1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good-bye Dirk!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by daywalker02, Mar 24, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2. CALI_MOST_WANTD

Legitly more sad to see him go then Wade. He was one my favorite players that never played in a rockets uniform. Just like Duncan and few others. Thanks for all the memories Dirk. You will be missed in the league.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Jontro likes this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not really a Dirk fan. But I think we won't see a player stick with one team for his whole career anymore. Him and Duncan were the last of the breed.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Steph?

There might be some anti-switchers.

Damian keeps beating the drum of not leaving Portland. Of course, Damian won't be as revered as Dirk if he doesn't win a ring. Giannis is trying to imply he'll go down that path, but LONG way to go. Maybe Russ just sticks with OKC his whole career. And as insane as it sounds now, Doncic might follow in Dirk's footsteps. Precisely because Dirk is there and will stick around, and Cuban does seem to have a bro-affair with guys like that. And also, I think what made it "easier" for Dirk in a sense was the fact that he was from Europe, so was travelling back in the offseason, treated Dallas as a true second home... which Doncic may be able to do as well. But indeed, Dallas is not California, Miami types so who knows.

Steph, obviously, though.

And if Steph plays till 41, he wouldn't retire until like 2029 or 2030, lol, so who knows. I can see him playing for Charlotte towards the end of his career.

Easy likes this.
  7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He had Jason Terry and Jason Kidd. Tyson Chandler. I know Kidd wasn't an all star then, but that squad wasn't too bad. He had more than Hakeem did in 1994, but he's the second player to win the big one without much help. He was amazing that year. A sight to behold.

Patience likes this.
  8. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I really like Dirk, but I absolutely HATE his game. With the exception of his Championship run, his game was defined by shooting fadeaways, playing absolutely NO defense and being softer than Charmin. If he'd come in to the league a decade earlier, he'd have been destroyed.

napalm06 likes this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We're arguing small details. However, in hindsight Dream had a decent amount of help. Horry won 7 championship, Cassell became an all star, Mario won another championship, and Thorp was a former all-star.

Patience and don grahamleone like this.
  10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

The difference between how Dirk retired and how Wade retired reminds me a lot of the difference between Duncan and Kobe.

I really prefer the Dirk/Duncan way.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Horry averaged 11.7 ppg in the playoffs that year, Cassell 9.4, Mario 5.8 and Thorpe 11.3.

To me the support looked better for Dirk, but I agree that it's somewhat small yet clear. Both balled out against some worthy competition.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, being loyal to your best player in the history of your franchise is up to the owner.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

didn't duncan and dirk consistently take pay cuts for their teams? the owners can't take credit for that.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

Yes but that reflects on the player but the owner has to be willing not to be cheap.
    For example, the Laker fans wanted Kobe to end his career as a Laker regardless.

Can you imagine if Kobe went to the Raptors because he wanted like $1 million more and the Lakers didn't give it to him and rather have Kelvin Cato get paid?

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Out of all these guys, I'd say Westbrook probably has the best chance of staying with OKC till the end. Steph is likely but I wouldn't be surprised if he bolt after he starts to decline.

Winning a championship early in your career helps. You don't feel the pressure of chasing after a ring.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not consistently, when they became old geezers.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun get why Steph would bolt. He got everything, he is boss, a new Stadium to play in. I can see him getting traded at Hakeem's age to a team like Raptors.

But him going willingly, I dun really think that.

He is like a symbol for the franchise and for the league in terms of 3pt shooting legend.

Easy likes this.
  18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

C-Webb doesn't really belong here

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

heypartner likes this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

Dude Cuban went all out for Dirk's last home game, bringing in Bird, Shremp, Barkley, etc.

Les didn't do give this much time and effort at all for Dream and I think Yao's was too short

@chievous minniefield

Jontro and chievous minniefield like this.