1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden 2018... still a doubter???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Jun 4, 2018.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Note the question markets in the title. I definitely got into it with some last year regarding Harden's upside as a #1 guy come playoff time. I have a bet with someone on Harden leading the team to a championship in 4 years... 3 years left.... if Lebron comes it'd clearly be Lebron leading the team to a championship, but I'll pay up nonetheless if it happens ;)

I ABSOLUTELY get that when CP3 went down, we once again rolled the ball with Harden plus "meh".

That said ... tl;dr - I feel generally the same about Harden as last year, am again generally disappointed about his playoff performances given his regular season MVP-esque performance, and still doubt his ability to lead the team as the #1 guy.

I'll spoiler the LONGER version:

Issues about his game from last year, in no particular order, and how it can be "exposed' in the playoffs.

- Relies too much on the 3 point shot, including taking more when he's not hitting. After this year... pretty much the same, if not worse.

- Relies too much on getting fouled. After this year... even worse. Went from 10.3 FTAs per 36 minutes in the regular season down to 7.7 per 36 minutes in the post season... It just is what it is. I ABSOLUTELY think he got shafted on calls. But if it hasn't been clear from rule changes the league has made to eliminate "Harden-fouls" in the offseasons, it should be clear from the #s. He's not going to get all the calls he wants/needs in the playoffs.

- Way too turnover prone. After this year... improved DRASTICALLY. I give him lots of credit for this. For the most part, he cut WAY WAY down on stupid passes and silly turnovers just dribbling or whatnot. Of course... AS MUCH AS ANYTHING was that even though his usage was still way high, CP3 had ballhandling duties a lot and CP3 rubbed off on him. UNFORTUNATELY, 9 turnovers and 5 turnovers in the last two games without CP3. 6 turnovers in game 5. So in the last three games of the series he averaged nearly 7 to/game, and had more to's than assists. But I'll give him a pass on that because to the extent the turnovers got bad again, they coincided with the rest of his teammates being horrible again.

- Defense. After this year... this has improved... though not drastically. I think he got better at doing the things well defensively that he does well. Guarding bigs, getting in the passing lanes occasionally, playing solid team defense, and as much as anything recognizing his liabilities and smartly finding ways to compensate (hence steals like the pick on KD one on one). But it is what it is. He still doesn't have the lateral quickness on the perimeter.. is still going to get beat by Shaun Livingston easily on the perimeter, much less great scorers. the additions of CP3, Tucker and Mbah Moute culturally helped here.

- the GSW phenomenon. This isn't particular to Harden and not an indictment on his game, but its still rolling along. About to be 15-1 in their last 16 playoff series. All still in their prime.

Some things that were really disappointing this playoffs:

- The efficiency. This is the hallmark of Harden's game. His 54.8% TS% is tied for the second lowest in his playoff career. This is a function of the crappy 3 point shooting and fewer FT trips. In either case, it went from a near career best of 61.9% in the regular season down to that 54.8%.

- The game speed. I mean, highlight reel ISO plays are cool, and I promise you that I root for him and the Rockets as much as all of you. But I just don't see how I can be a fair fan and not say the slowness of the halfcourt game and constant dribble ISO is infuriating as f***?? Cause it is. Last year it was there too, but the offense had more of a free flow to it. I get that the #s bear out this offense as historically great and better than last year. I get that a slowed down, fewer possesions for the GSW game, limit turnovers approach makes sense on paper. And I get that even though they are semi rushed shots with 3 seconds left, this approach does INDEED still get lots of great looks for Harden or his teammates. It's just SUPER infuriating to watch.... Beyond that though... the guy still refuses to move off ball. This was the big ? coming into the season. Would he move off ball with CP3 handling. The thought was "no" and that it'd be detrimental. In reality, the answer was "no" but that actually worked out very very well. I get it, it worked. Just again, super infuriating.

- The variance. I mean, this isn't particular to this year's playoffs. And in truth, it is impossible to top last years with Game 6 against the Spurs. But while not as singular game pronounced, on the whole, it was just as crazy. Every game 1 was insanely good. Every game 2 was pretty bad. Every series had at least 1 real clunker of a game. Multiple games with GameScores under 8. Six games with 25% or less 3 point % on 10+ three pointers. On the whole this continues the trend of Harden having statistically meaningful lower PER in the playoffs then in the regular season. His playoff PER this year was 25.0. INSANELY good. His career best. Still, down 16% from his regular season. I never did like a full statistical analysis on it, but did do some work I posted about last offseason that indeed supports the fact that absent a select few, most superstars see some degradation in stats in the playoffs... BUT that Harden's decline is larger than most... which continued this year.

- The "super big game" performances. He's not always horrible, but he's rarely great. And usually does have some horrible-ness to it. Game 6 against the Spurs. Game 5/6 and 7 this year against the Warriors weren't kind to him. Game 5 against the Jazz wasn't kind to him this year. Game 6 against the Clippers. Game 5 against the Warriors that year. He was great in Game 6 against Portland. That's probably the only super big back against the wall or tied series payoff game where I can say he's been great (though they lost that game, partly because of some very odd Harden defensive "coaching" as the ball was in-bounded).

