1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gubernatorial Candidate refuses to allow female reporter to interview him alone

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Riz, Jul 11, 2019.

?

[Read post BEFORE voting] CF dudes, Where do you stand?

1. Completely Agree with Him

2. Partially Agree with Him

3. Completely Disagree with Him

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Citing false sexual assault claims as a reason for discriminating against women in your personal life is weird at best.... and harmful to everyone (including you) at worst.

It's like not wanting to go outside because lightning may strike you.

Like, yeah, getting hit by lightning would suck, and it does happen... but that's no way to live.

The religion thing is weird (where does it say this exactly?) and the vows thing is even weirder... like, are you that much of a fiend that you can't even be in the private company of a woman without possibly cheating on your wife with her?

dmoneybangbang and Deckard like this.
  2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I feel the exact opposite. I have little concerns as an average joe. In todays political environment, there are those who have clearly crossed the ethical boundaries.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Hypothetically, how do you feel if a woman refuses to be alone with a man in private? Would you be offended that she thinks you'll rape her? That's also discriminatory behavior but society says it's okay.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You going to uncork endless hypothetical's? What society are you living in?

Nook likes this.
  5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Depends on the situation.

Nook likes this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Society does not say that's OK. Most people would think that is weird in most contexts, especially professional ones.

Any woman who refuses to be alone with a man, regardless of circumstances, would rightly be looked at as having a serious problem.

7. Duncan McDonuts

Others have already set up hypotheticals with gay reporters. When discussing sexist/racist issues, it's a good practice to consider switching the genders/race. If it's a problem when you switch it around, it's a problem the original way.

8. Duncan McDonuts

I think most people would feel that it's weird but would likely oblige and not question it. I don't get why this is a big deal, especially after the Kavanaugh he-said-she-said clown show.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If you are my boss or employee and you refuse to meet with me in private because of a male-female gender difference then I would probably not be able to work with you.

It's not just a weird thing, it's basically a socially and professionally disqualifying thing in many contexts.

Deckard, Nook and dmoneybangbang like this.
  10. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

For all three reasons, he has the freedom to believe and practice what he believes IN his private life. However, he cannot exclude or create unfair environment based on gender or any other protected class or group while holding a public office. This to me is no different than that one clerk who refused to marry gay couples because of her personal believes. I mean, this to me suggests that if he is looking to hire a assistance, he will discriminate against women since I assume assistant or secretary will spend a lot of time meeting one on one. I absolutely don't agree with that.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

Yea like fundamental Christians looking too similar to fundamental Muslims.

But hey, “religious freedom”.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Employees and coworkers have established rapport where there's trust and familiarity. Strangers are a different story.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Provide an example of a woman elected official refusing to talk alone to a male reporter and then we can discuss...

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This is why I said context matters.

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bet this gets him a ton of "victimised white hetero Christian men" votes from people who will view it as validation that they really have it harder than all those stupid minorities that are always complaining.

This kind of thing really resonates with people looking to portray the outcome of their terrible life choices as someone else's fault.

Nook and peleincubus like this.
  16. biff17

biff17 Member

Ok we agree.

17. edwardc

edwardc Member

I don't see the problem with him not wanting to be alone with her he just CHA it makes sense if he not by himself with her there is no way he can be accused of any misconduct .That with standing if he is to be Gov he can always have a clerk present for all meetings.IMO

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I could not have said it better.

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I guarantee you this guy cheats on his wife. Perhaps with dudes.

20. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Hmm... Is this why he came up with this scheme. Eliminating women from one on one meetings will only increase his chances of being alone with guys.

AroundTheWorld and Invisible Fan like this.