1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Faried’s Role

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dje243, Feb 2, 2019.

1. dje243

dje243 Member

Kenneth Faried is posting career highs since coming to Houston in nearly every category. It is a small sample size but nothing he’s doing seems unsustainable. He is doing the things that made him a force years ago in Denver. It seems all he needed was an elite play maker and the right system to thrive. So what is his role moving forward? If the rockets are able to acquire DJ will they be able to find minutes for Faried? Is there any chance they’ll give him a shot as a more “traditional” PF or has that ship completely sailed? What’s his role on this team in the playoffs?

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

To be an unstoppable force

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Honestly, I don't think we need DJ.

There's only 5 games to go before the break, and they're all winnable games (OKC is the toughest out). I say we ride with what we have, knowing we get Capela back after the break.

If there wasn't that break, DJ should be considered.

JuNx, IvanLCPM, James.B.H and 2 others like this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Our defense with Faried at the 5 is trash. And we aren't gonna play him much at the 4 and have 2 non shooters on the floor.

When Capela gets back I think his best chance is situational bench energy, and backup 5 against small teams.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

No chance he plays the 4 here, and if (it's a big if as today) we're going to get DJ, depends on what happens with Capela, cause DJ would make Capela expendable (i'm not saying we should trade him). But assuming we end up with all three of them, i guess Faried is going to warm the bench in most of the games.

D-rock likes this.
  6. Mr. Space City

i really like faried but deandre is just better for the rockets off the bench.

and a 4 that can shoot is a fundamental part of morey / dantoni's strategy for spacing reasons.

it's the main reason they play undersized pj at the 4,

#6 Mr. Space City, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  7. Game7

Game7 Member

Faried would be good at the 4 as long as we have a defensive focused 5 that can also shoot...which we don’t.

bilaal14 likes this.
  8. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Capela is much better than DJ. Anyone who thinks otherwise is basketball dumb
    DJ can't even be on the court in the fourth quarter due to intentional fouling, he has zero post game, can he defend KD or curry or Klay on the perimeter???
    F'ing joke that people would be blind to what capela can do just because they are used to it.

9. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

He is nice to be kept around long term if he accepts minimum.
    We still need a taller backup center. Hopefully Hart can develop into that role.

10. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

He did attempt a three yesterday, so perhaps this is the rebirth of K3nn3th Fari3d?

But more seriously, I think his role is to be a Montrezl Harrell type with more defensive awareness, though still not a "good" defender per se. Pure energy, sparkplug type of dude who changes the complexion of any game he enters into. I hope get continues to get minutes throughout the season, regardless of who we bring in.

D-rock likes this.
  11. fattz

fattz Member

Mark Aguirre 2.0

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Faried's per 100 possessions are consistent with his career numbers. He's not doing anything different than what he's been doing his entire career. I hope we can keep him in the off season.

hakeem94 and adw like this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Faried feasting on backups when Capela comes back has me salivating

dje243, Deuce, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  14. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

If we get Dj... then im afraid there will be no space for KF in the reg season MOST OF THE TIME.... I love the guy and he is a magical FIT!

He wont be able to play the 4 with clint or DJ as he cant shoot.

But he will be a bench energy guy.... and also a force when teams go small in the playoffs...then we can use him as a 5.

He will be very useful for when we match up against the warriors when they play green at the 5.

IF we get DJ, big IF.... KF will still be used... just situational basketball.

cdxiong likes this.
  15. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

D-rock likes this.
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Faried is a Capela-lite version.
    per basketball-reference.com (18/19 w/Houston)
    Stat........................Faried...................................Capela............(Faried last 4 gms as starter....not including tonight)
    Minutes...................30.7........................................34.2........................33.8 mins
    Pts...........................16.5.......................................17.6..........................18.8 pts
    OReb........................3.8.........................................5.0............................4.8
    DReb........................5.3.........................................7.6............................5.5
    TReb.........................9.2........................................12.6..........................10.3
    blks............................1.2........................................1.8............................1.0
    FT%...........................56.3%...................................62.6%......................62.5 FT%

36-min stat.................Faried...................................Capela
    Pts...............................19.4.......................................18.5
    OReb...........................4.5..........................................5.2
    DReb............................6.3.........................................8.0
    TReb............................10.9.......................................13.2
    blks...............................1.4.........................................1.9

I’ve always said Capela is a product of the system and I wouldn’t pay over $15 Mil if I can find someone who
    can jump and deposit the lobs well.

Salary
    Faried est. $917.272...............Capela est $15.4 Mil.

This is why I have hinted at trading Capela once DJ comes along......but it would be a nice luxury to keep both for
    the rest of the season as well.

cooldudes42 and Williamson like this.
  17. jboslett

jboslett Member

Need a 4/5 that can shoot. Then P.J. can play less, and we can play real size with Capela, Faried, and said shooting 4/5. Mirotic seems logical.

BMoney, dje243 and D-rock like this.
  18. jboslett

jboslett Member

We have Capela locked up to a good contract, whereas DJ would come for what, the last few months of the season? Not sure this would be wise for the future.

arabrocket likes this.
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Faried just can't play defense like an actual center. He can def a spark plug off the bench though

dje243, D-rock, glynch and 1 other person like this.
  20. Boki4MvP

Boki4MvP Member

We finally have a good problem is dj comes

D-rock likes this.