1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Bob reached Bud's status yet?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ballgame, Apr 9, 2018.

1. ballgame

ballgame Member

Bud Adams was far and away Houston's worst sports owner! More worse than John McMullen of the Astros and I don't think anyone liked McMullen. But Bud will always be remembered as "The Grinch" who took our Oilers away. Even in death, I don't think true Oiler Fans ever forgave him.

Bob McNair is quickly reaching their status. And I'm wondering, how does someone go from the city's MOST BELOVED TO MOST HATED? I still remember when Bob McNair won the bid to bring football back to Houston, the celebrations in Downtown Houston, the announcement to name the new franchise. So, how did we get here?? Is it the constant loosing? sticking with coaches too long? bad GMs?

I listen to all of Houston's Sport Stations; 790am, 610am, 1560am, 97.5fm and no one has come out and said anything favorably about Bob McNair, outside of his extensions, John McClain and Marc Vandermeer. But even after finally drafting a Franchise QB and having one of the most notable Defensive Players in the NFL, in JJ Watt on the roster, his favorable status is going down faster than Dow Jones after an interest rate hike.

I THINK HIS PROBLEMS ARE SELF INFLICTED. It's easy to see, he is not good with a mic in his face and needs to defer to a spokesperson. But since he has spoken to the public. We, as fans, have a pretty good clue of how he feels about Political views, ethnicity, etc. And because his views are antiquated, does that turn off most of the fans against the owner and his franchise? Either way you see it, The Texans are behind The Rockets and Astros in the eye's of the public right now and sinking further.

raining threes likes this.
  2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nobody will touch Bud. He moved the Oilers shortly after demanding renovations to the Astrodome. He was Charles Foster Kane in River Oaks.

The Texans are a sad-sack franchise and people are frustrated. Winning cures everything and McNair's unending loyalty to Rick Smith has bred years of frustration. If the Texans could ever compete outside of the AFC South and not waste the prime years of franchise players, nobody would care what the owner has to say.

3. ballgame

ballgame Member

I understand what you're saying but do you think the players and fans, who has been offended, play to the best of their ability and root for someone who has obvious different views. He's made it know on several different occasions. I WISH he can learn to keep his mouth close or obtain a spokesperson.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nah. Bud Adams hated Houston. McNair only hates players who voice their opinion.

airflights92 and juanm34 like this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

equally plausible question -- has Jimmy Carter reached Hitler status yet?

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not until he goes full villain on us.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

To be fair, Bob Lanier might have hated Bud Adams more than Bud hated Houston. Remember, Bud offered up something like $75M of his own money to help finance a new stadium, but Lanier essentially blocked it, which set the gears in motion for Bud to leave. I know people are nostalgic about the Astrodome, but it was a flaming pile of garbage those last few years of the Oilers, and Bud was already losing money on the team.

With all that being said, Bud was a god-awful owner, and a pretty big ******* to boot.

macho GRANDE and juanm34 like this.
  8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

He offered up money for a dome that he represented to the city that the Rockets would play in without ever checking to see if the Rockets would agree to play there. The Rockets wanted no part in either playing in a Dome or sharing a building with another major tenant.

But ultimately, he demanded a new stadium after threatening to move the team to Jacksonville if the city/county didn't make upgrades to the Dome. We were still playing the interest on those bonds when he threatened to move again if he didn't get a new stadium. We made those improvements and Bud said that it was the best stadium in the country after that.

Fast forward 6 years, and Bud embarrasses himself with the Rockets/Oilers dome I mentioned above. Bud signed a deal to negotiate exclusively with Nashville for 12 months. Houston - Harris County officials couldn't even negotiate with him. When that deal expired, we offered an open air stadium to him....but he had already struck a deal in Tennessee; which was incredibly short-sighted given the relative markets.

I always come back to the fact that after a whole life and career here spent making a lot of money, literally no one in this city stood up for the man. No one championed his cause. Karma. When you spend a lifetime treating people like dirt, it comes back to you.

9. ballgame

ballgame Member

Karma is a MOTHER! But is Bob creating his own pathway of Karma, that will eventually lead back to him. Lying, taking back apologies, discrimination, etc. Sure Bud took our team away but we never question his moral character. Bud just wanted a better Stadium deal.

10. msn

msn Member

Everyone who hates on McMullen (and he deserves the criticism) as the "worst ever" clearly doesn't remember the days of being owned by a credit company.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure McNair would have to actually do something wrong first for that to happen. I mean, I know there are certain groups wanting to lynch him for whatever reason, but those aren't really people who matter.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

People questioned Bud's moral character all the time. I don't think Bob will ever be hated as much as Bud was, honestly.

13. ballgame

ballgame Member

It's easy to hide behind a computer and say what you really feel. You've mastered it well! But those like Kaepernick and others, who choose to speak out, who put their money behind what their beliefs and to stand up for their cause, are the people that matter.

14. ballgame

ballgame Member

He's on his waaaay. All he needs is for someone to put the mic in his face 1 or 2 more times and I think he will be there. And with the NFL Draft and Training Camp on the horizon, McNair should be there by Fall.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, now that's funny.

16. ballgame

ballgame Member

It's really funny when it's true. LOL!

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure you think so, but if you are a person who looks up to idiots like Kaepernick....well, let's just say I'll consider your opinion for what it's worth and have that be that.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

For the most part, Adams alienated the fans. McNair is alienating the players.

Canadiandude and macho GRANDE like this.
  19. ballgame

ballgame Member

If a person takes a stance to help others, by putting a $1M of his own money up and protesting w/o HURTING ANYONE.....so, yes please consider my opinion for what it's worth

20. ballgame

ballgame Member

You need to listen to the local airways. He's alienating parts of the fan base too