- The Harden vs. CP3 debate. Hey, CP3 has his own problems. Dude can't stay healthy in the playoffs. But on the whole, whereas it was Harden that was the clear alpha dog of the team in the regular season, it felt increasingly as the playoffs went on that it was CP3 that was really "leading" the charge in terms of gutting out important wins and impacting the game from that perspective.

- Did Harden + CP3 "really" work? Ok, I get it, this sounds dumb. Harden will win the MVP. CP3 made it the furthest of his career. The Rockets won 65 games, got further than they have since they won the championship. The answer is yes. That said, just pointing out... I honestly am struggling to remember off the top of my head a game where both Harden and CP3 were simply GREAT. It's like they took turns with one being GREAT and the other being pretty solid or bad throughout the season and definitely into the playoffs. This works out because you always have one superstar playing at superstar levels, and another that needs to be respected putting in production even if not superstar level production. But given the GSW phenomenon, I'd have hoped it would have worked better when both were on the court at the same time. This plays into the off ball movement issue.

I mean... I ABSOLUTELY get that Harden is EXTREMELY hard to judge because fact of the matter is GSW do exist, and the Rockets roster even 100% healthy isn't that roster. And when you lose CP3, you're ****ed. Harden didn't go 0-8 and scoreless in game 7. He didn't light the house on fire, though.

I CERTAINLY get that Harden is here for the long haul. He's "our" superstar, and will win this year's MVP.

I INDEED get the fact that Harden isn't even remotely close to the only flawed superstar.

Still... as I was mostly remembered for being a "Greek Freak" lover at some point.. lol, so to go with him (but it'd certainly be the same with AD for example) ... I STILL think, assuming health, I'd move Harden for some, not all of these other superstars or young budding superstars.

Not because these other guys are all better than Harden. Harden is a regular season winning system of himself in ways that some of these guy aren't. But because I still believe Harden will not "lead" a team to a ring. He didn't lead the team to gutsy wins against GSW - CP3 did. if Lebron joins, Harden won't lead the team to post-season wins next year either, regardless of his regular season. And assuming health (eg. of CP3 and EG), all those guys add dimensions to the game that Harden doesn't because of his refusal to (i) move off the ball, (ii) stop shooting threes when he isn't hitting, (iii) mesh with CP3 better, and inability to (iv) play solid perimeter defense. When I consider EG is in NO WAY Harden, but is a better spot up shooter and can drive to the lane, though has no passing ability, but can also play some defense, and could plug into the SG role.. well, to me, a lineup of:

- CP3, EG, Lebron, Giannis, Capela just seems more effective on both sides of the ball

And I want to think differently. because I know, absolutely, Greek Freak isn't the player Harden is. And heck, he wasn't amazing Game 7 against the Celtics. But I don't need him to be. He wouldn't need the usage, he plays much much better defense. Moves without the ball. "Fit wise", with a CP3 and a Lebron, it just makes more sense in my head.

Or the point... first we add CP3, who actually seemed to be the more important alpha as the games got "bigger". Next our hopes are on adding Lebron. And sure, even the biggest Harden fans recognize that Lebron is better. But the comment is, increasingly it's not just about adding other HOF level talent, but rather adding talent that takes leadership and "alpha" responsibilities off Harden in games that count.

2. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

If we won a championship with CP3 and Harden this year (which we probably would have), we would have won it with Harden as the No.1 guy so I don't see your point.

4. JayZ750

We didn't win a championship. CP3 got injured as expected. But that's not the point.

If we would have gotten past GSW, it would have been because of CP3 and not Harden. That's how we got up 3-2. Not that Harden was bad or didn't contribute to meaningfully winning games, just that it was CP3 that was coming through and his style of play and influence on the team that led to those gritty wins... as described in the spoiler :)

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Harden was on the verge of beating the greatest team ever assembled, then lost his star teammate, and lost. I just don't see why there are some so desperate to criticize him.

Harden remains held to a higher standard than any non-Lebron superstar, then those who hold him to said standard, want him traded for lesser players. It baffles my mind.

Blurr#7, CCity Zero, RyanB and 24 others like this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Anything less than a ship and he's some lazy fatso with a penchant for strippers.

Thanks Jeremy and Dwight. Your dingleberry fans are top notch.

Blurr#7, robgue, darksoul35 and 9 others like this.
  7. JayZ750

I just don't understand why some people are so cool with close but not quite??

He lost his star teammate that was the #1 guy and reason for them being up in the series 3-2.
    It's not arguable that they won games 4/5 on the backs of CP3, and Harden wasn't good in the game 2 win either. This is all discussed in the spoiler.

Also the flaws of other superstars are discussed in the spoiler as well.

Not even close to the point being argued in the post....

CapelaOnlyFan likes this.
  8. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

The OP is telling NO lies and some people are TRIGGERED!

