1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden's noticeable improvement in defensive focus.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by flamingdts, Oct 12, 2017.

1. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Harden's offense has been shaky so far this season, and I think a lot of that has to do with him still trying to figure things out with Chris Paul (evident by the fact that Harden blew up against the Knicks when Paul was sitting). However, we have still been winning games despite the fact, and it seems like our defense has been much improved so far this pre-season.

Harden has shown much better defensive awareness in every aspect, and is also exerting much more effort on defense. Is this Chris Paul rubbing off on Harden, or is it because Harden is taking offensive plays off now giving him much more energy on defense?

2. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Defense is key. Top 3 offense with top 5-10 defense will give the Rockets a chance against the Warriors.

Even being the best offense means nothing without good defense.

don grahamleone and ISOBall like this.
  3. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

4. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

He looks like he's doing better watching his man off ball.

What he needs to work on now is communicating when help responsibility changes between him and the other defender on the weak side.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Cue ESPN highlighting Harden's first really bad defensive play of the season, with hosts laughing afterward.

There was one play in last night's game where CP3 pretty much just gave up on someone's drive to the hoop, not contesting it in the slightest. Had that been Harden, you'd already be seeing it on ESPN this morning.

BigMaloe, Deuce, amaru and 2 others like this.
  6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Pls edit post in case ESPN is lurking and gets bad ideas.

7. Luke_The_Duke

Luke_The_Duke Member

CP3 is a Hard-Nosed Competitor & That Has to Rub off on James Harden. We already know he is a Great Offensive Player, now he needs to work on his Defense just like Steph Curry did. Harden won't have to worry about carrying the Offense this season. He needs to work on Defense, FT's, & Consistency in the Playoffs! Then we can talk about Competing against the Warriors. Any who Next Tuesday Fixing to be LIT!!!!

Tfor3 likes this.
  8. Nivos

Nivos Member

Ye I saw a bit more effort on that department. Also boxing out for rebounds which was one of our weaknesses last season.
    If we manage to get into top 10 on defense and cut turnovers under 13 we have a fighters chance against any team.
    I'm becoming more optimistic that GS are beatable, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

don grahamleone and seeingredtx like this.
  9. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

I am a Harden fan, however anything is an upgrade defensively for him if he is trying. How many times did we see him get blown by, or him to half a$$ reach around to try to poke the ball out as they go by and then look and yell at Capela or Ariza for the help defense. Help defense is there when there is time to react. When the player gets free run to the basket, you cant expect your guys to leave theirs in time. Just saying anything better then prior effort is good for me.

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. valorita

valorita Member

My observation was that the team switches on picks. I think that this is done specifically to mitigate one of Harden's biggest defensive flaws in being able to fight through screens.

Our roster can play that way when we put out a certain roster.

But I think it was telling that MDA said something like we were switching out of convenience (lazy).
    Perhaps instead of actual game plan.

Harden's biggest flaws
    1) ball watching on backdoors and boxouts
    2) not fighting through screens
    3) careless turnovers
    4) forcing threes

So far in the preseason, he has shown me nothing to improve from prev years.

Harden is ultimately a brilliant offensive player that has severe flaws in his game from a dedication and stylistic standpoint that will always prevent him being a top 3 player in the league.

Hopefully Paul will help him with that.

11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...and I would say the opposite - they switch with Harden because he is the rare small player who is strong enough to put up a decent defense against larger/strong/slower offensive players.

Also, let's not forget that part of what makes GS so good is that they can switch on nearly everything and still put up a reasonable defensive effort. You may call it a lazy gameplan but it also happens to be the strategy of one of the best teams of all time.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

People keep mentioning CP3 when it comes to being on Hardens ass about defense, buy I saw Raptor fans praising Tucker for really helping DeRozan D up last season. Hopefully one if not both of them keep him true on the defensive end.

don grahamleone and seeingredtx like this.
  13. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Great thread OP.

Not sure if its CP3 or all the additions as a whole, but I've noticed it as well.

Great to see. Hope it continues.

majicdonjuan and don grahamleone like this.
  15. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Don't be stupid

His defense has been ****. 4 plays off the top of my head from last game, and classic backdoor play by Roberson first game. Thats just based off the top of my head, not actually looking at it.

Let's not be delusional. His is still ****ing miserable.

SIL

16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

What 4 plays were those?

17. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

2 were with Ennis, and I remember him looking back at Ariza and Ryno like c'mon guys...it was his fault though. The other one the guy went right by him, just flat out. No resistance. And then another he and PJ switched, but he didn't actually switch in the 3rd I believe.

I'll point them all out in the SA game thread for future validity and credibility. Everyone of them

SIL

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Invisible Fan and Pen15clubber like this.
  19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Please edit your quote of that post in case ESPN is lurking and gets bad ideas.

Deckard likes this.
  20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Can we talk about Ryan Andersons amazing defense and box out skills? Makes me really excited............... that he will never play in the end of any games this year.

amaru likes this.