1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Guidelines

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jan 15, 2019.

1. foh

foh Member

NBC ran the same picture in their headline (but not blurry?).. That really makes them have bias in your eyes? Is this your best example of bias? The other day I looked up youtube clips on Greenland and FOX and there was a clip where a very young gal would say we should buy greenland due to global warming and everything trump says is just a "consideration" (IE. no one should really pay attention to it) and that buying greenland is like buying the moon. I think that might be a better example of bias than a non-flattering picture (I actually thought he looked in charge in that picture and it was flattering - didn't notice the gut until you mentioned it)

edit: it was group of 5 people talking. no one refuted these ridiculous points among that group.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...-leaders-getting-along-very-well-g-7-n1046136

#281 foh, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Deckard and B-Bob like this.
  2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Not a Trump voter or supporter. (hahahahah, um... ha)

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I'll reply to both of you at the same time, but first I'll say that I enjoy your posts outside of this forum @dachuda86, and your posts, @bobrek, in or out of D&D, whether I agree with them or not. @dachuda86, that's the image I'm seeing on the first page of CNN. I wouldn't describe it as blurry, and I certainly wouldn't describe it as flattering to either trump or President Macron. That falls in the area of 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other, at least to me. Hardly what I would have used to make a point regarding prejudice against trump.

Putting that aside, I'll give the two of you my take on CNN. We moved to Austin at the beginning of June, 1980. As context, CNN's first broadcast was on June 1, 1980. Austin, unlike Houston, had had cable since the early 1960's, and getting cable so we could get a good picture and more to watch than the mediocre local channels was one of the very first things we did. We even got HBO. HBO! It was truly an eye opening experience, compared to what we had been watching in Houston. Being a news junkie (I always have been - I took the Chronicle for 2 years after moving to Austin, besides the local Statesman, until I could no longer handle the endless stacks of newspaper), and discovering CNN immediately when surfing the cable channels after it was installed, I became a regular watcher. Still am.

Believe it, or not, CNN is "middle of the road." What the two of you fail to understand is that CNN has evolved as the politics of our country have evolved. What you would have considered unbiased 10 or 20 years ago, you view as biased today. It isn't. I watch MSNBC as well as CNN, and MSNBC is a "liberal" cable news channel. It deliberately became one over time in order to position itself to the left of CNN, considered by it (and FOX, although FOX won't tell you that) as "middle of the road," wanting to be the liberal alternative to moderate CNN, and right wing FOX. I watched this all play out. For more context, I occasionally watch FOX in order to see what they are broadcasting as "news" and what their current spin is. Like MSNBC on the Left, FOX wasn't originally a right wing channel. They quite deliberately made themselves that way, moving farther and farther to the Right, with MSNBC moving more to the Left in response. Meanwhile, while the two of you may not believe it, CNN remains mainstream, in the middle. It's the country and the increasingly polarized politics of America that has changed, not CNN.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Allow me to insert myself into an argument of which I'm not previously a participant. CNN isn't left-wing. They are anti-Trump. They are that way because they can get ratings by doing that.

As usual, it is about money and not politics. By picking on Trump, they know that Trump will be triggered and attack them publicly. Both Trump and CNN get the publicity that they want out of it. They get publicity for the feud and people will watch/click. It has very little to do with ideology and everything to do with clicks and ratings.

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

CNN from the 80s in not CNN from today.

And yes one picture is not enough evidence. But you should be mindful of what they choose to show you and what not. Make a thread for this is something you want to dive into further. Guidelines thread is already off topic.

cml750 likes this.
  6. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I think partially correct. CNN has had a liberal bias for quite some time...prior to Trump. Consider who formed it, and what his politics are. With Trump I think they had a confluence of objectives--they could satisfy their liberal bent AND get ratings at the same time. Win win in their minds. So, yes money and clicks are a factor, but they aren't the only, or I think even necessarily the main, factor.

Ask yourself this: Do you think ratings drops will cause CNN to suddenly become right leaning? I can't imagine that happening. It *may* cause them to become more neutral, but I don't see them become right leaning for clicks and ratings. Just like I couldn't imagine FOX, which was created to satisfy a market for right leaning news (further proof of how left leaning the other networks were) becoming left leaning for clicks and ratings.

That so many here even try to make an argument that CNN isn't left leaning shows how pervasive the MSM problem is, and what a good job they have done of convincing people they are nuetral, when they are not.

Silent_Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Don't know why this is being discussed in this topic, but... this graphic has been posted a number of times in threads debating political bias of different news sources.

[​IMG]

Here's another:

[​IMG]

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

while not perfect it is close... ok I think this is a great post to end on. Well done.

Silent_Bob likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

RayRay10 and dachuda86 like this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of conservatives started at CNN. They have been mixed throughout their history. Shaw was pretty down the center slightly leaning right. Obviously Lou Dobbs and a number of others. But I think, like Fox, they have carved out a market for themselves. Changing to be more right for CNN or more left for Fox may garner some ratings or clicks but it will also drive off their steady base and it wouldn't be a net win. If it would be a net win for either network, I believe they would switch.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is a guideline thread -- why not start a media bias thread?

cml750, CometsWin, B-Bob and 3 others like this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Batter up

13. Buck Turgidson

How many charts and graphs will that thread have?

Deckard, dachuda86 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Month late to this conversation, didn't expect it in this thread. I don't watch any of the talking head shows unless I'm bored on election night. I do agree though that CNN's "printed" news coverage has changed dramatically with Trump's initial securing of the Republican nomination and subsequent election as president. The most jarring example to me are their opinion articles that masquerade as "analysis", the most obnoxious of which are from Chris Cillizza which CNN seems to push really hard. The only amusing thing about Cillizza to me is that his writing style reminds me so much of a much longer winded Trump.

I used to pretty much only read CNN, but now it's mainly AP News and Reuters.

B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Why fault CNN for recognizing and faithfully reporting that our mistake-in-chief and his admenstruation is a shitshow?

Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Someone needs to do a mental health check on @dachuda86

Poor guy is in an impeachment free fall that makes his classic liberal, non-Trump supporter claims tenuous at best. o_O

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

This doesn't belong in the guideline thread fyi.

But seriously, and not trolling at all here when I say: go ahead and impeach him. I really don't care. I think you just lack evidence from a legal stand point. But go on. It won't ruin my day. I won't shed a tear. I find it odd people aren't calling for him to be removed but just impeached.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

He just hit my ignore list, mainly due to his personal attacks of late.

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

If you can't handle yourself when presented with reality, it's better you do that. There there.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

One thing is perfectly clear from that polling, and it is something I’ve talked about down here many times and for years. Those on the “Right” consistently view, read, listen to far fewer sources of news than Americans who are “Moderate” or would be considered “Liberal.” Americans in the middle of the political spectrum, which I think is the largest group, and to the left of that middle ground tend to access a wide variety of news sources. Those to the right of the middle tend to watch, read, listen to far fewer news sources. A shockingly small number of sources.

Dissertations by those working on the higher degrees in political science at universities are likely writing about that phenomenon in large numbers, and I suspect some of their work might make for good reading. The limited sources those on the Right access for their news colors their views in a host of ways. It contributes to the “lock step” posting we see in D&D. While most of us to the left of the political spectrum argue incessantly with each other about damn near every political issue, those on the right are slapping each other on the back and happily trodding along together, content with their narrow view of what’s happening in the world around them. In my opinion.

Isn’t this the “Guidelines” forum? @justtxyank is doing a marvelous job guiding us, in my opinion. I’m sincere about that. We should all work together to make his job easier. Where’s your “charts and graphs” thread, @KingCheetah?

arkoe, RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.