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

Even LeBron can't put a relatively "normal/slightly above average team on his back and take them to the promised land against an All-Star team. My concern is that during the playoffs even at the first round level, Harden struggled. It was like the first game he blew out all his gaskets with a Super Star performance. After that, not so much. In the finals, he really struggled. Harden is not a legends type of player. He is no MJ, Magic, or LBJ. Few are. But, in the right setting, he is very, very good.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

Really number one reason, its like you only watched one half of game 4, or forget other games where Harden showed up and CP wasnt doing so well. He was the second best player these playoffs after Lebron.

And btw, just to tell you there isnt ANYONE in the league(sans Lebron) who could do what Harden did these playoffs. No one could do a better job than Harden did. And then you say LOL lets trade him, I hate to break it to you but no one is trading AD or Giannis for Harden for the reasons you yourself listed. Also to be clear you think Lebron comes here without Harden, than you're wrong. Harden is a top 5 talent in the nba, trading him for a better role players doesnt move the needle as much as you think it does against GS.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Harden is a great, great player. I was satisfied with his performance in the playoffs. He was less efficient shooting the ball but better on defense. Other aspects of his game were largely unchanged from the regular season.

You can't expect the guy to dominate one of the greatest teams ever and close out a series when a hugely significant part of the team wasn't on the floor for the last two games. The only player in this league that could have done a better job is LeBron James.

People just have to accept the fact that he isn't one of the greatest players ever. However, he's easily top 5 in the league right now and that's just fine. Probably would have been good enough to win it all this year if CP3 had been healthy.

Elephant810 likes this.
  12. JayZ750

I watched pretty much every game this season.

harden had an amazing stretch in game 4 particular in the late 1st quarter into the second quarter.

CP3 won those games though.

Not sure about 2nd best player these playoffs. AD was better. GSW players have been better (but they have the built in ?? of how good would they be on worse teams).

CapelaOnlyFan and hakeem94 like this.
  13. JayZ750

I generally noted this. He was worse in the playoffs unquestionably... but even the greatest usually are a bit worse ... though the greatest of the greatest are just good whenever and sometimes better in the playoffs.

I'm not going to lay out the various things I thought he did worse in the playoffs then the regular season and as bad if not worse even than last playoffs on the whole... it's in the spoiler.

For the most part, relative to team success, my point was more about overall in the playoffs, game 1's aside, Harden was worse in the playoffs while still having CP3, and most specifically, in the second half of the huge wins against GSW in games 4/5, it was CP3 that drove the ship.

Agree generally, except to note that in this league it may not be just fine. To the point where "leadership" seems to have switched to CP3 this year and the hope is will switch even further to Lebron next year.

Hate these types of comments. Maybe... who knows??

In either case, would have been because of CP3...

14. HP3

HP3 Member

Cmon man, games are played through 4 quarters, if Harden doesnt play amazing we dont win that game. They both won that game for us. Game 5, yea you may have a point.

AD was not better, he got waxed in 5 games, while Looney was holding him down(dont have the exact numbers for that though) if he was really as effective as you say he was, than they would have gotten farther and their team is not bad. GSW can all rely on eachother so no I'm not going to count them. If even one of their big 4 went down, they would crumble.

Patience and hakeem94 like this.
  15. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I don't think Harden is terrible in playoffs. I don't think he is worse than a Russel Westbrick but I think it shows he is nowhere near the player he is in regular season.

buffalobills!!! and JayZ750 like this.
  16. JayZ750

I think you mis-understand.

The concept here isn't that Harden is bad, or isn't part of winning, or extremely important to winning.

This is the 2018 NBA. You aren't winning a ring without at least 2 superstars... at least.

It's about CP3 being the #1 alpha leader in those games to take home the win, and Harden's performances relative to the regular season.

AD was better. His team wasn't better. But he was. Even against GSW.

17. Entropy

Entropy Member

In the end, Luck plays more of a factor than Skill. James Harden is supremely skilled, and supremely unlucky.

Rocket River and hakeem94 like this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He still has stamina issues. I have absolutely no trust in his jump shot in a second half of a game against an elite defense.

He still has slow feet in a sense where he needs to conserve energy by being basically a stand still useless character when he doesn't have the ball on his hands on offense. He just physically is incapable of off the ball movement consistently.

He's still one of if not the most skilled player in the league .I just wish he had the stamina to go along with it .

buffalobills!!! and hakeem94 like this.
  19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

since he got here, always led and carried the rockets farther than any other superstar not named Lebron

anyone who think harden owes them multiple chips should be mad at Morey for not being able to net Lebron for Kmart, Jlamb, and that pick

LOL at these "give us kmart, jlamb, and our pick back" fans

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden in regular season=2nd best player in the NBA behind Bron Bron

Harden in postseason=superstar, but a tier below his regular season self

Harden would’ve been the #1 option for a championship team if not for bad injury luck to CP3

just a side note, but people forget that CP3 had a lot of subpar games in these playoffs too

just in this series against GS, he was bad in games 1 and 3, and just alright in game 2...1st halves of games 4 and 5 he wasn’t good either

people on here were trashing Harden after game 3, but when it came to CP3 going 5-16 in that very same game it was crickets