1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FOX News: Fair and Balanced?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by HI Mana, May 30, 2012.

1. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

When President Obama tried to deny press credentials to Fox and keep them out of the loop, it was petty and partisan.

But man, if you're going to sign off on putting negative campaign ads front and center on your network, you're really straining what it means to be a credible news network...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5MoWJnvYFDg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is this unprecedented? This seems like the very worst combination of "rooting in the press box" and naked partisanship. I realize that in the cable era every network needs to cater to a specialized audience, but there's a difference between winking at the camera and presenting the illusion of impartiality, and running this.

2. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Sickening, since there are issues to discuss, but I guess the spot time was limited, and fabricating all that bull takes a lot of effort and leaves little room for actually informing people to make good decisions.

3. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Other networks have signed off on similar adds that attack Republican candidates. I don't like it on either side, I hate that the 6 months leading up to an election don't inform me on WHY I should vote for candidate X, but rather inform me on who NOT to vote for.

I literally have seen like 10 negative campaign adds, state and federal level positions, both republican and democrat, and none of them stated a single principle they stand for, nor what they planned to change while in office. Every candidate wants to attack the other, is that all we listen to these days?

I would like to see a candidate TRY to run a clean campaign, and for them to tell me what they stand for. What they will certainly vote for/against, what they are on the fence, but they are only concerned with one thing...getting elected. Not serving the people they swear to represent, they only think of themselves.

1 person likes this.
  4. Major

Major Member

1 person likes this.
  5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I am soooo tired of the "both sides do it" mentality.

Please post the link to a self produced 4 minute, nasty political ad on Romney that MSNBC (or any other comprisable news organization) has run 5 or 6 times over the course of a program.

It’s lazy, not the truth and insulting

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

News departments were eliminated
    and the news was moved to the entertainment division
    The rest is history

News has to be entertaining and get ratings now more than ever

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  7. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

So when Fox News puts up an ad (yes this is an ad) and it makes politics are a dirty shameful game that both sides are guilty of. MSNBC does something 10% of the stunt this ad is and all media has liberal bias...

8. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

If Obama wasn't African American/ "Black," Fox News and its viewers wouldn't have such a problem with him.

They would still despise his politics, but it wouldn't be this bad. Birthers and all the other garbage for desperation.

I guess that's what happens when your only "leader," Mitt, is a consistent uninspiring joke.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

looked quite factual to me, actually

the dims have to be embarrassed due to Obama's pitiful performance in office

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'm more embarrassed of our current House members..

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

12. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

"Not Authorized’ At Senior Level"

*snicker*

Isn't that Rupe's out for the phone hacking scandal?

#12 mc mark, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Don't need to watch the ad or the network or to be completely fine with both. Political coverage and advertising might be the only thing that keeps journalism lucrative and sustainable, sensationalist or personality-driven commentary might be the only way to maximize public involvement or interest in politics. Both of things are longer-term, more compelling public goods than notions of fairness, by a single source, to any particular party, candidate or ideology.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

i don't understand the gas prices bit.... Doesn't this country have some of the cheapest gas prices in the world?

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

our gas prices have increased dramatically under Obama

....and there are many nations with cheaper gas...

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Fox News is fair and balanced. But "fair and balanced" is a perverted way of thought that tosses aside "truth and accuracy".

The conservative news media is corrupting American youth into believing everyone should have equal say and equal weight in decisions while what is is right, best and correct are "liberal" arguments ment to destroy America. And it's total bull****. This is why we have become a nation of you deserve a trophy whiners. Now get back in your SUV and continue b****ing about gas prices.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Fox News would be a joke if it weren't so damaging to the country.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fox News makes Al Jazeera look tame.

Honestly, I am pretty sure that everyone who watches Fox New is pretty right wing extreme. It's really "Tea Party Television" and I think everyone, Dems, Independents, and Reps all know it.

After this though, I think the White House should just eliminate them as a news source. Since clearly they are biased and not a legit news center, they shouldn't be treated as such.

Fox News is really an entertainment channel.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i really think sometimes deckard in the long run this crap actually really hurts republicans. if IF obama wins again and does well. they could truly be in trouble. which way is the this country leaning in the future???

clinton vs bush (dems win popular vote)
    clinton vs dole (dems win popular vote)
    gore vs bush (dems win popular vote)
    bush vs kerry (repubs win popular vote)
    obama vs mccain (dems win popular vote)
    obama vs romney (dems win popular vote)
    h. clinton vs ???? ( dems win again???)

that is getting WAAAY ahead of yourself. but i think there is a better then 50% chance of this happening, and that would make it that this country has voted more for a democrat 24 out 28 years.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Al Jazeera is one of news sources there is now days.