1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden minutes restriction next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, May 24, 2019.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I feel like we should mandate Harden play no more than 35 MPG next year. Kawhi averaged less than that this year (while also missing a bunch of games for load management), no one on the Warriors averaged 35 MPG this year. Pop would do it with great success on the Spurs.

Minutes restriction accomplishes a few things.

1. It keeps Harden fresher and allows him to maybe have more in the tank in the Playoffs
    2. It forces other guys to develop and step up in order for the Rockets to win
    3. It exposes are roster shortcomings and puts more pressure on Morey to make changes
    4. It forces MDA to stop being so reliant on Harden bailing the team out.

You might argue, what if our team can't win enough without Harden playing more minutes?

I would say, if this team needs Harden to carry them again next season to the same extent, then they aren't championship caliber anyway. So what's the difference between getting a 3 seed and losing vs getting a 6 seed and losing.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I don't know about a minutes restriction, but I agree with everything else you said. If you modified it to say that Harden sits more frequently for load management, giddy-up.

I am open to minute restrictions as well, but I'm not sure that would have the impact you're looking for. I think that asking the team to win several games during the year without Harden is a good idea. It teaches then to win no matter what, but of course Harden is an excellent option to have on any given play on offense or defense.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

2 things that I think are more important and would be more beneficial are dramatically lowering his usage rate and giving him scheduled rest games throughout the season

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you say so....

I also thought you had a tweet from the FO.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Can clutchfans handle winning even less games?

Rocket River

juanm34 and Stormy1234 like this.
  6. bmelo

bmelo Member

Harden wasnt tired he just choked. I dont see point in minutes restrictions since they dont hold practices and he walks with the ball in granny mode. Kawhi is exhausted right now despite minutes restrictions and it shows he is not his 100% but magicaly every most high pressure moment he either makes a shot or gets a stop

7. Game7

Game7 Member

He should be restricted to 48 minutes per game. Just my opinion.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I didn’t notice fatigue being a big issue for Harden in this postseason (to his credit). He just didn’t play well at times.

amaru, topfive and daywalker02 like this.
  9. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Dat MVP doe...

daywalker02 likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Little disagree here, only little. He was fatigued in Utah. They were throwing everything at him.

11. Asian Sensation

Don’t you know Harden has 30 Point game streaks to chase and a turnover title to defend?

He’s always resting before June anyways.

12. Asian Sensation

Fatigued? In the First round? In a series that went 5 games? If you really believe he was fatigued cause of Utah’s defense maybe he’s just not bout dat life. He played bad cause he played bad not cause he was tired or Utah’s defense.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Clearly Harden has opted for the Lebron style of "in-game rest" where you walk up the floor sometimes and take a few possessions off. Perhaps a benefit of ISO ball that Harden also likes, when someone else is doing the ISOing, not much energy is needed to stand in the right spot. I don't necessarily agree with this strategy, but if that's the goal then I wish Harden would, you know, stand in the right spot. Too many times he's standing way off the the three point line, telegraphing to the other team, hey don't worry about me on this one. It doesn't take much to walk a few steps up and at least look like a threat to catch and shoot a 3. Perhaps this is one of the underrated reasons he also didn't have many assisted 3s, usually wasn't in position to receive the ball....

15. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

He’s at the age where it’s going to start being necessary. Kawhi is younger and we saw the benefit it had for him. I’ve referenced Stockton before and he too had his career extended by limiting his minutes when he reached 30 years of age. He should also sit some games. I’d like to see him average 70ish games from here on out so that he isn’t completely broken down. His workload has been historically great and historically taxing.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

good luck with selling harden on resting

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Most importantly his legs felt worn out, his shots were flat.

Reason might be the Jazz or not, or the entire season of carrying that team on his shoulders.

18. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

instead of his minutes, the coach need to restrict his touches... He can't have the ball for more than 12 seconds on every freakin possession, dribbling and milking the freakin clock and make everyone watch his circus show.

Easy likes this.
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

That’s not true though he’s had some pretty awful shooting nights.

20. Htowngenius

Htowngenius Member

What about mvp? He cant win it sitting, and we all know thats as important as anything to harden.