1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Five policemen shot in southeast Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

Also, no .357 handgun was found at the scene, which contradicts what was said the night of the raid.

I'm going to call it right now. The cops were shot by other cops and the two people in the house were basically murdered by the HPD. Horrible.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.click2houston.com/news/...t-raid-turned-shootout-after-warrant-reviewed

The story from Houston Police Department narcotics officers surrounding a drug raid-turned-shootout that left five officers injured and two people dead doesn’t add up, according to a warrant reviewed by Channel 2 Investigates on Friday.

In the legal documents obtained by Channel 2 Investigates, a sergeant stated that he along with his partner were unable to track down any confidential informants involved in a drug buy at the home of 58-year-old Rhogena Nicholas and 59-year-old Dennis Tuttle. Both were killed in the shooting that also resulted in the shooting of four HPD officers.

In the warrant, the sergeant went on to say Officer Gerald Goines of HPD’s Narcotics Division provided officers, including Lt. Marsha Todd, a high-ranking narcotics division supervisor, two different names of confidential informants. The warrant stated the two officers, “interviewed all of the confidential informants and all denied making a buy for Goines from the Harding Street residence, and ever purchasing narcotics from Nicholas or Tuttle.”

Channel 2 Investigates is still digging through the new records and will continue to update this breaking story throughout the day.

Joel Eisenbaum:

-It did not happen in the way we were all initially told.

-There was no confidental informant that made a heroin buy at that house. That is a big deal because a HPD officer swore to a judge there was an informant and that police witnessed the informant buying drugs at that house.

-Police are now seeking a search warrant to inspect the phones of 2 HPD officers including Gerald Goines, who is still in the hospital.

-From those court documents, "...interviewed all of the confidental informants and all denied making a buy for Goines from the residence at 7815 Harding Street, and ever purchasing narcotics from Rhogena Nicholas or Dennis Tuttle"

-There is no record of any drug purchase from those two.

-Recovered in Officer Goines' vehicle: two bags of heroin that were in the console. Those unlogged bags appeared to have been picked up from an informant at another address and it was all under the radar. "... Officer Goines had him/her do a buy from a house on Napoleon Street...Officer Goines returned to pick up the baags of heroin approximately six hours later..."

-Those bags were never logged as evidence but they are now. Why did the officer have two unlogged bags of heroin in his city vehicle as he was raiding another house? A house where it now looks like there was never strong enough evidence to go in the first place.

FranchiseBlade and Ottomaton like this.
  3. astros123

astros123 Member

Jesus this is getting uglier and uglier by the day

BruceAndre, Harrisment and B-Bob like this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Seriously. It's getting into Bad Lieutenant territory now.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Maybe the iguana was the confidential informant who did the controlled buy. I bet internal affairs didn't interview the iguana.

#125 Ottomaton, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

7. HTM

HTM Member

I’ve never had a incident with HPD that didn’t leave me feeling the entire force was totally incompetent.

BruceAndre and CometsWin like this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

All lives matter.

9. astros123

astros123 Member

Why the hell is there not an outside agency investigating instead OF THE CROOKED HPD? Seriously what the ****? Were entitled to know what happened.

A few years ago I got set up by a cop that planted coke in my front pocket so I would snitch out a guy that use to deal in a nightclub. Luckily I had money and spent over 15k to get it dismissed

LOL @ the union president saying there monitoring the internet for any sign of people speaking bad about the cops and they have our number and will be spying on us.

BruceAndre likes this.
  10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Dude, why ruin a perfectly legit post with your offensive last line?

B-Bob likes this.
  11. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I don't want to hit the "like" button on something so horrible, but I agree with your analysis. This whole thing has stunk from the start.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Houston Police Officers' Union released the following statement about Friday's developments:

"On February 7, 2019, the HPOU released a statement that no further comments on this case would occur until the case agent was able to be interviewed. We believe that interview took place on February 13th and we just heard some facts confirmed at the Chief’s news conference, which are extremely concerning. Such actions, if true, would be extremely disturbing and would not be a reflection of the many men and women of HPD who do an incredible job every day, including those who have worked tirelessly since the shooting ensuring that no stone goes unturned.

"We stand by our assertion from February 7th that the house on Harding Street was not selected at random and we did have information that narcotics were being used/sold at that location. Clearly the officer at the center of this investigation, like any suspect in a criminal case, is innocent until proven guilty. However, at the end of the day, we are all law enforcement officers and the law must be equally enforced against anyone who is proven to be guilty of breaking it.

"Regardless of any criminal investigation, the HPOU will support and participate in any review and changes to policy/procedures that can prevent an incident like this from ever happening again. If these allegations are proven, all HPD officers will have to work to regain the trust of the citizens we serve. Our pledge is the same we have made to you on many occasions: we will use every bit of our energy to provide the most professional law enforcement services to the citizens of Houston."

13. astros123

astros123 Member

Because I've had numerous encounters with hpd in which I've been stereotyped. I'm a successful middle eastern Muslim and I have had numerous encounters in which I've been set up and arrested. If it wasn't for me being well off financially I would be a convicted felon today with a tarnished life. I've fought two felony cases and won both in jury trial. **** like this happens all the time. You honestly think if that cop wasn't in a hospital there would be no collusion between him and these "informants."

The union president claiming there monitoring online discussion and that they have our personal information in some sort of data base is what? Law enforcement suppressing our first amendment is acceptable now?

