1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Cologne

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Dec 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Haha awesome, it was probably either Aventus or Green Irish Tweed.

Creed is actually pretty affordable if you get in on splits. I personally prefer to have the actual bottles because I like how they look, but if that isn't important to you then you should look into getting a decant. My friends have bought stuff from this guy on BaseNotes, and it's 100% legit.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/41...Q-BOND-D-amp-G-LaDDM-Dress-Code-HEROD-Tea4Two

I tried all the Aventus clones (Ab Silver, Insurrection Pure II, Supremacy Silver, Club de Nuit Intense), and while they are similar off the top, they go in different directions not long after. The highest quality Aventus 'clone' imo is Bond No 9 HTTP, but that is similar in price to Aventus so it kind of defeats the purpose.

Bleecker St is going to get a lot of use this spring! I like Straight to Heaven a lot as well, but I don't get very good performance out of it.

One of my favorite TF's. Had to get full bottles of this one, Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, and Noir de Noir.

1 person likes this.
  2. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

I like the designer fragrances more than the niche

3. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I tend to agree, as they are generally easier to wear and crowd-pleasers. That being said, I don't really consider Creed, Bond, or Tom ford as 'niche' houses so much as expensive designers.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Welp... let's see... I'm not certain, but I think the following were after my last post in this thread :

Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche - disappointed in this. I can barely smell anything. Was hoping for a home run. It barely made it to the game. :( Maybe it's just me. But, for some reason, I also thought I could barely smell Midnight in Paris, but after a while, for some reason, that one became a stronger scent to me and I liked it. I'm not getting that with this one.

Prada Infusion de Vetiver - I wear this frequently even though it's a bit generic. It's good-but-not-great. The vetiver isn't overpowering and won't knock people out. It's almost like a sweet vetiver.

Guerlain l'eau Boisee - Love this one. If you like Terre d'Hermes, you'll probably like this. It's got a spicy, sweet, citrus kick to it. I wear this on a weekly basis to work. Don't need much, either. For the price, I thought this is a steal. Again, don't blame me if you don't agree. :grin:

John Varvatos Dark Rebel - I haven't worn this in a while, but the opening on it definitely lives up to its name. It's dark and tobacco-y with sweetness thrown in. It didn't blow my mind, but it was a letdown since I thought it was incredible when I first tried it, but after I used it a few times, I noticed it became a different animal during the drydown. If you love tobacco/masculine scents, it may be worth a try.

Amouage Lyric - Rose trips me up everytime I smell the note in mens colognes. I love Lyric simply because of this scent. If you don't like rose, you won't like this scent. The only bit of a letdown in this is at times I feel like I'm wearing some kind of shampoo. lol. All-in-all, I love the scent. It's a lot different than one of my other favorite "rosy" (but more sandalwood) scents, Santal Majuscule or my other "rosy" favorite, Declaration d'Un Soir. I think it's a bit overpriced for the scent, though. While I like the scent, I don't think it's unique and "wow" enough to justify the price.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Which Creed? I have Silver Mountain Water and Himalaya is on my list for a future buy. I also love love Aventus, but I've got to gather enough guts to spend money on that. The only problem with a lot of the Creeds is that they don't have much longevity on the skin for a lot of people.

Like I said above, I love Aventus! I tried a decant of Straight to Heaven once and wasn't a huge fan. I liked Jubilation, but I have Amouage Dia on my list of future buys after smelling a decant of that one. If nothing else Amouage makes some sweet-looking bottles. I've never tried Bleecker St., though I've read a lot of good things about it.

I kind of agree with you. I think a lot of the guys that go after niche are just trying to find something that everybody and their father isn't wearing at every turn. A lot of times it works. But I've smelled some really expensive niche colognes that smell like crap to me. On the other hand a lot of the designer fragrances all smell similar to me. With them, it's usually a case of "been there done that". They all seem to be copying each other or something with the same notes/ingredients. For everyday wear to places like work, I do like the designer fragrances more than the niche (generally-speaking).

This thread is (once again) making me think I need to check out what's new out there and getting some decants to experiment ... :grin:

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

It was Aventus.

On a different note, if you want to fall in love with you wife/GF all over again, get her a bottle of CHANEL Coco Mademoiselle. AMAZING! (Heart eyes emoji)

7. jsingles

jsingles Member

Big fan of Burberry. Just picked up their new Mr. Burberry cologne. By far the best thing I've ever smelled. Was wearing Burberry Touch for a while, highly recommend that as well.

8. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Just got Creed Aventus from the wife for Christmas.

Can't wait to wear it when it's guys night out.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Same here. I'm currently using that, which I like a lot (so does she), although it's really a strong scent initially, and my old standby, Acqua di Parma - Colonia Intensa. Love the powder I got with the Acqua di Parma years ago, and it lasted for years. Would love to get some more, if anyone has any ideas. Wish Amazon carried Acqua di Parma products.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

My SO has a very sensitive nose so anything typically deemed a "winter" scent is too strong for her.

