1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I think he'll be coaching for that extension but let's be honest here: if this were a perfect world then the Texans would be cleaning house come January and that includes coaches, scouts and GM. After all, this organization has the key piece - a franchise QB - to build around. But since clueless Bob is the owner, we all know that ain't gonna happen. So expect next season to mirror this season because they don't have the resources to plug all the holes in this team. With the Texans, it's always Groundhog Day.

ghettocheeze and craigharmann like this.
  2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

he studied film of them playing football, film containing a healthy rg3 and not-kneeling kap. neither of those players exist right now and if they did neither would be available so what's your point...

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

exactly right... he was ready to pull the trigger because he HAD seen enough of watson but wanted watson to work for it and not be handed the position like savage was.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Just lame duck BOB and if we win a Super Bowl with him then you pay him.

If the Texans extend him they are are dumb as I thought.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Jim Bob ain't happening.

[​IMG]

6. texian

texian Member

Prediction:

Rick has already fired O'Brien. Coach will have his choice of better GMs in CHI, NYJ, NYG, IND and maybe even TEN and DET both of whose GMs highly covet him and whose rosters are underperforming.

He will not end up in CLE, as he has spurned their interest in the past. I don't think he'll sign up for Jameis. I think Hue goes back to CIN.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i don't know how good of a coach O'Brien ultimately is which certainly isn't a gleaming endorsement. what i do know, though, is that in most of our games where we had a mostly healthy team we looked daaaaaamn good. granted there are two losses in that stretch that fall almost entirely on him - sea and NE - but with a healthy deshaun i certainly thought this team had what it took to compete hard in the playoffs.

i'm just laughing at all the folks skewering O'Brien for our recent performances while trotting out a team of practice squad guys. this is a lost season, get used to it.

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

It's going to very interesting to see what they do. I think it's pretty obvious that Rick and OB don't see eye to eye and I wouldn't bet on an extension. Maybe they let it play out next year, and if things don't go exceedingly well maybe they take a look at Vrabel at HC. I also heard a radio caller one day bring up the idea of trading OB which is interesting. No doubt he'd be coveted, and if they really don't see moving forward with him on another contract they could get something in return for him.

9. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

Hmm....that’s a possibility!! Trade OB and get a 1st rounder in return? Or a few picks back? That would help!!

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This would likely mean that Rick stays which would just be a huge mistake. Need to clean house completely.

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't disagree but we all know that isn't happening. I mean he just signed an extension.

While I lack any confidence in OB ever winning big playoff games, mostly because his brain gets the equivalent of a blue screen of death with the game on the line, our offense did look great with Watson this year. So another year to see what he can do wouldn't be a bad thing.

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

while there are a lot of factors at play, at a macro level, the guy goes (coming off a 2-14 season...yes, injury-driven, but so is this season--and it's not as awful):

9-7
    9-7, 0-1 playoffs
    9-7, 1-1 playoffs
    Finally gets a good QB, and looks damn good when he's healthy. Loses QB and all the other guys we've lost. Team misses playoffs

I don't believe he's the right guy, but it's hard to see how that progression gets someone fired. None of those teams really fell short of expectations given the personnel. I won't complain if he gets another year to try and prove himself

13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

If I was betting on who would be the last one standing it would be Ricky McNair.

kaleidosky likes this.
  14. solid

solid Contributing Member

The way the offense looked with DW will get BOB an extension automatically.

15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

16. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Giants got things started today by cleaning house and firing both Ben McAdoo and GM Jerry Reese, what are the Texans waiting for?

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

As far as I know, Jerry Reese isn't best friends with John Mara's or Steve Tisch's kids or godfather to any grandchildren.

18. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

So what? Michael whacked Carlo even though Michael was godfather to his children.

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Bob McNair is no Michael Corleone.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

O'Brien isn't going anywhere. Those 7 games with Watson showed the organization that BOB can develop a QB.