14. astros123

astros123 Member

Give me a break. Why doesn't Acevedo let the Texas Marshall's come in and investigate what's happening? The cover up is just beginning

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://twitter.com/stjbs

What we know so far: Houston police have been unable to find the confidential informant behind the drug buy that set off a deadly narcotics raid last month, according to a warrant affidavit signed last week.

Police originally secured a no-knock warrant to raid a couple's Harding Street home after Officer Gerald Goines filed an affidavit alleging that a confidential informant made a controlled heroin buy at the house on Jan. 27.

The next day, police used that purchase as a key piece of their request for the warrant, laying out their reasons in a three-page sworn affidavit.

But now, more questions are emerging; in two different interviews from his hospital bed, Goines named two different informants, according to the new warrant.

When investigators went to talk to them, both informants said they'd worked for Goines – but not on that case. So the investigators got a full list of all the confidential informants who worked for Goines, and they all denied making a buy at the Tuttle house.

The new warrant, signed by a Special Investigations Unit Homicide officer, asks for photos, texts, call logs, and emails from Bryant's phone.

Acevedo: "HPD investigation ... we actually submitted a search warrant/affidavit that were sealed and unfortunately someone gave them to the media..."

What that affidavit shows ... his actions in terms of his conduct are in question."

Reiterating promise that investigation will uncover all aspects of raid.

Only reason affidavit exists is because HPD is conducting a "robust""thorough" and "impartial" investigation.

Affidavit will show there are some material untruths or lies with that investigation -- and "that's totally unacceptable."

Acevedo cautioning about making final judgments.

Things being investigated: Case agent's actions leading to warrant, use of force, when problems with investigator's veracity -- other investigations he conducted.

"We're going to get to the truth"

Acevedo is pushing back on having an outside department (FBI) come in and investigate, says HPD's investigation (and this leaked warrant) shows department is fulfilling its promise to seek truth

HPD will be conducting a very extensive audit of the agent's past investigations.

Says it is not indicative of work other officers.

"We know we have a criminal violation -- and a serious one -- by the individual who prepared that affidavit."

"We already know there's a crime committed -- there's a high level of probability a criminal charge will be filed."

Acevedo doubling down saying there was a 911 call that helped prompt investigation.

(@keribla and I have requested a copy of that call but our request was blocked)

Acevedo: "We owe an apology to the community just because someone lied on an affidavit. I'm angry."

Again promising community will know results of investigation when it wraps up.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wait? It was at the Tuttle house? There was an error that was supposed to be the Buttle house... Damn flies!

Ottomaton likes this.
  17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The mayor should call in the FBI. This idea that the cops can impartially investigate themselves is nonsense. Same with the Goforth murder shenanigans that we never hear about anymore.

macho GRANDE and J.R. like this.
  18. TheresTheDagger

I'm generally pro cop, but my one "Major" interaction with them left me just stunned.

Probably about 15 years ago, I was coming home very late (2:30am or so) from a night out. I was driving down Westheimer, and there were 2 cars right in front of me that appeared to be racing from stoplight to stoplight. The car directly in front of me had 2 kids halfway out the windows yelling at the car in front of me and the lane to the direct right. I remember thinking at the time "get back in your car you idiots before you fall out and hurt yourself!"

Anyways, the 2 cars take off super fast again...I let em get in front of me just a bit because I was concerned about following them too close if someone did fall. As the 2 cars approached the next light, a young asian guy in the car in front of me again sat up halfway out his window...produced a 9mm and started shooting directly into the drivers seat of the other car...probably 5-6 times. They then sped off straight down Westheimer going west while the "victim" car slowly creeped forward (as if someone took their foot off the gas). I couldn't see but obviously it seemed logical to me the person was shot or possibly deceased. I didn't really know what to do as I saw other people responding to the victims car but after about a minute kept driving down Westheimer and saw a cop about 4-5 blocks from the scene of the shooting parked in a Shell station. I pulled over and explained what I saw to the cop and told them what direction and the car details of the shooter. The female officer looked at me and said:" You'd be better off heading back to the scene and telling any arriving officers there what you just told me."

I stood there flabergasted. I said something along the lines of "Don't you want to try to chase down the shooter? He just passed by here less than 2 minutes ago going that way! She eventually took my statement and my personal info and said if they ever needed more info someone would contact me. I left feeling weird about the lack of urgency and drove home. I never heard another word about it from anyone.

19. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

This seems lifted straight out of Training Day. Minus the morally centered Ethan Hawke character.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sylvester Turner:

“I endorse a full and thorough investigation into this matter to determine what did and did not take place, and I stress that this be completed as soon as possible. I will refrain from commenting about it until I have all facts before me.”

Houston Mayoral candidate Tony Buzbee:

"If someone screwed up they must be held accountable. That's how it must be, period. But I would hope that in the event there was a mistake, we not paint our entire police force with a broad brush or jump to conclusions about our police. They have a tough job. I grieve for all the families involved."

Houston Mayoral candidate Bill King:

“This entire situation is deeply unsettling and tragic because it has resulted in the death of two Houstonians and needlessly put our officers' lives in jeopardy. It's obvious this is a failure of leadership from the top. Houstonians deserve to know when Sylvester Turner and Art Acevedo learned about these troubling allegations, and how long this would have been kept a secret had the media not uncovered the affidavit?

"It's clear there needs to be a third-party, independent investigation by the FBI or the Texas Rangers to determine what led to the deadly raid and to ensure something like this never happens again."