1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Go Titans!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by TheFreak, Jan 8, 2000.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Wow, what a game today. Any other die-hard Oiler fans rooting for the Titans? I'd love to see the look on Bob Lanier's face if the Titans made it to the Super Bowl. That could've been us today, Oiler fans! Sweet revenge on the Bills! We have an apathetic city and a mayor who sat on his ass to thank that it wasn't.

tinman likes this.
  2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

...or, we had an owner who attempted to force the citizens of Houston to build him a new stadium by threatening to move every freakin offseason.

I'm glad that Rat b*stard is gone...I hope the Titans never win a championship.

BTW, Earl Campbell is my hero for refusing admittance into the Oiler/Titan Hall of Fame.

P.S. They won on a horrible non-call. (Much like the Bills did in the comeback game)

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited January 08, 2000).]

JoeyTexas254 likes this.
  3. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Man, was that ever an awesome game. I admitt, I'm not a big football fan, but that game was just flat-out incredible. And the most dramatic ending possible. I wasn't going for any particular team, but I was glad the Bills choked on their decision to bench Flutie.

BTW Rocketman95, I saw that replay at least a dozen times and there is now way that was a forward lateral. Don't look at where the guy was, look at where the ball was.

Azim da Dream

[This message has been edited by Azim da Dream (edited January 08, 2000).]

4. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Go Titans?

Man im not going for them.. I dont want to see them win.

JoeyTexas254 likes this.
  5. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

6. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm still a fan! what a finish. Finally. Clutch City is back. This time in football. When Houston gets a team, Titans move to a distant number two, but for now, may they go the distance!

7. TheFreak

C'mon RM95, Bud Adams will most likely be dead in a few years, yet we still won't have the Oilers, and will have paid much more for an expansion team. Will it have been worth it? I mean, I no longer live in Houston, so the new team really doesn't mean that much to me. I still had an attachment to the Oilers, however. I'm not about to stop rooting for guys like Bruce Matthews because Bud Adams hurt a few feelings. I want the satisfaction of Bob Lanier finding out the city of Houston lost a Super Bowl team on his watch. Not to mention the Titans have the best uniforms in the NFL!

Luv Ya Blue!

8. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I hate bud adams and have been cheering for anyone who played against the oilers all year...until with 20 seconds left the camera pans the oilers sidline and stops on a dejected Bruce Matthews,then I kind of felt sorry that their season was about to end.

I would never jump on a titan bandwagon but I will cheer on the players for the remainder of these playoffs.

9. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

DAROckets,

That's just about how I feel. I could never ever cheer for a team owned by Bud Adams. He took my team away. The same team I had cheered as a 5 year old kid. 5 year old kids aren't supposed to be cheering for a pro football team, but I did. I loved 'em.

Being a fan of the Titans would be like being from Cleveland and cheering for the Ravens.

I have no problem with people in Houston or ex-Oiler fans still following some of the Titan players, but to want a team to do well that left us without a pro-football team of our own is just plain evil.

I like Steve McNair, Eddie George, Yancy Thigpen, Kevin Dyson, Bruce Matthews, Steve Jackson, Frank Wycheck, and Jevon Kearse. But, I will never cheer for that team. I want them to lose every game for the rest of eternity.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's what people keep telling me Freak, and I see their point. It's not the players' fault that they left. However, if the players win, Bud Adams wins, and I can't handle that.

We now have ownership that won't threaten to leave every offseason. I'm sure the voters of Houston were wary of building him a new stadium after he demanded that the landmark scoreboard be taken out for new seats, only to continue to threaten to leave.

At least Alexander hasn't threatened just yet.

Yet.

11. TheFreak

I really just wanted to see if anyone was still rooting for Tennessee. I kinda figured there weren't many.

I don't think this is anything like a Browns' fan rooting for the Ravens. That city actually cared about their team and really wanted to keep them. Their team was literally taken away from them. The NFL knew that and guaranteed them the next franchise. They made no such guarantee to Houston, and were grudgingly forced to give in and let them have another team after LA totally botched the endless amount of opportunities they were given. Houston had every opportunity to keep the Oilers, but the city was totally apathetic and the leadership just sat on their hands. How many people showed up for the 'save the Oilers rally', about 10? That should show you how much the city cared. Once again, the 'franchise formerly known as the Oilers' will be around a lot longer than Bud Adams (what is he now, 80?).

12. Caddman

Caddman Contributing Member

If I remember correctly, the Oilers had just come off of another playoff choke to KC the year after the Buffalo fiasco. Bud Adams revealed his brilliant plan for a downtown stadium for the Oilers and Rockets.

