starters and key depth to injuries this year. Yes you can survive injuries...to an extent. Show me a team that suffered as many injuries the Texans did this year that had any kind of success. The Texans aren't as bad as people on here think, kind of hard to be successful when half the team is hurt. One of the reasons the Eagles looked so good is the lack of injuries suffered outside of Wentz.

Also helps that Nick Foles went Joe Flacco the last two games and played out of his mind. For some reason I see Cleveland giving him a ridiculous contract that they regret almost immediately.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

A healthy Texans sucked in game 1 on both sides of the ball while being demolished by the Jaguars. They weren't playing well the entire season. Also, having some defenders injured doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to score.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Even with a bad off. line the Texans scored almost at will with Watson.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

I agree. The Texans offensive line is crap. That was kind of my point. The team isn't good because it isn't good. Injuries don't change the fact that the talent isn't good.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Nick Foles/Carson Wentz are guys who are effective because of the system they are in, good coaching, good offensive line, good running game.

Deshaun Watson isn't a system QB, he is the system.

7. Texanstradamus

They have talent the problem is when the talent gets hurt you it’s a huge drop the only spots that lack talent is the secondary and O-line game 1 they had like 5 players concussed it was times they had one TE fuller and Ellington were hurt watson went down make shift O-lines Texans need to work on depth they can turn it around starts with Watson health though

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not worried about Nick Foles, I mean it's not like he'd have done anything here even if the Texans picked him up. Give BOB the Eagles exact roster and that teams loses by 20 to the Patriots.

Foles coached by BOB would be Tom Savage.

9. showa13

showa13 Member

See: Tom Savage at QB. A healthy Texans team also almost beat the Pats and hung 57 on the Titans. The OL and secondary is not good, but other than that we’re better off than most think at most other positions. The team needs overall depth but a good portion of the talent ended up in the training room.

There’s a very high level of pessimism surrounding the organization from a fans perspective but like I’ve said before it’s easier when you’re set at QB. To not completely derail this topic Foles is just another wrinkle in the most interesting QB offseason in years.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Do you think the Texans would be set at QB if they have Nick Foles?

11. texian

texian Member

I asked him what he wants people to take from his journey, from the way he's handled himself, from his ability to shake off some incredible disappointments and even contemplate retirement, from being unwanted by three teams to standing there with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell posing for pictures with the Super Bowl MVP trophy.

Foles' response was incredibly revealing and quite powerful.

"I think the big thing is don't be afraid to fail," Foles said. "I think in our society today, Instagram, Twitter, it's a highlight reel. It's all the good things. And then when you look at it, when you think like, wow, when you have a rough day, 'My life's not as good as that,' (you think) you're failing.

"Failure is a part of life. It's a part of building character and growing. Without failure, who would you be? I wouldn't be up here if I hadn't fallen thousands of times. Made mistakes.

"We all are human, we all have weaknesses, and I think throughout this, (it's been important) to be able to share that and be transparent. I know when I listen to people speak and they share their weaknesses, I'm listening. Because (it) resonates.

"So I'm not perfect. I'm not Superman. I might be in the NFL, I might have just won a Super Bowl, but, hey, we still have daily struggles, I still have daily struggles. And that's where my faith comes in, that's where my family comes in.

"I think when you look at a struggle in your life, just know that's just an opportunity for your character to grow. And that's just been the message. Simple. If something's going on in your life and you're struggling? Embrace it. Because you're growing."

lnchan likes this.
  12. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

What? Foles is miles better than Savage. Don't let BoB hate blind you.

Foles would save BoB's job prolly.

13. showa13

showa13 Member

No but Foles is better than Tom Savage, but when you get a Carson Wentz you can focus on building the rest of the team rather than using resources just on a QB. The OL is just as important as the QB and we need to rebuild it I’m not arguing that, very few QBs would succeed behind this OL. But the Texans have weapons and a very good front 7 that was decimated by injuries. A bad QB and OL can make a good team look worse than it is.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Only in Philly with quality coaching. Everywhere else he's been trash. When you have garbage coaching, like BOB for example, you have to have absolutely elite talent to make up for it, anything less than that will look only as good as the coaching.

15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Famous last words.

16. lnchan

We don't have Jeff Fisher.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, Jeff Fisher was a skilled defensive coach, BOB is an offensive coach that is terrible at coaching offense.

18. lnchan

Fisher came from that tainted Buddy Ryan coaching tree. Hiring him ruined the Oilers.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree, I was just pointing out that he actually did something well unlike our current coach. Either way, you give a QB like Foles to coaches like Fisher or BOB and you get BS results, that was the point. Credit belongs to the Eagles coaching staff for making Foles what he was.

lnchan likes this.
  20. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

He played 3 good games in the perfect offense for him. That means ZERO for what theoretical success he would have here. I am happier to be paying Waston a rookie salary for the next 3 years. Continue gloating though.