1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Going to miss Mike Elias

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Nook, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros are about to lose someone really close to Luhnow, Mike Elias.

He has been offered the job of GM by the Orioles and has told those close he will take the offer.

Elias played a huge part in our success in the minors and evaluating players.

Don’t be surprised when some familiar names follow him to Baltimore.

#1 Nook, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    whiskeyred, BigMaloe, mikol13 and 6 others like this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Is the exodus just a result of success and that it’s all happening this year just a coincidence, or is there some scandal involved? I can see any number of things sowing discontent inside; the Osuna trade, Taubman getting promoted over guys with longer tenure, etc.

Nook likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There can only be one "real" 2nd in command. This was Luhnow's, and this is the inevitable cost of our success. Apparently Taubman is in line to be the new number 2 (and theoretically in a few years get his own team). I really haven't assumed any negative issues for that reason. A group of guys who want to run their own franchise eventually, and aren't in line for the necessary promotions here.

Guys will likely go with Elias for that reason, moving up in the MLB food chain.

If Luhnow is gonna remain successful, replacing his cabinet with good people is pivotal.

4. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

:eek:

Craig Bjornson - Red Sox
    Alex Cora - Red Sox
    Rich Dauer - Retired
    Dave Hudgens - Blue Jays
    Carlos Muñoz - "Free Agent"
    Alonzo Powell - Giants
    Jeff Albert - Cardinals
    Doug White - Angels

Mike Elias - Orioles
    Sig Mejdal - Orioles
    Mike Fast - Braves
    Quinton McCracken - "Mutually agreed to pursue other opportunities"

BigMaloe, RasaqBoi, Nook and 2 others like this.
  6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Stearns- Brewers

Also, can someone please take hinch off our hands?

7. Nook

Nook Member

First, the Astros front office is very difficult to figure out because only Luhnow really knows where everyone stands and what the future holds. As a result, it is hard to get any definitive information on what the structure really is like and whether someone is doing a good job or not. That has alienated some in the past like McCracken.

However, I haven't heard of any scandals or backlash over the Osuna trade. The front office was the group pushing for the deal.

The biggest issue with the Astros is that a lot of guys were getting bottle necked and not able to be promoted to learn what it takes to be a GM. Fast left largely because he wanted to be able to be promoted, same with Mejdal. They did not want to be pigeon-holed with the Astros.

Luhnow's organizational perspective is very fluid depending on changes in the game and system. So the Astros should be able to handle the changes better than a traditional organization. The Astros also are arguably the best at identifying and gathering up and coming front office talent and giving them the room to work and develop.

Losing Elias will hurt, just like losing Stern did. However, Elias wasn't responsible for any single facet of the Astros success. That isn't how the structure of the Astros front office works. As long as the Astros are able to get the top incoming talent for their front office, they should have success.

8. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Some of the other guys are concerning but Elias got a promotion. Can't really find fault in him leaving.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

As far as I know, they all have left because they felt it was in their best career interest.

whiskeyred and AznH-TownFan like this.
  10. raining threes

I wonder if Fast or Mejdal wish they would've stayed?

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

As long as we have Luhnow, I have faith that we'll get the right guys in place. He's still the architect behind this team and front office. It'll be a loss, but not something we can't and won't overcome.

raining threes likes this.
  12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Mike Elias and Sig Mejdal were in charge of the draft. I think Jeff Luhnow has to find a Stats Guy especially when the Draft is 40 Rounds. I understand why both left, work harder than their income, or promotion I suppose.
    Sig Mejdal should be a GM also.
    Farhan Zaidi is a excellent example a Stats Guy, Worked for Billy Beane in Oakland, moved to the Dodgers as GM, now Got a promotion with the Giants.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

That sucks but was inevitable.

desihooper and raining threes like this.
  14. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

This is just the nature of succcess

15. awc713

awc713 Member

Yup. SO glad we won (at least) one title before the inevitable exodus. Our FO and staff have taken some major hits the past few years. That said, I'm confident in Luhnow and what we'll do moving forward. This off-season is critical, but we're set up so well for the future. Very exciting time to be an Astros fan.

And, hey, at least it's the Orioles and Brewers. I hope Stearns continues his success and Elias brings some joy back to Camden Yards. That'll mean less cheering/more tears for STL/CHC and BOS/NYY. I mean, cmon! You can't beat that.

whiskeyred likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

I'm pretty sure he's qualified to do just that.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Luhnow was that guy before all of those guys entered baseball.

18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

The Warriors struggled so much after Luke Walton left....

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

He is running short of draftsmen though.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

To the outsider yeah he would seem shorthanded, but there's no way Luhnow didn't see this coming and prepare for it. Maybe not this many at once, but it was obviously coming. Elias was clearly a top GM candidate, and he was likely gonna take people with him.

We already signed a guy from the Dodgers and a women from the Orioles. I'm sure we also made some internal promotions. Identify office talent and promote it, Luhnow has shown he excels at that. The next Elias or Fast could be in our office right now, we just don't know their name yet.

Nook and Nick like this.