1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] "It's like he [JH] is getting better every game." -- PJ Tucker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Nov 22, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He was great last year, but with one summer under his belt training for a known system role, we should have expected the improvement which comes with being comfortable and more experienced in the system -- seeing it, slowing it down in your mind.

Some good quotes on the game/system getting easier for Harden in his 2nd year of it:

Featuring -- On Being Faster

"I'm moving better, a lot better, so I'm more efficient," Harden said. "I'm more able to get to my spots I want to quickly, not taking those unneeded steps on the court whether I'm trying to score or I'm trying to make a play for somebody else. Just trying to be a little bit faster and be more efficient.

"I'm moving faster and no wasted steps, straight-line drives, and getting to my spots a step or two faster. It's hard for a defense to guard that."

And -- On the Step-Back 3

"I work on that. I practice it," Harden said. "Defenders are scared or kind of nervous about me getting to the basket because they know it opens up a lot of opportunities for my teammates. So they give me a step. The step-back helps me out even more."

INB4: Yeah, but can he do it in the playoffs.

Stay down, Parsons

[​IMG]

James Harden has found a way to be even better for Rockets
    By Jonathan Feigen, Houston Chronicle | November 21, 2017

The statistics that James Harden has often insisted do not interest him have said plenty. He said more.

All that was missing was a mic to drop.

Closing in on a quarter of the season, Harden is the NBA's leader in scoring (31.6 points per game) and assists (9.9), bidding to become the first to lead in both for a full season since Nate Archibald in 1972-73. That has inspired teams to try just about every defense they could find, from switches to traps, from going over and under screens to sending swarms of defenders to the lane to keeping them on shooters at the 3-point line.

Harden dismissed each with equal measures of indifference.

"Seen it all the last few years," Harden said. "Ain't nothing they can do about it."
    Teams will no doubt try. Harden will have to demonstrate he can make the best 3-point shooting of his career (40.4 percent) last. Since opening night against the Warriors, who began the season slowly on the defensive end, the Rockets have played relatively few defensive teams.

To the Rockets, however, there is an answer for each defensive tactic, with success or failure in their hands - and usually in Harden's.

"Last year, I thought he was unbelievable," Rockets coach Mike D'Antoni said. "I don't know what he is this year. He's gone up another level."
    Harden's assists this season have led to an average of 24.2 points per game. The 55.8 points per game he has produced either from his scoring or assists lead the NBA and are one point per game off Archibald's league record.

Defending Harden has become much more difficult because of his range shooting. In the past nine games, he has averaged 36.7 points, making 47.2 percent of his shots and 44.5 percent of his 3s. In the first eight games of the season, he averaged 26 points on 42.2 percent shooting and 34.6 percent 3-point shooting.

Step-back 3 big weapon

When Harden makes his 3s, especially when he knocks down step-back 3s off the dribble, defenders have to step out too far to stay in front of him.

"I work on that. I practice it," Harden said. "Defenders are scared or kind of nervous about me getting to the basket because they know it opens up a lot of opportunities for my teammates. So they give me a step. The step-back helps me out even more."
    When Harden is making his step-back jumper, D'Antoni said, "I would say it's all over. But it's all over, anyway.
    "The guy is so good offensively, it makes him so much more difficult to guard, if that's possible. But his efficiency is off the charts. That's where he's really good: how efficient he has been. A big part of that is making shots."
    Harden, however, cites the change in the way he feels. NBA tracking data indicates he has been playing at roughly the same pace as last season, moving roughly as rapidly. But Harden, about 12 pounds lighter, said he has been quicker with the ball, making him more difficult to defend one-on-one and more efficient with his moves.

