1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Curry's value to GSW been underrated the last 4 years?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheRealist137, Apr 10, 2018.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Over the last 4 years we've been saying that Curry has had a stacked team surrounding him. When it now seems like Curry is the guy making other players look way better than they really are.

This year with Curry the warriors are a 60 win team. Without Curry they look pitiful

roslolian and jevjnd like this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

yes he is. Makes his teammates 10x better

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've been saying for 2-3 months this year's Warriors are worse than last year. Their chemistry is off and their bench is terrible. This is the year they hit the wall.

Clearly this late season Steph Curry injury spree has been catastrophic. But they were coming unglued (at least some) anyway.

Bottom line: Many people on this forum hate Curry and have tried to delegitimize his greatness every chance they get. Those folks have undervalued him. To the rest of us looking at things clearly, we always saw how good he was.

On the other hand, I believe the Warriors were showing slippage before Curry's injuries. His absence is masking real problems. IMO, if KD had missed games instead of Curry, they would have sucked wind the last month just the same.

Easy, studogg, hakeem94 and 1 other person like this.
  4. BackdoorHarden

All those wide open shots everyone was getting are now all contested shots without Curry. I guess we really underrated him

Damn Luc is hurt!!!

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yep, he and LeBron have been the best players in the league for several years. He is the who one who makes the Warriors almost unbeatable. Otherwise, they're just another 50 win team.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Of course he has been under-rated

He is a candidate for a double team or triple team the moment he crosses the half line

That makes it so much easier for others. He has been a top 3 player in the league for several years running now

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. rocks123

rocks123 Member

Well he did won 2 MVPs and a fan favorite maybe even more so than Lebron. I just think GSW is not as formidable as before even with curry. Ofcourse this forum will undervalue him. He aint playing for the rockets and always competes for the MVP against Harden. Westbrook was a fan favorite here in the forum until ofcourse when he won over Harden. Now he's westbrick.

8. Mr. Clutch

Yeah, Iguodola isn't good this year, Zaza is crap, etc.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Why else do you guys think Durant snaked his way to Oakland?

Play with a ball hog who only cares about stuffing the stat sheet

Or

Play with a superstar that actually opens the floor for you to shoot open jumpers.

10. jayland

jayland Member

People here like to hate on Curry but if you are being honest Curry is a better player than Steve Nash in his prime when he won his MVPs.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Curry has obviously always been a top 5 player, you have to be stupid to deny that

But this situation has more to do with Kevin Durant being severely overrated. #2 player my ass, guy cant do **** on his own. Steph is clearly their best player

Rocket River and BigShasta like this.
  12. OTMax

OTMax Member

People don’t believe what they post necessarily. Lot of emotion come to play. The hate for Curry has plenty of reasons: not a Rocket, media darling, mouthpiece, spoiled child, portrayal in the media, no handchecking, plays for the Warriors, plays for a team that gets away with a lot, plays for the most dominant team, has won MVP (over Harden) and more.

I dislike him predominantly because of his behaviour on the court, that smugness on his face, paired with how the media treats him. However, as a basketball fan, I love his play. I love watching him play. Would be my favourite guy in the league if he played for the Hornets or some other team I don’t strongly dislike and didn’t get all that attention. As a person he’s very likeable, like Harden kind of laidback.

People just need to be honest about Curry, especially when you see how they treat him and Westbrook compared to Harden. He’s great, all-time shooter, best range ever, can create off the dribble, very good passer and ability to finish in the lane and close around the basket and can play some defense.

However, he’s not automatically top 5 PG ever yet or best shooter ever or passer, definitely not a good defender. The media tends to crown guys too early and since he’s a favourite act like he doesn’t have flaws. The media cannot help but make you dislike a player, especially when our own guy gets shat on for every little thing.

#12 OTMax, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    ferrari77 and IvanLCPM like this.
  13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Curry is a more efficient scorer than shaq in his prime.

Red Chocolate likes this.
  14. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

What? I agreed with your post except for that. Which 5 PGs would be in front of him, even if you compare his still ongoing career with the finished ones from Top PGs?

In no particular order, the only four guys I see ahead of him (for now!) are Magic, Robertson, Stockton and CP3. With Curry having several seasons yet to play, I see him rising over most of those.

15. OTMax

OTMax Member

I mean he got the title after one great season. Not just him. To me, you cannot make a serious argument for Harden being one of the best SGs ever without actually having gone through years of being a serious MVP candidate, going for a championship etc. Back in the day, people didn't crown guys like in this era so early and even before they've proven over and over again they can do it.

The best example I have is Kevin Durant. In OKC, people made a case of probably best SFs ever right. Well, he hasn't been able to lead OKC aside from one year - arguably, because he was maybe not even the best player on that team - and now you can see how he does without Curry. If I would've been asked about Durant in OKC, I would've definitely said he's one of the best I've ever seen. Ask me now, I'll say he's not that great in terms of all-time SFs or players even.

Leave that best ever to when a guy has proven for several years he's the best at his position, of the league, stats wise and then we can talk about making these cases.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The ridiculous shots and the leads he piles on is almost unbelievable until you see it. It's like he's practicing for a 4pt line.

I don't really want to give him that much credit...

17. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Well GSW has two titles and best regular season record in history, and despite other 3 all stars, we can see now how indispensable he is. Since his career isn't over, maybe we can say his peak years are in Top5 PGs. Kinda like peak Hakeem is probably Top2-3 players ever.

OTMax likes this.
  18. jbasket

jbasket Member

I think that anybody reasonable had him top 5. That doesn't scream underrated to me.

19. Mr. Clutch

He snaked his way to Golden State because he wanted more help. He knew he wasn't good enough as the #1 guy.

Remember that OKC was up 3-1 on the Curry warriors, then Durant choked. That was 2016

20. OTMax

OTMax Member

Ow definitely, now we can start to talk about it. Definitely crazy peaks, both of them! My overall point was mainly though that particularly with Curry, but also Westbrook and Lebron to a degree, is how the media treats them like flawless, best ever, can do no wrong, such great guys, are never accused personally of quitting and or not playing well and when they do it’s not brought up again constantly like with others.

It’s the media’s favouritism and double standard that makes it even worse. I loved Curry before they started to treat him, the Warriors, Klay, Green, and Kerr as the chosen ones and create this narrative of perfect suburban rich kids, all cuddly baby faced guys who should be protected from critics and accepted as the perfect team. You think Green would’ve been liked and defended this much for his kicking antics if he had been on any other team?

I don’t want to start anything, but to me there’s definitely a case to be made that they are treated like this in fact because Curry and Klay come from privileged backgrounds, are family men, have NBA players as fathers and yes are light skinned. It just suits the American portrayal of a perfect well-off family man so well. As opposed to the guy who has some tattoos, from the hood, no wife, no kids, enjoying the club scene and what not.

The media is starting to come back on it a little bit, but it took a whole lot for that to happen. Look at all the ejections, technicals, their entitled behaviour and that’s actually Durant first and foremost. Without him, I don’t think anyone would have something negative to say about Green, Curry etc.

Sorry to go off track a bit, but for me this all plays a part in disliking him and or not giving him enough credit. I’m sure there’s plenty who can relate to this.