1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Curry's value to GSW been underrated the last 4 years?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheRealist137, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He is the best shooter ever. Not a top 3 pg yet for career, but could be.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

FraudKerr:

3. OTMax

OTMax Member

He means player that makes me look like a genius coach :p

Mr. Clutch and J.R. like this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I actually like Curry. His first MVP I just legit felt Harden was better
    I was really pissed when they changed the narrative to fit Westbrook
    I was mad because you could not have it both ways

That said.
    I legit like Curry. He seems like a decent dude
    I legit like LeBron

Hate them playing the Rockets

I just think KD's gravity is not as strong as Curry's (or HArden's for that matter)
    Curry 'pulls' people open . . . .thompson etc. . . . the spacing etc.

Rocket River

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Outside of Scoring .. .what does he do better than any of those 4?

Rocket River

6. Mr. Clutch

Nothing, but that's how good his scoring is. And he's not really bad at anything, his defense is ok because he hustles

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The only reason he is a PG is because someone has to have the label on the team
    He is basically a Shooting Guard who plays with another Shooting Guard.

Rocket River

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Answer me the proverbial "if you had to start a franchise, what player would you choose?" question. In your list, Curry would be higher than KD? Definitely not in mine.

Curry has always been the heart and soul of the Warriors, but IMO, KD is definitely the better player. (Especially when you look at both ends of the floor). The gap between them isn't sizable like it was between LeBron and Wade, but it's clearly there. That said, KD will probably never replace Curry as the center of the Warriors universe. KD is the mercenary; Curry is franchise.

If you could remember KD's MVP year where the entire offense revolved around him when WB was injured, ain't no way Curry could have had that same kind of run with that squad.

9. ballscientist1

Some sports fans does not know the true meaning of basketball.
    Basketball players are here for the game. They defend, they score, they play to gain points. Word does not symbolize greatness. Teamwork has an crucial meaning behind. There is a reason Mr. Curry won 73 games and Jordon won 72 games in a season.

With this regard, The top 3 best guards in the nba history are/will be:

Jordan
    Magic
    Mr. Curry

10. Mr. Clutch

Eh,I think he's a good enough ball handler and passer to be a pg

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yes and No. Yes in the sense that people say talk about Green and Klay as just a step below Curry as part of the big 3/4 but really those two have always been overrated due to on/off numbers that Curry the superstar generated for them.

No in the sense that Durant is actually better than he's showing because the Warriors are set up to cater to Curry not Durant. Durant is like Harden/Westbrook as a ISO, hold the ball type superstar but the Warriors are ball movement team. If that team was set up for Durant he'd look much better than he does now.

A_3PO likes this.
  12. Mr. Clutch

ISO thunder with Durant had the same problems they are having now

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Color me surprised at how horrible GSW is without Curry. Maybe those guys aren't even stars and Curry just made them one.

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Not sure how anyone who consistently finishes within the top 5 in MVP voting for the past 5 seasons could be considered overrated.

He's one of the best players in the league, like him or not, can't argue with that.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Per nbawowy, from 2014-2016 before Durant left, when Durant was on the court and Westbrook was off, the Thunder had a 116 ortg and 107 drtg. On the Warriors when Durant was on the court and Curry off, despite having better teammates, the Warriors have been 111 ortg and 108 drtg.

To equate those two and say he wasn't more successful in OKC as the lone star is just wrong.

16. OTMax

OTMax Member

This last month without Curry, Klay & Green have shown they are not All-Star worthy and Durant that he's still the beta and not capable of leading.

17. Mr. Clutch

Interesting I would not have guessed this. I remember OKC back in the day would stagnate and people would usually blame Westbrook.

Maybe Kerr isn't the genius coach we all thought

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

People blame WB for loss to Warriors, but KD was sucking against them too.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

People think Kerr as being some innovative genius but really his offense just uses a lot of the old triangle concepts. It's why he was originally the Knicks coach under Phil Jackson. His offense worked because he has generational shooters but it's not like the Warriors get great shots. They're great shots because Curry and Thompson and Durant shoots them.

If anything D'Antoni has adapted much more to his personnel, as the Rockets slowed down and became more methodical to fit CP3 and their new older vets. But Durant in Golden State mostly changed to fit them rather than the other way around.

da_juice, Koperboy and Mr. Clutch like this.
  20. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

It seems to me like you hate what media paints as image of Curry and not the player per se. I wonder what we would think of teams and players if we didn't watch the media at all, just games. We would probably be better off, but a bit less invested in players/teams.