1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HATE/RACISM/PREJUDICE difference

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SwoLy-D, Jul 10, 2015.

?

Do you agree with with what the image included in the thread says?

1. Yes. I agree with what the image says.

58.8%
  2. No. I do not agree with what the image says.

5.9%
  3. I agree partly... yes... no... wait... what were we talking about?

17.6%
  4. HEY! I ordered a cheeseburger!

17.6%
  1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

RE: removal of flags, removal of monuments, words from political peeps, fights, etc. coming up. SENSITIVE topic. We can discuss it here, I guess.

What is HATE, RACISM, or PREJUDICE? :(

Just saw a photo of the black kid in PEANUTS, with "We can remove flags and symbols all day | It's the hate in people's hearts that needs to be removed":
    [​IMG]

I might HATE the mods for banning me from The Hangout (shut it and listen! stop giggling... :p ) but I won't act violent or any negative way towards them if I see them on the street.

I might be RACIST and think I am fearful of people of other color than what I am, but when next to a coworker of that color or someone on the street of that color, I don't act towards that.

I might have PREJUDICE to thinking someone with a different belief than mine is thinking wrongly, but I won't act out on that and will treat them kindly on the street or at work or at school... you know?

I think it's our ACTIONS that define how badly we treat each other base on those things: HATE, RACISM, PREJUDICE.

Do you agree with the photo above, yes or no?

2. bongman

bongman Member

All 3 are usually a by-product of ignorance. Education is the key.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I hate ignorance

4. Nook

Nook Member

I always see this.... people just throw it out... but there are plenty of extremely well educated and adjusted people that are racist, sexist or bigoted. I am not saying that it is right or should be accepted, but this idea that education will cure all ills seems false.

5. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

But ignorance is bliss?

6. bongman

bongman Member

Just because you are educated, it does not mean you know everything. When people like me throw things out like this, it means being educated on a particular subject.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Again, you can be educated on a particular subject and still be racist/sexist/bigoted.... it is a cop out answer. People support positions others (even a majority of people) find repulsive and it isn't necessarily a result of ignorance or a lack of education.

8. bongman

bongman Member

What? Why do you think some people are racist? They are born that way or somewhere along the way, they somehow learned to think like that because either of an experience or somebody taught them that concept (learning). If you can learn it, you can unlearn it - education.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I supposed the intended point here is that removing flags won't stop racism. That's a great sentiment, but racially charged symbolism, speech and appeals to authority when churches and government institutions validate bigotry it goes a long way to conditioning the impressionable and disenfranchised into believing and acting upon it. I happen to not feel that way about the Confederate flag due to its historical relevance to the single most important event in country's history, but the change minds, not words or symbols argument is hollow, because absolutely no one proffering it is earnestly working to mitigate racism or resulting discrimination; they're just wanting to not be told what to do by "liberals" or groups of people they're used to ignoring or marginalizing.

10. cml750

cml750 Member

Removing the flag is only symbolic and does not really accomplish anything substantive. Shame on the Democrat governor who put up that flag in the first place and congrats to the Republican governor who took it down.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

When Henry Gates was a kid, his doctor misdiagnosed his broken hip as "stress" from being too smart, because he answered a bunch of historical and math questions correctly. That's just some country fresh, beechwood aged racism right there.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Shame on Southern conservatives for murdering and terrorizing blacks for a hundred years, destroying their own culture and economy by banning blacks from schools, property ownership or skilled trades, then switching to the Republican party once Democratic primaries were integrated and they couldn't make it to a general election. Shame on self-reportedly "above-average IQ" posters who forego their intellectual honesty so they can be part of a team.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Again.... Overly simplistic. You are assuming that people don't want to be bigoted/racist/sexist. Different people draw different conclusions for a variety of reasons. This idea that somewhere along the way someone taught them to be racist is simplistic hogwash in some cases. Most people are exposed to some degree of racism/sexism/bigotry. Also who decides what exactly is sexism/racism/bigotry? Jesse Jackson has a very different idea of racism than you or I may have.

Some people are educated, exposed to many different things, worldly and still are racist. You don't have to like it, you can fight against and denounce it.... but this overly simplistic "ignorance" idea is insulting.

