1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gubernatorial Candidate refuses to allow female reporter to interview him alone

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Riz, Jul 11, 2019.

?

[Read post BEFORE voting] CF dudes, Where do you stand?

1. Completely Agree with Him

2. Partially Agree with Him

3. Completely Disagree with Him

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What I find weird about this sort of thing is that my significant other, recently retired, was a state executive with an important legislative commission for a couple of decades. She frequently had meetings that were just her and an agency head, or a state senator, or a representative in her office, or the guy's office (gasp!) alone. All the time. Talking about important stuff you didn't want getting around. She happens to be a woman. If she had to have another person in the room just to make the fellow "feel comfortable," it would have been the height of absurdity. That's not unusual, either.

In other words, in today's world, in this country, there are female executives doing this sort of thing all the time, all across our fair land. The days of Mad Men, and I remember some of those times, growing up around a lot of people like that, are long gone, thank goodness. I'm telling you that guys like Pence and this governor dude are weird. Something's off with them, and not in a good way. In my opinion, it is their bizarre attempt to keep women down.

FranchiseBlade and Riz like this.
  2. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Thanks for sharing you SO's experience. Truth is, these men belong in Saudi Arabia and women fighting for freedom in Saudi Arabia belong here. Giving the opportunity and audience, I have no doubt these dumbasses will want the women at their work cover themselves up from head to toe. Yet, the they get votes.

Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

So if the context is a woman not wanting to spend 15 hours in a car alone with an unknown man unless accompanied by someone else, would the woman be sexist, too?

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If it’s really a problem for him, why doesn’t he just require an extra chaperone for all reporters (regardless of gender) that wish to follow him around?

Can’t really accuse him of being sexist or discriminatory if he’s applying the same policy to everyone.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone on the right - whether it's extreme conservatives or islamists - have a diminutive view of women. Human history is filled with sales of the females evil "seducer" that a pure man must guard against. That's what MAGA is all about. Bringing us back to the time when men were men and women knew that their place was in the kitchen

Riz and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Why should I elect someone who can neither think for himself nor understand the intent behind his religion in order to perform a job and responsibility that is meant to think for the people he serves?

Option 3- a mandatory shoulder cam broadcasted all the time in order for his constituents to see what his God sees.

A trilemma for lemmings.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Clearly not.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It came down to who was responsible for the chaperone. He doesn't have the funds to pay for a chaperone. She doesn't feel like she's responsible for paying for the chaperone when it's his stipulation. But he's not obligated to have the interview on his dime.

9. body slam

body slam Member

I don't see what the big deal is. It's his business If he uncomfortable being left alone with a woman that is not his wife. Not mine and really not anyone else's either.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It is not as a private person or in a private business. He's running for public office and he's too insecure and not able to trust 50% of the population is a pretty big deal.

#70 Amiga, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He's the governor of a state. He can afford to have an assistant with him if it makes him feel more comfortable being around a woman while doing his job, including interacting with the media, which is definitely a part of that job. I find that bizarre, but that's my opinion.

I find it a bit strange that in your post that I just quoted, you referred, multiple times, to someone insuring that he wouldn't be "alone with a woman" as a "chaperone." He isn't a 13 year old girl going out on a first date. He's the governor of the state of Mississippi. Even that state, ranked last in so many metrics that it would require another thread to do it justice, can afford to give its governor a professional environment. The cost is trivial. I suspect that you haven't had much experience with this sort of thing. There's nothing wrong with that, but with all due respect, you should find out a little more about relationships in the workplace, especially professional ones. It would certainly be helpful in discussions like this one.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

According to him, he doesn’t trust that some media outlets won’t spin it into something indecent. Not that big a deal to me — but, for fairness, he should of course apply the same policy towards all reporters and not just female ones. That he didn’t think to do this is the problem.

13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    This is the highly predictable result of the #metoo movement's desire to abandon the judicial process and rule of law and adopt a "rule of mob", "guilt by accusation", and "believe the victim" mentality. Without rule of law and a little thing called evidence, any woman can hustle money by accusing a man of anything if they are in a 1-on-1 setting. If he doesn't pay up, then she'll drag it through the media and his career is ruined by the mere accusation and publicity. If you are a political figure who is susceptible to media pile-ons, then why put yourself in that position? Especially a conservative politician who 90% of the media is out to attack, given the media's well-established bias. Look what happened to Brett Kavanaugh. Psycho baby-voice Christine Blasey-Ford cooks up baseless, unsubstantiated allegations from 30+ years ago, all witnesses deny any knowledge, there's no evidence to speak of, the FBI investigates and finds zilch, and despite this, 40% of America erroneously believe that Kavanaugh has a sexual assault problem.

So liberals, you created this problem for career-minded women yourselves with your lack of foresight in pushing the #metoo movement to the point of insanity. It's a pity because many honest women who need to interact with men to move up in the world are now disadvantaged.

GOOD DAY

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You are entirely predictable. It's sad, really. You used to be more creative, Trader_ J, but now you seem to be dialing it in. You post a mishmash of absurdities that are sure to appeal to the most politically extreme right-wing side here, looking for the pats on the back, with nuance a word that has become foreign to you. Pick up your game, Trader_ J. You are becoming the sort of joke here that you shouldn't be proud of. In my humble opinion.

15. body slam

body slam Member

your making a mountain out of a mole hill

16. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Deckard, once again, predictably, cannot muster an argument. Only insults.

The #metoo movement is having very negative impacts on many women's careers because men don't want to take risks. The unintended consequences of very poorly considered positions from liberals. I support rule of law, and you should too if you want to see women succeed.

GOOD DAY

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I didn’t hear this part. So he’s not saying it’s women but news outlet?

But what’s the record for news outlet spinning such a thing into something indecent? I never heard of one. Still very strange.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

By stating his lack of trust and insecurity toward half of the population disqualify him for office?

19. body slam

body slam Member

are you saying that all women should be trusted?

20. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Foster is very wise in this. The key to avoiding bad situations is recognizing them before they happen.

This is a natural and logical response to "me too": Avoid being in situations where it can happen.

That said, there are some stupid things about this whole deal. If the candidate insists on there being a third person, and he wants the interview, he should supply that person.

Moreover, he could just arrange a sit down interview, and bring his lawyer with him.

Expect to see this stuff grow, as men finally start thinking with their big head. And they're wise to do so.