"I'm moving better, a lot better, so I'm more efficient," Harden said. "I'm more able to get to my spots I want to quickly, not taking those unneeded steps on the court whether I'm trying to score or I'm trying to make a play for somebody else. Just trying to be a little bit faster and be more efficient.
    "I'm moving faster and no wasted steps, straight-line drives, and getting to my spots a step or two faster. It's hard for a defense to guard that."
    'Full-time attack mode'

Harden has had mixed results against the best defensive teams - the Grizzlies and Jazz - the Rockets have faced. His numbers have been generally down against Memphis (27.3 points on 40.5 percent shooting) and were way up in his one game against Utah (56 points on 76 percent shooting).

The Rockets have not played the Thunder and Spurs, who slowed Harden in last season's playoffs by having a long defender go over screens and forcing him into backpedaling rim protectors in the lane, a defense the Rockets hope they can solve with the addition of Chris Paul as another playmaker on the floor with Harden.

Those tests will come. For now, Harden might be on an offensive roll as impressive as any he has had. There might not be a defense to take away everything, to the point that when Harden hits step-back 3s off the dribble, "you have no chance," says teammate P.J. Tucker.

Tucker says Harden is better than the player he defended so many times over the years.

"He's going to score a lot of points, but now, how he picks and chooses times when he attacks, when he finds Clint (Capela), when he kicks it out for 3s, that progression he makes in his mind is even better," Tucker said. "Full-time attack mode all the time is what makes the wheels go on our team.
    "The game is easy, man, for him. It comes so easy. He makes it look so easy. He's so smart, picking and choosing when he attacks, when he makes plays, when he passes, just everything. How he dissects other people's defenses is amazing. It's like he's getting better every game."
    =================================
    And to think he has this guy to relieve some burden off his shoulders, and to learn even more from.

[​IMG]

#1 heypartner, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

surprised nobody's jumped on the media conspiracy angle of this.

3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Dare I say ...."It's Hard to defend Harden" ...o_O

Houstunna and Os Trigonum like this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yeah, but can he do it in the playoffs?

Houstunna likes this.
  5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

stop whining no one could have gotten us farther last year

not 10 game rest/I need 2 stars at least to compete/51 win in the least Lebron
    nor 10+ game injured Lebron/can't win with WB, those cats, and coach/I need join a superteam/got the GSW with less wins than the year before KD

the rockets team around Harden was a 50 win team at best and sure not a WCF team

GSW with Harden last year will still be the champs
    Cavs with Harden will still have reached the Finals

don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  6. vlaurelio

you mean Tucker is part of the media?

don grahamleone and napalm06 like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Feigen cherry-picking his sources. Typical anti-Rockets, media conspiracy d-bag move. :cool:

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. vlaurelio

so there are actually players out there who doesn't think Harden is playing MVP calibre ball this season? you mean those same players who voted him for players MVP in 2015?

LOL whatever you say WB trip dub nuthugger

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I think you missed napalms sarcasm there vlaurelio

Houstunna and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. vlaurelio

thanks. my bad if he was

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

seems to be a common issue this morning

BamBam and BigMaloe like this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The combination of him gaining more stamina from his weight loss and having a superstar pg as a teammate easing his burden should make him ready for the playoffs.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Harden is unreal. We are watching one of the greatest offensive players in NBA history. Just an absolute basketball juggernaut. I don't even see a way were he could realistically play any better.

At this volume, there has been very few instances of this level of efficiency.

[​IMG]

Fullcourt, da_juice, Patience and 2 others like this.
  15. heypartner

16. heypartner

Since Lebron and Harden are in that list for this (incomplete) year, here's the table sorted by WS/48, rather than the WS totals, giving us a better idea of where his WS total could be at the end of the year, compared to Jordan.

[​IMG]

#16 heypartner, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  17. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Somebody in Houston's giant medical center needs to put Harden in a brain scanner. I'm positive that he's diagnosable and that this accounts for his genius. His weird, spaced-out, eye-wandering behavior during interviews must be related somehow to his uncanny ability to absorb the movement of nine other people while handling the ball under pressure. It's as though time slows down for him.

18. heypartner

It helps him in strip clubs, too.

19. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

The secret? His beard.

da_juice likes this.
  20. s3ts

s3ts Member

It's the Houston Chronicle.........