1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Astros Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by torque, Apr 4, 2016.

1. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

if votto catches the foul ball to prevent that 3 run homer none of this happens

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Next guy may have hit a three run homer if Votto catches that foul.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Some serious next level stupidity that those tweets still existed.

I think the magnitude of stupidity bothers me more than the actual comments.

4. conquistador#11

Sometimes, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. He was still a teen, maybe he's grown since then and his views have changed. It's possible.
    Who released the tweets?
    We have another saying in my motherland, keep your sidechicks close and your ex girlfriends closer.

K mf G and Houstunna like this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Ouch. The racial slurs were pretty obviously from rap lyrics, so coming from a teenager they are definitely monumentally stupid, but I wouldn’t consider them racist. The homophobic and sexist tweets expose his actual thoughts at the time, which are more problematic. But I have a hard time condemning a guy in his mid 20s for something he said as a teen, especially since he is taking responsibility and disavowing it.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  6. Poloshirtbandit

Yeah the N word tweets are Juicy J lyrics... prolly shouldn't have used the hard R or typed it at all.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I was just about to defend him, as I'd only seen 2 of the tweets (White Power, lol & I hate gay people). The 1st of which would definitely need context, as for all I know he was watching the Clayton Bixby sketch on Chappelle Show. The 2nd one no excuse, but people change.

Well, now I've read several of the others and WOW! Suddenly I don't miss Josh Hader. Even when Jeff Luhnow loses, he wins.

For real. How do teams not have a person going through their players social media history to prevent this? This guy was a part of 3 different organizations, and yet this never came up?

8. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Fiers actually led the 2017 World Champs in regular season innings pitched!

Marteen likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://sports.yahoo.com/scene-josh...ted-homophobic-tweets-surfaced-081540845.html

His first words were: “It was something that happened when I was 17 years old. As a child, I was immature. I obviously said some things that were inexcusable. That doesn’t reflect on who I am as a person today. And that’s just what it is.” By the fifth question, he apologized: “I’m deeply sorry for what I’ve said and what’s been going on. And like I said, that doesn’t reflect any of my beliefs going on now.” Asked how his thoughts had changed, he said: “There’s nothing before that I believe now.” His rationalizations centered on his age when he sent the tweets: “When you’re a kid, you tweet what’s on your mind.”

At the same time, Twitter remained alight with reaction to the original tweets – which Hader deleted before locking his account, as did his girlfriend, Maria Macias, who in old tweets used the N-word and “f*****” a number of times – as well as his explanations.

“I was young, immature and stupid,” Hader said.

“That was seven years ago. I don’t remember too far back then,” Hader said.

“I was in high school. We’re still learning who we are in high school. You live and you learn. This mistake won’t happen again,” Hader said.

And when it was all over, when Hader had apologized for his racist, sexist, bigoted, homophobic tweets but said he was not a racist, sexist, bigoted homophobe, he wondered what was next.

#1289 J.R., Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  10. Buck Turgidson

Most everyone deserves a second chance, I hope he makes the best of this one.

Everyone will be watching him for the rest of his career, I just hope he has changed and tries to make the world a better place, will be interesting how the Milwaukee community treats him. He's got to do a whole bunch of work to set things right.

tellitlikeitis likes this.
  11. raining threes

Sensitivity training?

What a crock of crap.

Hemo_jr likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Was that his punishment? From MLB? From the team?

13. raining threes

From the tweet above, since MLB released the statement I'm assuming that it's from MLB.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Tweeting out "KKK" and "White Power" isn't racist?

There's more than just that link I posted.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

From MLB. Probably knew a suspension wouldn't hold up for something that happened in high school. He's lucky he's not anywhere near FA.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

so anyone found out who's the douche who unearthed hader's old tweets??

18. Buck Turgidson

Appears to be people following the OldPlayerTweets twitter account. Not sure how that makes them a douche, though.

Nook likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’m surprised DDJ hasn’t been a better player. I didn’t expect him to be a star but I did think he would be a good, high floor everyday CF. At the time I was shocked the Astros exposed him to the Rule 5 draft; good to see it looks like it won’t really come back to bite them.

HTown2017Champs likes this.