1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First Alcoholic drink with a parent?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How old were you when you first had an alcoholic beverage with a parent?
    What beverage?

If you have it what was your first alcoholic beverage with your own child?

Just curious.
    I think I had a wine cooler....my son doesn't drink yet or rather we have not yet

Rocket River

tmoney1101 likes this.
  2. likestohypeguy

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't know. Maybe ten? Maybe younger? I think it was straight bourbon and I didn't like it. Probably why Dad gave it to me. Did the same thing with a cigarette. He was still smoking then. I think I turned green.

I let both our kids try a sip of wine when they were about the same age. My son liked it, and my daughter didn't. Our daughter is the oldest and she still doesn't drink. Our son does from time to time. Go figure.

CCity Zero, Jontro and tmoney1101 like this.
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

It was a big deal and a very special moment for me. My dad knew I drank around that time, but would always tell me that hed whoop my ass if he found out.

One day at dinner while hes pouring a drink of cognac, he asked me if I wanted one? I was caught off guard and my immediate reaction was no. Then he asked me if I wanted a beer instead and I reluctantly said sure. He grabbed a beer and gave it to me and I nursed that beer like no other during dinner, but it was that moment that I knew he trusted my judgement and was treating me like a man.

Sidebar: when we were young kids, hed have his friends over and they brought their kids, so wed run around and theyd drink. Id get all sweaty and run to him and ask for a coke, hed tell me have some apple juice and proceed to give me his cognac and soda. It burned the hell out of my mouth and he and his friends thought it was the funniest thing.

#4 donkeypunch, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Jontro, gatsby, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  5. jsingles

jsingles Member

I want to say I was 18 or 19, at a big family event. Uncle and grandmother had a bottle of silver patron and asked if I wanted a shot. I didn't know what to expect but I thought it couldn't be that bad, it's just clear liquid. I was not prepared.

6. Buck Turgidson

Probably about 4 or so, Granddad gave me a tiny sip off his Lone Star.

eta: I obviously thought it tasted like ****, mom said I turned up my nose and made *that* face.

even better was when I was about 10 and had been watching my dad chew RJ Reynolds Gold...so I open up the drawer to his bar, and man that stuff smelled good (it really does smell good, btw), so I put a big ol' chunk in my mouth and started chewing....I almost made it to the patio before I puked.

#6 Buck Turgidson, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    malakas, CCity Zero, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

some red wine when I was like 14, but it was with my auntie, not my parents...I thought it tasted like sh*t

I have since become a lover of wine, preferably white

Jontro, Deckard and tmoney1101 like this.
  8. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

In my early 20s during a heartbreak situation. Really embarrassing for me.

Jontro, Deckard and tmoney1101 like this.
  9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Just a sip, super young. When I was like 7 we were at a brewery in the hill country and I asked for a chocolate stout(thought it was candy) and they gave me a sample as a joke. It was awful.

As far as a full drink... 17?

tmoney1101 likes this.
  10. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

My mom used to give me a sip of her corona every now and then probably since the age of 4 or 5. A little bourbon on the tongue for a toothache.

When I was around 10 my oldest cousin got married and though it would be good to have my teenage 15/16 year old cousins bartend her reception. They were feeding me bourbon and root beer all night unbeknownst to everyone until the end of the night when I was visibly shitfaced.

The first time I actually had like a full beer with my mom was probably around 18 or 19 at a family event. We’re Irish.

Deckard likes this.
  11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That qualifier is gold :) LOL. Slainte!!!

tmoney1101 likes this.
  12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I remember being 7 or 8 on NYE. My dad gave me a taste of his favorite drink, a Screwdriver. I also remember him giving me sips of his Michelob. The original Michelob...not that piss water they sell now.

[​IMG]

CCity Zero, ElPigto and tmoney1101 like this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

My Son has come back in town a full grown man of 21.
    He drinks but I think he maybe a bit shy to drink in front of me
    I find that hilarious
    In due time

Rocket River

malakas likes this.
  15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

My family always let me have a bit of champagne for new years.

Never properly drank with my parents, both of them passed when i was in my teens, but I did have couple of drinks with my older half brothers when I was 13.

Nook likes this.
  16. Roscoe Arbuckle

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Funny you should mention that.

My parents were never big drinkers. I remember, at some point in my early 20's, I took my dad to a Rockets game as a father's day present. Since I am physically unable to go to a sporting event and not have a beer....I went ahead and bought one for myself. It felt so weird drinking in front of my dad, even though I was of-age and I'm sure he didn't give a rip either way.

Now, my wife's side of the family........it feels weird NOT drinking in front of them....

Rocket River likes this.
  18. PhiSlammaJamma

First you take the drink with the parent, then the patent takes a drink with you, and then the parent extracts the truth and takes you to the woodshed.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Someone needs to make a "when was the first time you took acid and mushrooms with your parents?"

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I try not to drink with my son nor do I want him to think it's ok. I see parents sometimes turn their young sons into their drinking buddy and it's just asking for problems. My son says it stunts your growth and he wants to be 6'3 or taller than me.