1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fantasy football advice thread [2016-17]

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by BigMaloe, Aug 29, 2016.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Christ. What a terrible week. How many QBs put up terrible stats yesterday? Even ones not playing in winter conditions.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Somehow Dak & Zeke put up so few points I won despite being projected to lose by 40 as of 7pm CST yesterday. Yeehaw! Hopefully AJG returns and Reed is healthy next week (yeah right).

3. JTQ

JTQ Member

hhahaha I own Winston and Big Ben... been pondering all week which one to play. I made a right choice... Winston got 8 points....Big Ben 6 pts ...HAHAHAHAHHA

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I missed the playoffs in my money league because the Patriots didn't kick a single Field Goal.

And now AJ Green is practicing.

Sigh.

5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Playoffs week 2! Help me!

Freeman, Hill, Brown are locks but I don't know what to do with WR2 and Flex. Also Palmer vs. Luck, but I'm pretty sure on Palmer given matchups.

[​IMG]

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

@kevC Taylor Gabriel isn't seeing a lot of opportunities but has gotten an insane amount of points off limited targets. He's a boom or bust option. If you're in a PPR I would count on Edelman and Landry to at least provide a safe floor. The Lions can't run the ball so Golden Tate is probably a good play, but I would also be wary of conditions and Stafford's injured hand. If Theo Riddick is healthy, I would flex him in.

7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Unfortunately, not PPR so Edelman and Landry have been frustrating. I might have to go with a boom or bust option for flex/WR2 because the guy I'm going against has a monster team.

Also, do you guys consider the cross matchups from the other team at all? For example, I'm going against Matt Ryan and Larry Fitz. Should that affect my decision to play Gabriel or Palmer at all?

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I don't think it should come into play much. You need to play the guy who is going to get the most points. In a standard league where TDs matter way more, QB-WR points are more closely correlated since you don't get points for receptions. If Ryan throws 3 TDs, Gabriel could still be a dud.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

PPR. What do I do?
    [​IMG]

Players on waivers that might be interesting this week include:
    • Palmer, Tyrod Taylor
    • Crowell
    • Ty Montgomery
    • SD RB2
    • Sims
    • Alshon
    • Inman
    • Falcons, Packers, Jets, Lions
    • Novak, Forbath

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I hate Carson Palmer. HATE. So regardless of the matchups, I would start Luck over Palmer. MIN defense isn't all that anyway. For WRs, I like both Gabriel and Landry. Choosing between, I would take the one with the better QB. So Gabriel.

11. NewRoxFan

btw, it appears my league has a Losers, er, Consolation bracket. So I play on. Hard to get really excited, but probably as I get closer to game time Thursday night the competitive juices will start to flow. Don't know if I should try to add a player to replace injured players (Gordon, Moncrief, Jones) but I noticed Ty Montgomery is on the waiver wires. As is Dixon, Inman, and Meredith. Any of these worth dropping Moncrief or Ladarius Green for?

12. The Stig

The Stig Member

@NewRoxFan Don't drop Moncrief. Green is borderline drop-able due to Pittsburgh having a lot of weapons on offense. I like Inman or Ty Monty for this week but Monty is risky bc of McCarthy's ineptitude when it comes to RBs.

@Ziggy I'd swap out the Cardinals defense if I were you. Buffalo is a good play this week and Chargers is a good play next week. From your list though, I'd pick up either the Falcons or Packers.

Looking to get some advice here. I'm having trouble picking my RB2, and Flex. I'm also a bit iffy on my WR2 too. Here's what the lineup looks like. Please let me know if there's someone on my bench that I should play over the guys I currently have in right now.

QB: D. Brees
    WR1: M. Evans
    WR2: D. Adams
    RB1: T. Rawls
    RB2: R. Kelley?
    Flex: T. Hill
    TE: T. Eifert
    K: K. Forbarth
    DST: Kansas City

BN: T. Gurley, M. Crabtree, M. Thomas, K. Farrow, B. Powell, A. Jeffery

13. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I have Derek carr and Tom brady. really tempted to start carr vs San Diego as opposed to brady vs denever. thiughts?

14. The Stig

The Stig Member

Risky. Carr's accuracy has been off ever since he messed it up against Carolina a few weeks ago. They had a long rest so maybe it's okay now but keep checking the news until the day of.

15. NewRoxFan

My only change, and its a minor one, is Bilal Powel instead of Kelley. And can't really argue against Kelley, just like running against MIA a bit better than running against CAR. Plus Powell is a very good pass catcher. Thomas would be interesting as a Flex, but don't know if he is healthy (plus Brees on the road?). Like the kicker selection... I was going to replace Vinatieri with him but I waited too long and the team with Nugent grabbed him. Also like the KC as DST... lots of TOs. I have SEA and it looks like a good time to have them this week.

Thanks for the advice, and with Reed I should have felt better about launching Green. But already launched Moncrief and added Inman. Also dropped Gordon to add Farrow. I am only in a Consolation bracket so playing with roster is less stressful. May even have fun and start Farrow and Inman. Would be cool to see the two come up with big games... and heck, Ware and Fitzgerald haven't done anything in a while.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I would avoid Green Bay and Chicago offenses. Projected temperature at kickoff is 0 degrees. O/U opened at 44 and has now plummeted to 40.

Sucks for my lone playoff matchup as I have Nelson and Jeffrey.

17. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Thursday Update. I managed to pick up Bilal Powell. In the process, I've confused myself more. What should I do???

[​IMG]

18. NewRoxFan

Whats the confusion. I would reconsider the WR2 since Giants defense its pretty strong and Gabriel should have a big day against the week Niner defense, especially when Jones doesn't play. I'd also think about Landry versus Jets passing defense. I really hate Palmer, but the tough Viking defense and word of Luck being dinged and I would be OK going with Palmer at home in a favorable matchup. Still hate Palmer (one of my least favorite NFL players).

19. NewRoxFan

Warning... these are the players I plan on starting: QB Wilson, RB: Rawls RB: Miller, WR: Hilton WR Baldwin, Flex (Fitzgerald, switch to Jones if Julio plays, or maybe to Inman just because I hate Palmer so much). TE: Reed, DTS: SEA, K: Vinatieri. This is advance warning in case you plan on starting any of these since everyone I play tends to have horrible games.

Speaking of advice: I have struggled with Kicker for the last few weeks, getting minimal points (1-5) out of Vinatieri and Santos. I snoozed on Forbath and someone grabbed him yesterday. Other options include Janikowski, McManus, Santos, Hopkins, Lutz, and Lambo. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

20. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I'd just stick with Vinatieri. Vikings D give up a lot of points against kickers because of their "bend don't break" defense. Colts should be settling for a lot of field goals in a likely low scoring game.