1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Expansion Team Challenge II

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by da_juice, May 31, 2012.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

Alright, I know that this wasn't the most popular draft last time, but I'd figure I'd give it another shot. Because this draft is a bit more involved, you'll have until July 31st to submit your entry.

Synopsis and Rules:
    You pick a city (make sure it has an arena and the finances needed for success) and team name. Then you draft players as an expansion owner would in a real expansion draft. We'll use the NBA rosters as they were prior to the 2012 NBA draft; similar to how an expansion draft would take place. If you are unfamilar with the rules of an expansion draft, you can read them here.

When you are drafting players, please DRAFT PLAYERS THAT WOULD BE UNPROTECTED. DRAFTING PLAYERS WHO WOULD BE PROTECTED WILL REMOVE YOU FROM THE CHALLENGE!

One last rule, assume that there is only one fantasy team. So it's okay if multiple teams have the same players.

A good example of an entry is HI_Mana's team from last year.

You'll be judged(by me) on a ten point scale with these aspects:
    City/Location
    Team drafted

In addition, there's a three point scale for the name of the team.

Whomever has the most points when added up is the winner.

Post your entries in this thread, and feel free to comment on other contestant's entries.

Good Luck!

2. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Ok...tomorrow. Going to bed now.

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

Ok, cool. I realise it takes quite a bit effort to do this. That's why I gave such a big deadline.

4. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

I want to do this! I don't know much about expansion drafts though. I'll try to read it and make a team

5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

how do you determine which 8 players each team would protect?

6. RedNation

Edit.

#6 RedNation, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  7. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

If it's going the same direction as the last draft, you decided the 8 players each team would protect. Basically use common sense on protected players.

Not 100% that's how op wants it done.

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah, last time I tried to make a master list, and that didn't really work.

You guys don't have to submit a big list of protected players, I just want y'all to be aware that you are picking from the bottom of the barrel. If there's anybody who I don't think would be protected- I'll just ask for your reasoning as to why.

Basically, the team is choosing 15 players from other team's rosters. The team that's losing a player chooses what 8 players are exempt from being in the draft pool. You can't pick more then one player from a team. You can, however, trade with other teams in exchange for picking a certain players (the Bobcats did this with the Clippers).

9. RedNation

Alright. I'll do it. We have to pick a city where there isn't already a team? If so, I'll take Vegas

10. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Juice, if we were to trade do we trade players we took from another team or do we get some draft picks?

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

Hmmmm... expansion teams aren't in the lottery and it looks like Charlotte got the 4th pick as well as Orlando and Toronto. You'll be given the same thing I guess, the 4th pick in the 1st round and the 4th pick in the 2nd round.

12. da_juice

da_juice Member

Forget what I said about picking 15 expansion players. For the sake of this draft, you'll have 13 expansion picks and the two regular draft picks. That way you have 15 players.

13. RedNation

Ok, so we only have to pick 13 players. Correct?

We can pick RFA if they are assumed to be unprotected?

14. RedNation

Just a suggestion. I'm sure you'd get many more people to do this if you put it in the dish

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yes, RFAs can be selected. UFAs are not eligible.

I considered putting it in the dish, but I don't want it hogging up the top spot like the other fantasy drafts have done. Plus, my signature redirects here.

16. RedNation

Ok cool. I'll probably finish later today since I have nothing to do all day until the game.

17. da_juice

da_juice Member

Awesome!

18. RedNation

Last question, we can take guys from the 11 draft right? Just not this coming draft

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

You can take unprotected guys from the 2011 draft. You can't take a guy like Perry Jones without picking him with the number four pick or doing some sort of trade.

Was that your question?

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

Also, before someone accidentially does this, you can only take a player from the list of 15. You could draft, say, Marcus Camby but not Donatas Motiejuanas.