1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Healthcare] Innappropriate Drug Demand Driving Up Prices, Time To Ban Consumer Advertising Says AMA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

If it can lower costs and lead to greater medical care, why not? Some marketing guy's boat?

[rQUOTEr]U.S. doctor group calls for ban on drug advertising to consumers

The American Medical Association on Tuesday called for a ban on advertising prescription drugs and medical devices directly to consumers, saying the ads drive patients to demand expensive treatments over less costly ones that are also effective.

The influential doctors' group said the new policy reflects physicians' concerns that marketing spending on a proliferation of advertising is helping to drive up drug prices. The group voted at its annual meeting in Atlanta to support a ban.

"Direct-to-consumer advertising also inflates demand for new and more expensive drugs, even when those drugs may not be appropriate," AMA Board Chair-elect Patrice Harris said in a statement.

The United States and New Zealand are the only two countries that allow direct-to-consumer advertising of prescription drugs.

AMA said drugmakers' spending on advertising has shot up 30 percent in the last two years to $4.5 billion. TV commercials for drugs such as Bristol-Myers Squibb's lung cancer medicine Opdivo and Gilead Sciences' Hepatitis C treatment Harvoni were among this year's ad campaigns.

U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has proposed cracking down on direct-to-consumer advertising and other measures to stop what she called "price gouging" by pharmaceutical companies. Clinton's plan would prevent companies from deducting what they spend on direct-to-consumer ads from their tax bills.

A series of court decisions has determined the ads cannot be banned outright because they are a form of commercial speech protected by the U.S. Constitution. The AMA did not address how the ban could be accomplished without being overturned in court.

PhRMA, the largest U.S. trade group for the pharmaceutical industry, said the ads increase consumer awareness of available treatments for diseases, including undiagnosed conditions.

"Providing scientifically accurate information to patients so that they are better informed about their health care and treatment options is the goal of direct-to-consumer pharmaceutical advertising about prescription medicines," PhRMA spokesman Tina Stow said in an email.

According to a U.S. Food and Drug Administration analysis this year, 52 percent of Americans believe direct-to-consumer ads do not have enough information about risks and 46 percent say the ads lack information about benefits.[/rQUOTEr]

2. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Why not? Because of the constitutional protection of freedom of speech.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Would be interesting to see how much less patients demand in other countries. Has there been a study done?

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Clinton's plan would prevent companies from deducting what they spend on direct-to-consumer ads from their tax bills.

This should be gone regardless.

#TooManyTaxCutsAndTaxDodges

Rocket River

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Do the drug commercials REALLY attract people to ask for a prescription? I thought those commercials where made to keep people the he away from them.

" Do you have asthma? Try [BLANK]!! (Paid spokesman) - This drug has saved my life, I can finally enjoy like again with my health!

Warning, drug may cause cancer, lung damage, increased chances of severe asthma, increased chances of cardiac arrest and has been linked to sudden death"

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Yes advertising works and you can't stop it unless it's discriminatory or the carries refuses to air. But I do like the idea that the advertising budgets should be tax deductible.

7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

There are plenty of things you can't advertise.

Go to a pharmacy in Europe and note the difference in size between each section and its American counterpart. And no one over there is telling their doctor about x drug.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I went on a cruise recently and stopped off in Belize.

I walked into pharmacy right off the ship just to see whats what, and noticed I could pick up a sealed Abuteral (asthma inhaler) for $10, no prescription, no insurance. I picked up 10, because the week before I got one from CVS for $40 and the doctor allowed me one refill.

Whatever that is, whatever causes that, I think is part of the problem with Healthcare in this country.

9. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I pay more for healthcare with a state job and insurance than I did in Israel paying out of pocket. My co-pay on oral surgery in Texas is more than what my old business partner paid for hernia surgery and a stay in a private hospital in Tel Aviv.

That Americans are subsidizing a b2b ad industry with tax write-offs and inflated pharma costs is revolting.

10. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Cigarettes say Hi

11. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

No, it's because the pharmaceutical lobby has an order of magnitude more cash to shove into politicians' holes than other industries. When's the last time you saw an ad for Winchester outside of a Field and Stream or bought a bottle of whiskey on a Sunday?

12. Mr. Clutch

Having fewer medicines sounds worse

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Right? A 30 second spot is 2 seconds telling us why it's a great drug and 28 seconds telling us how it's going to kill us.

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The AMA is one of the more powerful associations (unions) in the US. Though, this could certainly be a talking point in the presidential election.

15. Mr. Clutch

They are part of the problem too. You get the same sky high prices from seeing a doctor

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The drug advertisements make no sense. You coming to me and telling me you heard of "x" medication would in no way influence my decision on prescribing you something.

Many medications are not first line agents.

Non-effective in certain populations, or those with certain co-morbidities.

Don't take into account the person's other medications/ baseline liver/kidney function etc.