Problems: He didn't consult Les Alexander about the plan, and Bob Lanier didn't want a downtown stadium for just the Oilers. Keep in mind that all of this was under 10 years after he threatened to move the team to Jacksonville. Bob Lanier wasn't perfect in his handlings, but I don't see how you can say Bud handled the situation well or was justified in moving the team.

Bottom line: Bob Lanier wasn't willing to give Bud everything he wanted, so instead of looking into other options in Houston he took his toys and went to Nashville.

Fan Apathy: The Oilers under Bum Phillips were something to be proud of. They weren't the best team, but the city loved them. Bum was fired and the team was a joke ever since. Losing seasons and Playoff collapses in winning seasons made the Oilers the laughingstock of the NFL. I was literally laughed at while wearing an Oilers shirt, and this happened inside the city of Houston. Needless to say, the Oilers weren't an easy team to pull for.

I continued to follow them even after the move to Tennessee. Then Bud Adams did the smartest thing he's ever done, he killed the Oilers once and for all. Now they're Tennessee's team. I found it typical that they'd win a playoff game now that I can't stand the sight of them. But it was won on a bad call, Bud Adams is still in charge, and there's always this week against the Colts. Let's not forget that this is a franchise that mastered on ripping the fan's hearts out after getting their hopes up. Have fun Titan fans.

13. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

To hell with the Titans. I don't ever want them to win a damn thing.

------------------
    Proud Cheerleader 'til we move to New Orleans

14. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

I agree w/ PhiSlammaJamma right now I am a Titans Fan but I will become a fan of the new team in 2002. [​IMG]<A HREF=http://www.nfl2002.com>NFL2002</A> [​IMG]

Congradulations Titans on their win over the Colts. Up Next:Jacksonville.
    ------------------
    ~John~
    Rockets I Want Back In Clutch City: Mario "Junk Yard Dog" Elie and Sam my man Cassell.

[This message has been edited by Johny Rocket (edited January 17, 2000).]

15. TheFreak

Well, it's Oilers/Jags for a birth to the Super Bowl! A good 'ole-fashioned AFC Central Division grudge match. I was really hoping it'd be Oilers/Dolphins, because beating a team 3 times in a row is just so hard to do, especially a team as good as Jax. Hopefully the Oilers can exploit the loss of Boselli on the Jax offensive line. Just think Houston......this could've been us right now! The city would be going freaking nuts! Win or lose, let's just think about just how good this Oiler team has been this year....all the teams in the NFL with incredible records (Indy, the Rams, and Jax), the Oilers have beaten! That's incredible!

Luv Ya Blue!

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

TheFreak -- who are you going to root for when the real Houston team takes the field?

Also, this couldn't be us right now. No "Oilers" team is going to pull off a "Music City Miracle" .... no way, no way, no way. Titans maybe. Oilers? Never.

I do agree with one thing though -- the Titans' uniforms are simply bad ass.

JoeyTexas254 likes this.
  17. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

Clutch, the groan that you just solicited with that last sentence nearly tops the one you got when you said "Actually, I like Kevin Harlan" ...

Clutch likes this.
  18. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Don't think Houston's new NFL team will be the next Jacksonville Jaguars. The league made a big mistake that year by giving both Carolina and Jacksonville extra draft picks in both the rookie and expansion draft. Expect our franchise to model the Cleveland. Basically we are suck for the first five years. The Oilers were rebuilding when they left. Bud was willing to pay for most of his stadium but Bob "I hope he has another heart attack" Lanier was not willing to put in any public money. Hey! You gotta put in some public money. Look at all the new stadiums being built around the country. It also didn't help that the Oilers were rebuilding at the time. The rebuilding is complete. Will the Titans reach the Super Bowl? I don't know but I will always be a Titans fan. I'm about to cry now. I loved the Oilers more than the Rockets even when the Rockets won two titles. Until the last Titan player with Houston affliation leaves the team, they will still be the Oilers to me. How come there's no Titans radio affiliate in Houston? Don't treat the Rockets like we did the Oilers. The Rockets are in a similar rebuilding position. In 5 years, they will be western conference finalists maybe in New Orleans.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, if Les demands the Compaq Center be totally redone (ala Adams with the beloved scoreboard in the Dome), and still threatens to move the team every offseason, I say "Good Fu$kin' Riddance".

I am sort of happy for Bruce Matthews, but not at the expense of giving Adams a Super Bowl ring.

20. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

I can't remember where I read it but I couldn't have agreed more with the statement. If Dyson was wearing an Oiler uni, he drops Home Run Throwback.