1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Connor McGregor August 26th

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by CallMeTheDream, Jun 15, 2017.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stamina is completely different If you are riding a bike or playing basketball, or on the offensive line. It's the exact same with wrestling, jiu jitsu and boxing, and your statements here make me think that you have zero experience in combat sports. I can't stress enough how different it is. A Jiu Jitsu world champion would gas in 2 rounds in a boxing match, conversely a boxing champion would gas in a few minutes on the mat, no question.

That's a very simplistic view of Martial Arts. The exact same crap that Mayweather was spouting out. His hands are effective because the rest of his game is so dangerous. His striking ability is special, but there is a reason those openings are open. His varied striking and ground game demands respect.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

There is no "false" when talking hypothetical situations and I'm not discounting anyone.

I've also done martial arts half of my life, so don't act like your opinion is the only valid one, but the outcome of this fight isn't proving anything and if you think Conor proved anything then you fell into the marketing trap.

Conor has ZERO punching power and accuracy when it comes to boxing, he hit Floyd with a uppercut in round one and the replay showed how the punches didn't have any meaningful impact. The vast majority of his punches were wild swings without any forceful impact, Conor was also completely gassed from round 4 on. Floyd often didn't even bother to defend and smiled after punches, McGregor's punches were that soft. Part of that also comes from McGregor having zero punching technique and not knowing how to propery plant his feet or what angles to use.

I'm not sure how deep your knowledge of boxing is, but it is Floyd's usual gameplan to tire out his opponent, every properly ranked boxer with an offensive mindset would've absolutely destroyed Conor within one or two rounds, as his punches didn't demand any meaningful defense.

Boxing-wise, McGregor looked bad and literally every pro and expert said so after the fight.

Mr. Space City likes this.
  3. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Another completely false statement that could have been checked in 5 seconds on google.

Bizarre.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Feel free to debunk my statement, the vast majority agree with my sentiments and it's extremely obvious when watching the fight.
    And extremely telling that you chose to leave out the rest of my post, seems you don't want to talk about the actual technical aspects of boxing.

It's obvious that you don't know anything about boxing.

5. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

If you aren't willing to actually discuss the technical aspects then stay out of this and stop acting like you know anything about this sport.

7. Mr. Space City

I have experiencing in training for both. Boxing wiped me out more than MMA.

MMA gives you more opportunities to get a breather during match time with a lay and pray strategy.

his hands are effective because that's the best part of his game and MMA have trash defense on their feet.

8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Have you done that yet? I must have missed it...

9. Mr. Space City

He's right. Connor looked poor.

The only reason people thought he looked good is because the bar was so low, but he was still poor.

If conor was just some random boxer, and didn't have the MMA label on him, people wouldn't be giving him participation trophies.

Yung-T likes this.
  10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Such ignorance... :rolleyes:

James Toney looked pretty damn tired "laying and praying"... :D Way more tired than I have EVER seen him when he is boxing 12 rounds.

11. Mr. Space City

Yeah fat and old way past his prime James toney......

Conor was in his prime and was gassed after 4 rounds lmao

Yung-T likes this.
  12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I wrote a large paragraph in my first reply, but you intentionally left those parts out. You know everyone can see that post?

You can go to boxing forums and read what boxers say, there's a clear sentiment of McGregor having terrible boxing foundations, especially when it comes to punching mechanics and foot work.

Funny to see you not willing to discuss anything technical and only screaming "FALSE" in your posts.

13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

False. Conor gets notoriety because he is a freak of nature when it comes to true fighting.

14. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Fat and old Toney went deep rounds constanty. Basically the last 10 years of his career he was fat, and he basically never looked tired boxing :D

15. Mr. Space City

I didn't say anything about "notoriety" in that post.

All that punching power Conor supposedly has was no where to be found.

Yung-T likes this.
  16. Mr. Space City

His last fights looked terrible.

He was done by 2003 and fought in MMA in 2010.

He was trash in those Samuel peter fights. Now I know you don't watch boxing.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

What are you trying to accomplish with that stupid "false"? This doesn't help to support any of your arguments and you are not even in the tiniest way making this a technical debate.

18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

DId he go rounds with all his stamina? :D

19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Ever watch Conor fight? It's not his power. It's his intellect, spacing and timing.

Now I know you don't watch real fighting.

He was trying to win rounds against Floyd, the knockout stuff sells PPV, but that wasn't his mission. His mission was to win the fight.

20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Says the guy who posted...
    "Boxing-wise, McGregor looked bad and literally every pro and expert said so after the fight."