This is a point that I think is often over looked. Black Southerners ARE a big part of the South and the Southern culture. If someone loves the Southern culture that should include black influences and contributions.... News flash, instead of fighting to keep blacks disenfranchised, work on incorporating them and giving them opportunities and these same conservatives might be shocked how similar there values and morals align with black southerners.

As an aside places in the Midwest and North need to stop patting themselves on the back; they are in many ways as bad or worse in their treatment of blacks.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The only hitch there is that nobody up there ever put anything on paper, since they initially only had to deal with 10% of the black population. On the one hand it's a little harder to historically indict them for enforcing de facto segregation, but it also means that when white individuals, business owners or educators decided to accommodate blacks, cops weren't obligated to respond to calls and officials weren't expected to sponsor additional legislation incorporating segregation into every new school, business, neighborhood or public facility that came along.

Northern and Midwestern superintendents weren't shutting down entire districts and then sponsoring white scholarships to newly formed "Christian" academies, Northern and Midwestern academics weren't drafting hygiene studies and sending cautionary pamphlets on sharing bathrooms and water fountains with blacks, Northern and Midwestern senators weren't holding 100-hour filibusters and giving speeches about miscegenation.

That probably allowed Northern whites to interact enough with non-whites on equal footing in fully cooperative environments early enough in the Interwar and Postwar eras that they weren't embarrassing and stigmatizing themselves with violent and petty reactions to integration once nightly news and photojournalism came along.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I don't mean historically, I mean right now. For example Chicago. The citizens and politicians will boast about race relations in the city... But in reality it is pretty bad. The Southside of Chicago is overwhelmingly black and there are no resources, the schools are literally crumbling and the amount of black people killed on the Southside is jaw dropping... But the people living in the rest of Chicago don't care.

16. bongman

bongman Member

Please explain to us how one person develops this point of view without having to learn it from something? Does the person all of a sudden wake up and suddenly they WANT to be a racist? Just like your example of JJ. Yes, he has a different point of view when it comes to the subject but where did he form this opinion from? Experience, news, history, literature.,etc. This is all part of his education in life. Being educated does not mean some form of higher learning. One of my earliest education from my dad was how to turn a screw.

Studies on very young kids show that they don't know the concept of racism so this implies that we learn it while growing up. I don't understand why you feel insulted with this discussion. Instead of feeling insulted, please educate me with facts and studies.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Virtually everything is a learned behavior but that doesn't mean that it is ignorance that makes someone racist/sexist/bigoted. Education is not going to suddenly change every bigot. There are bigots that are extremely educated on the topic and are not going to change their mind and it has nothing to do with ignorance or education. People reach different conclusions and hold different values. Further who defines when someone is a racist/sexist/bigot. It is extremely arbitrary on the margins, why I used the example of Jesse Jackson. He is polarizing, half the people view him as a racist opportunist and half the people view him as a social justice warrior. Which group is he in? Please enlighten me as to which group is ignorant so that we can enlighten them or better yet let's have an education show down.

I have no issue with teaching that we all are equal and to respect and love one another. However it is an over simplified approach to the world and that is why it is insulting. It is also insulting because it removes personal responsibility. Some people are educated rational actors and decide to be racist. Just like some people choose to be abusive or steal or having any number of other beliefs or behaviors.

So if you want to throw out pop cultural phrases like it is ignorant or a lack of education, go ahead; but there is nothing uniquely special about racism/sexism/bigotry.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

What WILL CURE it? If you can recognize that it is a problem,

If you can have Personal Responsibility as an accepted practice,

What actions can be done to remedy racism/sexism/bigotry?

19. Orange

Orange Member

You must be stupid. Those democrats would be republicans now a days.

20. bongman

bongman Member

Thank your for agreeing with me. The same education that made some people become jihadists are basically the same for racists, prejudice, etc. You were the one that claimed that there is more to racism than ignorance. Now prove it and quit acting like you are the only one who has been victimized by racism. When people start throwing out "I am insulted" that is a tell tale sign they have nothing to back up their claim. Emotional pleading :rolleyes: