1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FIFA 2026 World Cup] Mexico want to battle U.S., Canada for bid

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SwoLy-D, Dec 12, 2014.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Mexico want to battle with US, Canada for CONCACAF support to host 2026 FIFA World Cup

Whatcha think? I think it's doable. Maybe... co-host like the two Asian countries did...

:eek: Co-host??!?!?!

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What benefit is there for the US to co-host with anyone? We have the stadiums, the infrastructure, and the opportunity to be the most profitable World Cup ever (with 1994 being 2nd). There's no reason for the US to co-host and we should be considered the clear favorite. I'm trying to write this in a way that doesn't come off as conceited but we are, by far, the best choice. We were screwed out of '18 and '22, have only hosted 1 (to Mexico's 2) and will have had 32 years in between Cups.

3. SwoLy-D

Ummm... maybe because foreigners would like to pay LESS in Mexico and enjoy better food, drinks, and parties? :grin:

OK, with all seriousness, you have a point... albeit conceited and biased, but... Mexico has much better and way SOCCER-friendlier stadiums. You would have to work a bit extra to fill up many stadiums here in the U.S. and A., and your teams would have to forfeit or cancel their games during that one or two months... (I still can't understand why they don't suspend MLS games during the Cups).

:eek: Co-hosting would work much better in your favor. I'm even letting you have that.

ALSO: Mexico to play the U.S. in April - the 15th, I believe, in a yet-to-be-determined place.

4. leroy

And beheadings? :p

I'm fairly positive that hosting a Cup would force the MLS to suspend operations for that month. There was no problem filling stadiums in 1994 and many of the newer ones were built with soccer more in mind. NRG, Jerry World, and the new stadium in Atlanta are perfect examples.

5. SwoLy-D

WOW... CLASSY. Nice.

You probably forgot Atlanta's Olympics terrorist threats... those are cool with you, I guess.
    Is that THE ONLY WAY? Yeah, I agree. There's plenty of reason to suspend play or re-arrange season dates to play other times, but... nah... why, right? :rolleyes: But NOT if the Cup is in another country? Is that OK with you? MLS should change its schedule... many or all other leagues already do that. Who the heck plays in June when a possible Cup is to be played?
    That's funny... in a country where the league is supposed to be getting better, we probably could use a few of those stadiums... if we need to fill in 20,000 or maybe 25,000. Or use non-MLS stadiums like in 94... :p true.

Countries like Spain, Italy, Argentina, Germany, and Brazil all used SOCCER-built stadiums that the local leagues use. The U.S. will never match that.

6. leroy

yeah, that's totally what I was saying. :rolleyes:

I never said they should or shouldn't. I think it's quite stupid to play during the Cup. The level of play drops significantly when the league's best players aren't there.

Duh. MLS teams don't need NFL sized Stadiums (outside of Seattle). But plans like NRG, the new Atlanta stadium, Gillette, etc. etc. Were built with soccer in mind and make great plans to watch big games.

7. smr6

smr6 Member

I don't quite understand Swoly's gripe about the stadiums.

The 1994 World Cup is the highest attended world cup of all time with roughly 150,000 more attendees than the 2014 World Cup, and an average attendance that 15,000 higher than the second best average.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_records#Attendance

If anything, our excess of large stadiums, regardless of their primary use, is an advantage. The World Cup wants to sell tickets, and that is a proven commodity in the U.S. even 20 years after the fact.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know you're trolling. The 1994 USA World Cup in the US still has the highest attendance level of any tournament and you think it'd be harder for the US to fill football stadiums in 2026? We did that in 1994, dog. International teams sell out friendlies in NFL stadiums in the US - imagine how the World Cup would do. Do you really think Mexico's stadium infrastructure is "better" for a real reason or is it for a totally arbitrary reason like "It's fútbol country, therefore the stadiums are better"?

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tell Mexico to clean up their country first, to many lawless areas there.

DD

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

ugh

DD vs Swoly

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

A lot of the current nfl stadiums are built with FIFA pitches in mind. Owners aren't stupid. That's revenue generated from those international friendlies and club friendlies.

Also, I think internationals would rather visit the United States.

Plus, I rather drive to NRG than fly to Guadalajara.

12. SwoLy-D

Meh. It will be shared at best. :eek:
    No incidents at soccer games. Go figure, right? :grin:

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would not be adverse to it, but Mexico is just in a bad state ATM - until they actually do something about the lawless nature, it is just too risky.

DD

14. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member