1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO TV] True Detective Season 3

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I like the subtle jabs at true crime fetishists. The detective had utter contempt for that millennial podcaster lady.

snowconeman22 and J Sizzle like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

One of the best art collections I've ever seen

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Have to say this one feels very similar to season 1. Liking it a lot so far.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  4. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Very intrigued by the first two episodes. Season 1 was my favorite season of television of all time...like most others, I thought season 2 was a disaster. Season 3 is extra special for me because I'm an Arkansan who lived in Northwest Arkansas (specifically, Washington County) for three years. The lead detective and the schoolteacher both say they live in Fayetteville, which is where I went to law school. Ali's character says he grew up in Conway (where I went for undergrad) and they reference Wrightsville (about 7 miles away from Little Rock, where I currently live). The town where the "crime" took place is called West Finger on the show, an obvious tribute to real-life West Fork in Washington County, which is near Devil's Den State Park. The creator of the show graduated from University of Arkansas. The first rule of writing is "stick with what you know" so I'm glad Nic Pizzolatto is going back to his roots (grew up in Louisiana, ala, season 1; ended up in Arkansas for a spell).

weakfromtoday and oelman44 like this.
  5. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Cast is superb. And the writing and direction is as great as Season 1. Don’t really know what the final scene of ep. 2 was suppose to be, besides maybe a Dream.

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Had no idea this was even the out yet. Watched the trailers in this thread and after reading the comments I'll be blasting the surround sound and watching this weekend. Too cold to clean the pool anyways... beer, couch and suspense sounds nice.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Senator

Senator Member

Two totally different audiences

Netflix releases predictable crap for teenagers, terrible comfort formula's meant for bored people, hoping one of them catches on over the million mediocre options
    HBO releases high quality stuff for adults, so it can be slowly released and hyped

Prefer Brit crime shows like broadchurch to True Detective, it tries too hard instead of getting on with it

#107 Senator, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

One part of me wishes they would release all episodes Netflix style at once except the last 2.

9. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

Netflix is just tv to watch while you play on your phone, with obiously a couple of excetptions. YOU was nice, kinda of a dexter bite but enjoyed it

10. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Clutchfans pool party this summer?

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

As for the end of the episode 2, I think he's suffering from memory loss. The have that sequence in the first episode with him and the recorder so he remembers stuff...assumed it was a sign he's got early onset alzheimer or something.....

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

watched the first 2 episodes. Good stuff. I'm in.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Between the Walls and Shutdowns, he can't find anybody to do it for him.

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Just finished episode 3.This is got to be one of the most engrossing shows I've ever seen. What I particularly like is how episode by episode you are getting pieces of the entire story so that by the final episode the entire narrative will be become known. This approach is what made Season 1 so very memorable and was largely abandoned during Season 2. The acting is superb - especially Mahershala Ali. You can almost feel the devasting emotional toll this case is taking on him from the pained and tortured expressions on his face. Stephen Dorff is terrific as well in that you get to see how differently he's affected. His character isn't as haunted by this case to the degree Ali's has been. The dynamics of this show are simply...perfect. You just don't get TV shows like this these days and that's a shame.

GRENDEL likes this.
  15. Outlier

Outlier Member

I hate waiting one entire week for the next episode

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Still trying to feel it out

Rocket River

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah this is the last episode I am going to watch I think. On the week of the finale I will watch the first 3 over again and then watch all of them. Better in my opinion.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Ali winning that emmy?

GRENDEL likes this.
  19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I think episode 3 was a noticeable step down from the first two episodes, but still watchable. Ali is very good.

20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yes. So is the costume and makup crew. I had no idea that was the same dude from house of cards.