1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GSW set NBA record for 4Q futility... 2 pts!!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GATER, Feb 8, 2004.

1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I saw it and still don't believe it. They blew a 16 point lead and just went into OT tied at 75 with TOR. The only 2 points was a Dampier layup in which he looked to be in the lane for 5 or 6 seconds. :eek:

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

You are kidding right?!?!? :eek:

3. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Check the boxscore...

and they lost it in OT

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

damn, that sux asss....

5. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Well, at least now they set a record (almost) nobody can ever break.

6. ROCS4LIFE

ROCS4LIFE Member

2 lousy points, wow :eek:

7. lalala902102001

Gosh, and I thought our offense was bad.

8. AGBee

AGBee Member

Actually they tied Dallas' record, which they set against the Lakers in 97.

9. AGBee

AGBee Member

EDIT: OK, so technically it's a different record since the Mavs 2 pts came in the 3rd quarter.

10. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

2pts? Players can score more in one shot.....

Sad, the fact they blew the lead and went to OT and scored MORE points in OT, just sad.... :(

11. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

A sub-plot Jalen Rose hurt his shooting hand mid way through the 4th, but despite being in obvious pain, refused to leave the game. Ended up playing big time, hitting two huge buckets in OT.

After the game it was diagnosed as a broken hand. Talk about stones.

12. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Wish he had those in Chicago.

13. intermill

intermill Contributing Member

2 points, that hurts

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Quick trivia question...The first NBA team to go scoreless in an overtime period was.....

15. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

I know the Celts were the 1st team to be shutout in the playoffs...against the Pacers...regular season, huh?

There is the obvious suggestion that you are asking because it's the Rockets, but I'll assume you know more than Rockets' trivia...shot in the dark...Bullets?

16. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Wow, the great MacBeth actually outsmarted himself. :D

17. GATER

In that 4Q, the Warriors were 1-13 from the field and 0-5 from the FT line. They still had a chance to win the game. After a timeout, they had 12 seconds on the game clock. During those 12 seconds, they failed to get off even a last second prayer...

On their only 2 points, Dampier was clearly in the lane for more than 3 seconds as even GS's announcers pointed out during a replay. Dampier was fouled on that made basket but promptly missed the FT.

For those not checking the box score, Dunleavy Jr., and Troy Murphy were in street clothes and NVE was a DNP (not sure if he was suited up). But it was a major meltdown at home. Take out the 1-13 4thQ and GS was 30 for 60 in the first 3Q's. GS held TOR to a Rox D like 39.5% shooting for the game!

Like I said prior. I saw it and still don't believe it. Glad I was a GSW fan who bought a ticket.

18. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Oh, cool. You saw the game. Did you see what I was talking about re: Carter in the other thread? No ref respect at all, certainly no 'star' treatment. It's unbelievable, and it happens every night.

19. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Lol. Missed this before. It might have been outsmarted, or it might have been a sneaky way to double the choices I could claim to have guessed...;)

Or it might have been giving you too much credit. Lesson learned. :D

20. GATER

MacBeth -
    I must be honest and confess that I had the game on in the background as I was doing other things and didn't really "tune in" until the 4Q. I was so mesmerized by GS's ineptitude that I did not watch Carter that much.

Other than GS's 4Q offensive woes, the TOR subplots including Jalen Rose dominating the shots, Lonny Baxter taking inexperienced heat check shots and Cliff Robinson not fouling Carter on a basline drive allowing Carter to pass to Mo Pete in the weakside corner for an OT forcing 3.

I'll "weigh-in" in your thread at another time after recording and watching a TOR game. I will mention in passing that Carter is in the Top 50 in the NBA in FT attempts. And of those 50, he's 38th in FTA's per FGA. Here are those around him:

33 Kenyon Martin
    34 Mike Bibby
    35 Jermaine O'Neal
    36 Zach Randolph
    37 Eddie Jones
    38 Vince Carter
    39 Tracy McGrady
    40 Richard Hamilton