1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[From GARM with love] China v. GM Daryl Morey’s personal views

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by B-Bob, Oct 6, 2019.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hoping vainly that we could direct traffic here, returning GARM to game action, roster moves, and who exactly people have grown to hate or love.

One question for our Chinese posters: what if the personal tweet had been from an assistant coach, a marketing employee, or the trainer? Where exactly do you want the Rockets to draw a line on personal statements?

And Chinese posters, I totally get the perspective of being offended. It must feel like you’re doing a business deal w a person and that person publicly yells something about one of your children, completely out of context, and you want to say “leave my family out of this, okay?”

Miracle and Kornel87 like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Chinese posters should be more offended about the Chinese autocratic government than the Rockets gm stating his opinion.

3. B-Bob

Yeah, I think so, but hopefully they can vent in here where it belongs.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  4. malakas

malakas Member

As long as Morey's job security isn't guaranteed, it is rightfully in the GARM.

Invisible Fan and Ubiquitin like this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Well at least we can root out the communist once and for all. #Winning?

6. B-Bob

Nobody’s job security is guaranteed, Bucks fan. ;)

I hear you, but some of the nationalist nonsense belongs here, if anywhere. Not GARM.

cml750 likes this.
  7. malakas

malakas Member

I am also a Rockets fan.
    When I post here I am labelled a Bucks fan, when I post in Bucks forum I am labelled a Rockets fan. Annoying.

However for how long it remains to be seen.
    If Morey is fired, the reason is clear as day. It can't be excused as "noone has job security nowadays".

8. B-Bob

again, I hear you, really do. And sorry for Bucks fan joke, sincerely.

EDIT: clearly, we've brought zero offended Chinese rockets fans to the D&D, but malakas and I have managed to start a new brand of argument. :D

Deckard and malakas like this.
  9. fchowd0311

The Chinese nationalists have no actual argument besides "I don't want to hear your opinion".

Seriously where are the LOF Taiwan nationalists when we need them?

malakas likes this.
  10. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Morey should have predicted something like this would happen and just kept his opinion to himself. Seemed like an emotional thing to do for someone so analytical. But maybe he has a history that I don't know about of making political statements on situations that he doesn't know enough about, won't make a difference to the people who do, and just serve to get him some points on the internet and piss off those in the midst of it. Maybe he sees a storm brewing with the Rockets and wouldn't mind getting out as I doubt he couldn't predict this reaction from China and the Rockets who depend on them so much.

On the other hand, does anyone know if Tilman would stand to benefit from breaking up with China? That could be another possibility.

Overall, people judge cultures like those in the Far and especially the Middle East far too much. If the people there don't like it, let them change it on their own. It's really none of our business. As this example shows, just because Americans don't agree with what goes on in other countries, it doesn't mean that the people of those countries aren't happy with it.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. malakas

malakas Member

Here you are B-Bob
    This is why it is more of a GARM issue at this point. The consequences to the everyday running of the team and its future are real.

12. malakas

malakas Member

Human rights are not a domestic issues. Human rights aren't none of our business.
    You can stand by and watch as your neighbour is tortured and killed just because he lives across the borderline?

generalthade_03 likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

It's crazy how many bootlickers their are for the Chinese autocracy. The last South Park episode was so on point it's sad.

malakas likes this.
  14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

American posters should spend less time telling other countries citizens on what they should believe.

cml750 and jcf like this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

Right now we have the chinese posters and government telling an american citizen and organisation what he should believe.
    How about you take your own advice and tell the chinese to shut the **** up and stop meddling in american affairs?

16. fchowd0311

Only if Chinese posters can stop telling what opinions our gm can and cannot express.

I disagree with your general philosophy here. Your train of logic implies we should have been silent during the Holocaust as long as Germany contained their atrocities within their borders and never invaded outside.

#16 fchowd0311, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    joshuaao, Amiga and malakas like this.
  17. B-Bob

it's interesting. I suppose I'm sympathetic to this aspect in particular: we've got plenty to do in our own house. I see people in GARM talking about the jailed minorities... and I think about our own wildly unequal prison industrial complex, with a greater % of our population in jail than any other so-called free country... and it's hard to ignore. None of that is to "apologize for China" or "lick boots." Far from.

I see more nobility in criticizing what's wrong in the org where I pay lots of taxes versus an org that will never care what I say one way or another. And yes, I can hear the reply: why not both? Indeed.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

I can't stand by your arguments. Do we have overally aggresive prosecutors? Yes. Do we have mechanisms to improve our predicaments? Yes. We can vote out regimes. We can express dissent.

The Uighur population has no voice except people outside of China. There is no mechanism for them to make change except from outside influences and what is happening to them is far more flagrant than what is happening to minorites currently in the US.

2 million are forced into rededucation camps and are forced to deconvert form their religion. The last time our nation was this atrocious was during pre Civil War.

I'll ask you this. Who should stand up for the Uighur people if they live in a country where the regime is permenatly in place and any dissent is illegal? If your argument is that every nation's citizens should clean up their own house first, who speaks for these people then because every region of the planet has their own internal problems.

joshuaao and malakas like this.
  19. B-Bob

Quoted for clarity.

Deckard likes this.
  20. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

I believe in an eye for an eye—Shanghai Sharks GM should post #BlackLivesMatter on Weibo.