I've just switched from Azzaro Chrome to Nautica Voyage as my daily driver.

I tried Issey Miyake for a bit, but even that was too strong.

Guess I'm doomed to use citrus/aquatics forever.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I finally bought this a few months ago. I wear it daily now. One thing I've always loved about Creed : their sprayers rock. They're equally as good as Varvatos' are bad. lol.

Amazon has a bunch of them. I don't buy from them usually because they usually cost more and have been known to have fakes of the more expensive stuff, but .... are these what you're looking for :

http://www.groominglounge.com/acqua-di-parma-talcum-powder.html
    amazon has one, but the forum keeps converting it to some kind of media link, so I gave up but be careful - already one person in there claiming it may be a fake... lol
    http://www.barneys.com/product/acqua-di-parma-colonia-talcum-powder-shaker-305015120.html (no chance this is fake)
    http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Acqua-di-Parma-Fragrant-Talc/prod16720110/p.prod (legit!)
    http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524446148194 (legit!)

Azzaro Chrome is one of my favorite scents of all time. I've always loved citrus/aquatics. I can't stand a lot of the new stuff coming out now in department stores because they all smell like a candy factory or syrup shop just blew up.

#431 Dr of Dunk, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Deckard likes this.
  12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yo my b**** be lk diz sum Doll Chi and Bagana Lite Bleu den I heard it n she sez I smellz lk goood.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's exactly what I'm looking for, Dr of Dunk. Neiman's or Saks works for me. They might have to order it, but I don't mind. Love the stuff. I won't take a chance with Amazon. Thanks!

If anyone likes a good powder from time to time, something very nice that doesn't overwhelm whoever you're sitting next to, the Acqua di Parma talc is terrific.

14. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Looking for a new cologne. Want to get something that leaves a positive impression when I enter / leave the room. Since this will last me a year or so I'm willing to spend for an amazing scent. But I'm not really educated in this stuff.

For the past year I've been alternating between Gucci Guilty and Gucci by Gucci - love the scents. Backups are Chrome by Azzarro and Burberry Brit. Have a bottle of Versace Man that was a gift but I've never used. Years ago my first bottle was Armani Mania and that was an instant favorite.

I've skimmed a bit and Spicebomb and Creed Aventus get mentioned a lot. Any others I should check out?

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

My main go to right now is Molecule 01. Look into it, it’s simply a base note that has more of an aura than a scent. Some people can’t even smell it but somehow still notice it.

It’s a must have. I get endless compliments when wearing it. You can even layer other types of cologne over it for a different effect.

Rizzy likes this.
  16. Rox11

Rox11 Member

@Rizzy funny you say that because I felt the same kind of way as of a few weeks back, and thought that I had already known what I liked. Collection was alternating mainly between Chrome and Mont Blanc..

So a few weeks ago while going to the mall to buy shoes me and my bud passed by a fragrance store and I told my friend let’s go in, i wanted him to try this Mercedes cologne which I liked from smelling it at another store few weeks back. That cologne smells very close to Mont Blanc actually without a certain smell I dislike in Blanc.

What was supposed to be a 2 minute try ended up being the most amazing hour or so experience because of the gentleman in the store. The place was empty and this guy was literally grabbing everything and having us try it, discuss it, introduce us to so many different kindes of smells. Must have used over 20 little papers. Was a educational experience honestly, we learned so much about how there is low notes, high notes, and how some colognes go from high to low and actually intensify or disappear depending on how they mix to your personal smell.

I know some people who have some of the stuff I use and they make me gag or want to throw away some of the colognes because they just don’t mix well with them.

After all that he noticed I gravitated to the woody type he told me that there is one that he refers to as the ”king of wood” lol it’s Dior Homme Eau De Toilette

Go to a fragrance shop in dead hour and do what I did and try many different types. Ask to try the one I mentioned , it blew my mind the first time.

17. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

That's cool that he took the time to help you out! Did you get the Dior Homme Eau? I assume he meant this one:

[​IMG]

and not this one:

[​IMG]

Another tip for noobs is to go to Sephora, spray as many as you want onto test strips (you're supposed to do this - they have the strips out for you), then ask one of the employees for a free sample of the one(s) you're interested in trying. They'll give you at least 3, usually more if you are nice and seem genuinely interested vs hunting for free ****.

@Rizzy what situation? Work, clubbing, day/night, etc?

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

You know you are getting old when you see your go to cologne on mark down at cvs...fml

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I find it highly offensive that you have a man of god like Joel Osteen depicted as a swindler, con artist etc.

20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I find Joel Osteen offensive