1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Farouk Shami seeking Texas Democratic Gubernatorial nomination

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mulder, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6729011.html

AUSTIN — Houston hair-care millionaire Farouk Shami is launching his bid for the Texas Democratic gubernatorial nomination today as an example of the American dream: a poor immigrant who earned a fortune through hard work.

But it could be a tough sell for the naturalized U.S. citizen from the West Bank in the wake of the Fort Hood shootings and anti-Muslim rhetoric against the accused gunman. Even before the Fort Hood incident, Shami had come under fire from a national conservative commentator who claimed his support for Palestinian rights put him in opposition to Israel.

Shami, who made a fortune through hair-care products, said he will put $10 million of his own money into his campaign and raise another $10 million. He will make his formal announcement today at his Chi USA headquarters in Houston.

Shami, 66, said he is running for governor as someone who has lived the American dream, a successful businessman who wants to stimulate the economy by creating tens of thousands of jobs in the solar energy business in Texas.

“I am pure Texan and pure American,” Shami said.

Shami and two brothers moved to the United States from Jordan in the early 1960s. He dropped out of the University of Arkansas when he started making more money in the hair business than he could as a doctor. He developed the Bio-Silk and Chi product lines.

While Shami has a history of philanthropy in the United States and helping victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Ike, he also has a history of actively pushing for Palestinian rights. He built a girls school and a company factory for Palestinians. In a 2007 article he wrote for the Houston Chronicle, Shami complained that Israeli policies were discriminating against Palestinians and holding back development in their lands.

“The absence of economic and social freedom for Palestinians is in no one's long-term interest not Palestinians, nor Israelis, and certainly not Americans,” Shami wrote.

Such sentiments brought him under fire from conservative commentator Debbie Schlussel, who suggested he is anti-Israel in a piece titled “Jihad and hair care: Meet Texas Dems' Palestinian Muslim candidate for governor.” Conservative talk show hosts have been railing against Muslims because a Palestinian-American is accused of killing 13 people at Fort Hood.

“What has this to do with me?” asked Shami, noting he chartered an airplane for one group of U.S. soldiers so they could spend more time with their families before deploying overseas. “There are crazy people and fanatics in all countries. I love our troops.”

His Farouk Systems Web site had prominently played his Palestinian heritage. It is not mentioned on his campaign Web site, which states that he came to the United States 44 years ago. His biography has been removed from the company Web site.

Southern Methodist University political scientist Cal Jillson said Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal proved a candidate like Shami can overcome ethnic prejudices among voters. But Jillson said visceral reactions remain strong among many Texans.

“There has been a great deal of progress on race and ethnicity in Texas, but those things are not gone and Fort Hood reactivated that visceral reaction,” Jillson said.

Shami's brother, Jamil, who lives in Virginia, said “only time will tell” whether Texas voters will accept Farouk as a legitimate candidate. Jamil Shami said voters should realize that most Americans have an immigrant background. He said Farouk is sincere in his love of Texas.

“I view Farouk as an American success story,” his brother said, “And he gives credit to the American environment and the more immediate environment which is Texas.”

r.g.ratcliffe@chron.com

2. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

chron.com commenters strike again with rapid stupidity and racism:

Yes. Building schools is terrible.

Because someone living in the US for 40 years with millions of dollars is PROBABLY a terrorist, right?

I'm not a racist, I just hate Muslims.

I'm too stupid to actually comment on the story, so I think I'll rant about how much I hate Barack Obama, AKA THE MESSIAH TO STUPID LIBERALS!!!!11

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If your name doesn't appear somewhere in the Bible you're kinda f***ed.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The people that respond to the public comments section of the the paper are most likely sitting around in a mu-mu, stinking like their overflowing ash trays.

That being said Farouk Shami has some other goal in mind other than being elected the governor of Texas.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Joke's on you Farouk. You thought you moved to the United States but you really moved to Texas.

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

He should know better, but of course he can waste his money and try.

7. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Does that mean he'll run against Kinky in the primary?

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

This is painful. Sanctuary City Bill vs. a man who can buy anything except fluency of the English language.

By default, Perry, Hutchison, or dare I say Medina will roll.

9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Are you seriously framing Bill White's response to Katrina as a negative? Good lord.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He may lose the battle, but the important thing is that he's paving the way in a war against racism.

Ofcourse, I don't know if he really deserves it based on merits. But good for him.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

No he is talking about illegal immigrants. One too many beers tonight?

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I guess. I kinda wish he spent the money he is spending on something that might directly help people. Like open another factory in Texas or anything.

13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Anybody watch the Gubernatorial Debates the other night? Bill pretty much owned the debate & came off sounding very moderate. If he can muster up some Charisma, he may be able to take Perry/Hutch/Medina in the General election. I liked what I heard from him.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No way Bill wins in the general. Anyone see the clip of Palin at the Perry Rally Sunday.

She says, something about the news about seceding and everyone cheers

then she says the news meant to say texas was succeeding[i/] in then the cheers substantially decreased

Unbelievable

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I like Shami. But, I'm still voting for Bill.

16. Major

Major Member

Keep in mind there's a lot of anti-Perry sentiment right now and there's a general anti-incumbent sentiment around the country. Perry won his last election with around 40% of the vote, and he's currently leading his own primary with 40% of the vote. It will be interesting to see what happens in a head-to-head race without 3 people. I'm not sure Perry can get to 50%.

17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

True, theres a LOT of moderates in this state. I voted McCain in the last Presidential, but Kinky in the Gov Race. I've watched the last Republican primary and democratic primary so far, and I may vote for Bill White this year.

18. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Potentially, one can get more done as a political leader than a factory owner. Key word is potentially. Unfortunately, track record of politicians favors him helping himself and special privileged folks more than the general public. But who knows.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

He's not Rick Perry so thats good.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I will vote for whoever is against Perry because of his secession nonsense.