1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Faried’s Role

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dje243, Feb 2, 2019.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Ok, let me try to simplify it. Capela and DJ are very similar on both ends. So teams have learned to draw Capela
    to the perimeter nullifying his defensive presence and they will do the same with DJ......so the numbers will be much
    the same.

Difference will be Capela gets $15.4M from us while DJ would be a salary cap casualty buy-out much like Faried.
    Faried is getting less than a million from the Rockets.

Here are your numbers:
    DJ (18/19) Mavs: 11.0 pts.........13.6 rebs..........2.0 ast.......1.0 blks...........68% (FT%)
    Capela (18/19): 17.6 pts............12.6 rebs.........1.5 ast........1.8 blks..........63% (FT%)
    So what is your point? Because DJ is on a lesser quality team (Mavs) he won’t get Capela numbers while with Houston?

Last year with the Clipper: DJ: 12.0 pts......15.2 rebs...........
    Year before with CP3: DJ: 12.7 pts.......13.8 rebs........1.7 blks (blks are pretty much equal to Capela now)

I say DJ would do just as fine with Houston as Capela does, because DJ hasn’t played with both CP3 and Harden together.

Free agent centers listed for this summer:
    Player.......salary this year
    Dedmon............$7.2M
    JaVale McGee...$2.4M
    Brook Lopez......$3.4M
    Richaun Holmes.....$1.6M
    Boban..................$9.5M
    Gortat...................$13.6M
    Tyson Chandler.....$2.1M
    Zaza.......................$2.4M
    Amir Johnson.........$2.4M
    Salah Mejri.............$1.6M
    These are just half the names.....if you don’t think the Rockets can’t get a rental center for a year on the cheap then you don’t know squat. If you think centers are going to get $15M to $20m this summer then you don’t know squat.
    Supply and demand says otherwise.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden and Daryl Morey aren’t letting go of Clint Capela. Sorry...

3. Chamillionaire

It's looking like Gordon might be available though. His knees are starting to look a little worn down recently.

RudyTBag likes this.
  4. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

Everyone is tradeable. If Capela could land us someone like Anthony Davis I am sure Harden and Morey would be all for it.

The reason we are seeing Faried and Capela thrive is really because of Harden and his playmaking. If we have DJ on the cheap and retain Faried, then trading Capela to net us another star while he has value might actually be a good idea..

5. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

The problem I see is with Faried and Capella on the floor together. Both play in the post and can't stretch the floor. Offensive and Defensive rebounds will be pretty much guaranteed with both on the floor, but they will clog up the post making it tough for Harden and Gordon to drive in. If I'm the opponent in this instance, I'm going after Harden's drive in and leaving the Capella and Faried open when they are further from the rim. Faried will almost strictly play with the second unit and not start as a forward.

napalm06 likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

you'll never see capela and faried on the floor together so this is a non issue. that should pretty much be understood at this point for anyone following this team on a regular basis

kevtse, StrawberryJamm and napalm06 like this.
  7. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I would love to see a starting lineup featuring Faried and Capela and then staggering their bench rotations the way we do with CP3 and James. PJ can play the role of EG.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

i wouldn't. spacing would be a nightmare and life would be that much more difficult for the likes of harden/cp3. and that's exactly why the rockets don't do it

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Faried is just a backup for Capela and Nene once everyone is healthy. He has some value in certain matchups, but unless Clint is in injured or in foul trouble, or Nene has played too many minutes, I dont see Faried getting much run unless it's to preserve Nene in weaker matchups. His poor foul shooting will make him virtually useless in playoff games. Harden is so good as an ISO players that teams would rather take their chances will fouling Faried than letting Harden cook - that is why it was so important that Capela improved his FT shooting like he has this year. If Faried was more of a defensive deterrent in the paint he might make more sense out there but right now he is just a hard working bench sparkplug for us when the matchup is right and the matchup won't be right the deeper into the playoffs we go. Absolutely love Faried's energy but gotta be real here.

#69 glimmertwins, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

faried is by far ahead of nene in the rotation. that's pretty much a given. he immediately slides in as the primary backup once capela is back. and his ft's shooting is on par with capela's. he isn't a terrible ft shooter to the point where he is useless. not at all. In fact, capela is still trying to catch up to even faried's level in that aspect at the line.

11. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Capela is shooting significantly better than Faried at the line this year. I do think Faried is ahead of Nene in the rotation right now, but like I said - that's more about preserving Nene for the playoffs. I think the rotations you see now are not going to look the same in the playoffs.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really true.

and they're preserving nene so he can be an actual emergency option. much better to have that then to not have that option at all. I don't think the thought of they're preserving him so he can be a big part of the rotation in the playoffs is realistic at this point for nene. we may find a game where he plays like 5-10 minutes but not continuously in a series. it sucks but that just seems to be where nene is at this stage of his career

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Looked back a few pages to find a Faried thread so I could make a comment. Faried's play around the basket reminds me some of Moses Malone. Moses was a pogo stick, a monster offensive rebounding machine. No, Faried isn't in his class, not hardly, but he's terrific at grabbing offensive rebounds. I've been thinking this for awhile and realized some of the folks here didn't see Moses play. Probably a lot didn't, unless it was watching film of classic games. Malone was a beast. While Faried isn't in his class, he's damn good within his limitations. Can't believe we got him "out of the blue." Crazy!

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It is crazy because the only other team that could have used Faried's talents the way the Rockets do was the Brooklyn Nets and he was 4th string water boy over there.

BaselineFade likes this.
  16. Garner

Garner Member

Faried is 8 points away from scoring more points with the Houston Rockets in 11 games then all of his total points with the Nuggets in the 2017-2018 Season

Deckard and Hakeemtheking like this.
  17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This. It is unsustainable because he's playing 30 MPG and Clint Capela my fella is coming back to play at least 25 MPG. That leaves 23 MPG at the center position and Kenneth isn't really a MDmA-power forward. He's like a Phil Jackson 1996 Bulls PF.

Still love EVERYTHING he's doing. He's not perfect on defense but he sure does try to be. Anything he lacks isn't from effort.

Deckard likes this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

They were blind.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Kenneth Faried may lose minutes or even a rotation spot, but no one will challenge his role as the most handsome Rocket, possibly of all time.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Not a relevant topic but since u mentioned it what about Parsons (douche for sure but...)? JB (if coaches count)? Dream?