1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FIFA] World Cup 2018 in Russia Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by daywalker02, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

2. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Most of them have joined investor toy clubs like PSG, City, Donezk, Chelsea etc. Not the best choices and it is known that a ton of Brazilians enter this business to make money only.

Jontro likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Meanwhile mysteriously enshrouded.

South Tyrol.

Torn n Frayed, Yung-T and Raz like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

6. ferrari77

But isn't that the point for most people in many careers? You enter it to make as much money as you possibly can. Why is it bad for athletes/specifically footy players tho? They have a short amount of time to make as much money as possible so why hate on them for doing that? Obvy it sucks when they leave or force their way out of our fav teams to go to those moneybag nouveau riche teams but that's the game of life though breh. We're all tryna get paid and so are they.

7. Aware

Aware Member

Everyone is in it to make money if that was not the case most players would stay in their home league.
    I'm always for the players to make their money in any sports. Soccer can be brutal the way players can be bounced around so easily. Get paid, son.

ramotadab and ferrari77 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol the Brazilians are very good at money making when it comes to soccer.......I agree with the above said.

Jontro likes this.
  9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

There's a limit though, all of the big league players are millionaires and get extremely high wages. To then see some mid-20s or early -20s guy join **** clubs like Donezk or China just to make a couple of mil more shows how they don't give a F about competing against their peers and only care for money and fame.

Of course it is a job, but you still see multimillionaires crying their heart out after losses and giving it their all.
    These guys have my respect, the players joining the likes of Donezk, China, PSG etc just want to make a quick buck and then lie to the fans with bullshit like "I've always admired PSG/City", "this is a great project" bla.

Jontro likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Donezk and the Donbass are something else, but you see players leaving when there was safety issues and war like elements.

11. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Perhaps you referring to them throwing game for $$? Well, rumor is they did that in 98 vs France and last WC vs Germany. Too many similarities in both games; loosing marks on corner kicks for easy goals on headers....uh yeah...very un-Brasil like...

Jontro likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  13. ferrari77

I mean ideally most players in their early or mid 20s would want to achieve both- competing against their peers at the highest level AND make as much money as possible in the time frame they have. But I still can't begrudge any player that goes to Shakhtar or the Chinese league etc for some more millions because they value making more money a bit more than they do playing in Europe or Spain/Germany/England against better opposition. Whether they are already a millionaire or not. To me that's not worthy of my anger or dislike. You see that at normal everyday non-sports jobs as well.

Some people would be content making what they are earning at a Venture Capital firm in Silicon Valley or New York and others would take a slight increase in pay to move to another firm albeit a smaller one in stature and recognition in Houston or Dallas or maybe Denver. All for a slight increase in pay. But they have a greater window to do that-basically 50 or 60 years to keep earning that salary and increase their earnings while the footy player is lucky to get 10 years to earn a million or over. If someone in China is offering a pay increase and you already participated in the Champions league then why not make the move and take the money? The money won't always be available or offered but those teams in Europe will still be there by the time the player is ready to leave China.

If PSG or City come calling for a player at a club in the Bundesliga or Spain or England and you have both the opportunity to (1) Earn more money and (2) win a medal(league, league cup, contend in the champions league) then why would a player say no? Unless you have some total attachment to your current team and came up through the youth system, etcetera etcetera and want to be a one team player but that's rare nowadays for good reason.
    I mean of course it sux when they lie that they've always admired or been a fan of PSG/City etc but that's not that big a deal. They know they are lying and any discerning fan knows the player is lying. It's all lies, it's all a game. The teams lie, the agents lie, the managers/coaches lie and the players lie. That's sports in the past and today man.

ramotadab likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thing is Donezk and China and PSG are different subjects. They all have money. That is their comon denominator.

PSG are obviously competitive, without Neymar, Mbappe always in the UCL.

Donezk has money, has a connection to Brazilians before they got their big names in the media.

Those are markets are already tapped.

Leagues like the Mexican league, partly MLS (with Mexican support) and Chinese are the next big markets to come. (More Untapped potential)

I know European brehs dun want to see it but there are leagues who are putting money where their mouth are, and fostering kids to play European football.

Futball does not belong to Europe alone.

They also want to spend money on brehs that have a name that are still 26-30, still in their prime.

I can only say that 70% of Chinese brehs dun want players that are older than 32-33 now. You can do the math.

#94 daywalker02, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    ramotadab likes this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

well i'm just speaking of players from lfc in very recent memory. players from south america have all gone to spain and some on bad terms. this has led me to have a bad taste for south american players, whether deserving or not, due to my over generalization. and the latest that forced his way out was coutinho, a brazilian, hence my unfair generalization of brazilian players. if he keeps on improving, i'm sure firminho will force his way out as well, but i think he's just a product of the system and an above average striker.

if only english talents were more abundant...

16. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]
    Couldn't resist lol

Jontro likes this.
  17. ferrari77

But you can surely understand why a South American would "force his way" to Spain as soon as word gets to him that Barcelona is interested? I mean, Barcelona and Madrid to a South American (and at this point to pretty much every player of the game in every country in the world) is the zenith of club football teams to play for.

Imagine if you played for an MLS team, say the Dynamo. Then you hear that Liverpool, your favourite team, a legendary team, are sniffing about trying to see if you'd be interested in playing for them. There's no way you wouldn't try to do any and everything in your power to make that move go through. Now I'd be more ticked off if Suarez, Coutinho and Firmino (in the future) were forcing their way out to go play for Espanyol or Sociedad.

ramotadab and Jontro like this.
  18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Icardi not nominated for the world cup, weird decision.

19. ferrari77

Spain squad out. No Morata or Fabregas...understandably.

Taking Nacho Monreal instead of Marcos Alonso is just a headscratcher. Even Arsenal supporters must be wondering what the heck Lopetegui is thinking.

No Batra as well but that's not as egregious as Monreal over Alonso.

20. ferrari77

Very weird. I know the argies are loaded at striker but Icardi just had another quality season. I'd have dropped Higuain. Tough choices for Argentina for sure but I'd go Icardi over Higuain. Maybe Higuain is just Messi's boy and Sampaoli knows it....or Icardi didn't endear himself to Sampaoli. How do you not take the leading scorer in Serie A over his compatriots in the same league?

ramotadab likes this.