1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden can't run point guard position. Bring him back to SG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by koopa, Jun 20, 2017.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

So why did Harden have the best offensive season ever? Because he grabbed 600 rebounds, the vast majority of which were defensive? Or because he assisted on 2,000 points, which speaks to his teammates' excellent overall 3pt shooting more than Harden's ability to create?

2. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

say what you want want, but this season has never been done before harden dod ot, shame he wont get rewarded for it. colorism

3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

"Say what I want?"

Those are the exact arguments from the article you linked. It's not my fault the article you linked lacks substance.

Additionally, when you cherry-pick criteria, lots of seasons have never been done.

4. hakeemthagreat

I don't think he's saying he sucks, but at times he becomes lazy and has too many mental lapses. Plus when your best player & primary ball handler quits, or doesn't feel like competing (example game 6 vs the Spurs) it affects the whole team. It's easier to bring in a pg like CP3 when Harden quits again

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah its definitely easier when having multiple stars/former all stars

gsw: kd, curry, draymond, klay, ai
    cavs: lebron, kyrie, love
    spurs: kawhi, lma, gasol, ginobli
    clips: cp3, blake
    houston: harden

DonKnock likes this.
  6. amaru

amaru Member

Op is assuming Houston will have another option

7. Embrace the clutch

I would love to see James more so at the 3 than I would like to see him at the 2

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

So if Harden's teammates cleared space to let him grab 2-3 more rebounds a game, he could stay at PG?

Got it.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Someone has been studying under the true master, Babadookholic. Alas, you still have much to learn, young Padawan.

DonKnock and FTW Rockets FTW like this.
  10. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Am I telling the truth or not telling the truth?

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Disagree, however it his team does need a more steady and consistent hand come playoff time.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Lies
    Bullshit Lies

Rocket River

don grahamleone likes this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

"SG" or "PG" doesn't matter

Even when he was the SG here he initiated the offense 85% of the time. Under Mike D it became 100%, and next year the want to bring it back down a little.

But SG or PG is irrelevant, he's gonna initiate the offense the majority of the time.

15. hakeemthagreat

Yep. Not having another allstar beside you definitely warrants taking 2 shots in the 1st half of a elimination game.

16. rockpileindisma

Na you are salty that we have harden and y'all have Wes Mathews

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I agree that he can't run point a full game. He has way too many lazy high risk plays and wastes all of his energy on the offensive end. You can't play 100% on offense (which he actually doesn't do, because when he doesn't have the ball, he doesn't move an inch), and do absolutely nothing on defense. How many times did we see him not even put a body on players on rebounds and give up dozens of second chance points against SA? Harden is a very gifted player, but he's lazy as hell on defense and even on offense at times. We will not win a title with him playing this way.

koopa likes this.
  18. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Yeah why would they want to bring in a point guard? It's not like they are thinking about Chris Paul or anything.

19. SemisolidSnake

Bingo. This is what perplexes me about the Chris Paul rumors. Paul is a true point guard, and always has been. He's going to be the one initiating offense 100% of the time if he comes to the team. He's not going to just hand the ball to James every time. So how do you adjust Harden who's been initiating offense 85-100% of the time for years to this new world? It's just not sufficient to get a bunch of big names on your team; you need to have a way for them to complement each other rather than stepping on each others' toes. It's probably possible, but you'd need a creative and flexible coach to do it, and Houston's offense is the pinnacle of inflexibility.

I don't know. You can't ignore Harden's astounding regular season numbers, especially from last year, but you also can't ignore his tendency to mentally crash in the playoffs, either. I don't know, but I think you'd basically have to hand leadership of Harden's team off to CP3 if you managed to snag him. Might not be a bad idea, but I bet James wouldn't like it.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

*Harden puts up historic numbers and leads a historically dominant offense*

"Harden can't run the point guard position!"

Clutchfans is incredible