1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Evacuation, Black Hawks, and secretive FBI - The mystery at the AURA/NSO Solar Observatory

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you dudes are scaring me

B-Bob likes this.
  2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't even find the story where I read it before. So, no idea.

The /r/conspiracy reddit is going for the angle that the observatory uncovered evidence of a "massive imminent solar event that will scour the earth of life" and that the FBI is covering it up for prep time. Sounds like a straight ripoff of the plot for the movie, "2012". Search the conspiracy reddit if you want some interesting crazy paranoia. Apparently, we are legitimately near a solar minimum and sunspot activity is supposed to spike along with strong aurora borealis expected much further south than usual. A good conspiracy thory needs some convenient, but not necessarily relevant facts to give it a ground in reality.

I did read somewhere a suggestion that possibly the FBI could have commandeered the post office to use as a command post, as the location is apparently pretty remote. That would explain how the post office could fit the story without really fitting the story. The fact that they are being so tight lipped about it, (apparently the local sheriff was told to be on alert to assist the FBI, but not why) sort of reinforces the national security/espionage angle for me. That is one of those situations where everybody becomes very tight lipped.

But who knows? The most mundane suggested explanation I read was a mercury spill from the telescope, as the reflector is apparently a giant spinning pool of liquid elemental mercury, but it was pointed out that the EPA would be onsite, not the FBI, and they'd have no problem telling everybody why they were there. But riffing on that, cyber-terrorism threat was another angle I read somewhere.

#22 Ottomaton, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    KingCheetah and B-Bob like this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

1. I don't think solar science is to where we can predict exact flares at exact times, and Earth weathers most of those okay, give or take some communications trouble.

2. Our planet's magnetic field is due for a flip; I'm not sure this is the place that would first see that coming, but that would be disturbing news.

3. I still think most probable is Chinese national postdoctoral student is suspected of doing a little shady business w the equipment. Could close post office to try to stop any info he/she sent via snail mail (?)

4. Maybe disgruntled former employee sent anthrax or unidentified poison so close facility, close post office, bring in FBI (?)

KingCheetah and Rashmon like this.
  4. Entropy

Entropy Member

It was me

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

One highly speculative, but interesting theory that is somewhat plausible is that solar observatories can take fairly detailed photos of airplanes in front of the sun. With the location of the facility sitting by some prime military bases staff member(s) had taken pictures of high flying classified aircraft.

[​IMG]

B-Bob likes this.
  6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Time to wipe the mind or perhaps ... go back in time ...

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. theimpossibles1

Guys I have it on good authority that all these feds rushed the scene because they heard basketballholic was giving a free seminar.

tinman, Jontro, Invisible Fan and 3 others like this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Word is he pulled out his spreadsheets, they were instantly claimed to be "legendary" by the lucky few in attendance.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  9. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

FBI ? Definitely some illegal p*rn downloading going on. It’s always p*rn

Jontro, B-Bob and heypartner like this.
  10. likestohypeguy

at 0:32 you can see a blue police telephone box outside one of the buildings near the ledge- I'm certain all this is under control now.

Xerobull, B-Bob and heypartner like this.
  11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn. No alien invasion.

http://www.aura-astronomy.org/news/news.asp?newsID=389&newsType=0

13. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

From the article above
    So who was the suspect and what was he/she/it suspected of doing? Or did I just skip over it

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Looks like this might have been close but w stated threats instead of anthrax.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I know, right. Not much more detail. I assume there still is no suspect, but what I find weird is they gave this same amount of detail the day of (or day after) the closure.

From the 9/7 article in OP:

"an Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA) spokeswoman Shari Lifson said, “The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy who manages the facility is addressing a security issue at this time,” Lifson said. “We have decided to vacate the facility at this time as precautionary measure. It was our decision to evacuate the facility....[later in article] I don’t know when the facility was vacated but it was within the last day.”

She said she cannot comment on the specifics of the security issue
    ."
    What didn't they say back then, to not "alert the suspect," that they are saying now. Seems the statements on 9/7 would have alerted the suspect, too, as much as the new statement would have.

Maybe "a suspect" with still no additional info of nature of investigation is an attempt at further cover-up. :)

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

happened on the 5 year anniversary of the katy evacuation. something is wrong.

heypartner likes this.
  17. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

This is close to the idea I had - that the observatory had picked up a strange object/craft.
    If you think about it, if you were an alien spaceship, the best place to hide in plain sight is against the backdrop of the sun.
    Cue the Twilight Zone theme.

#37 Wattafan, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The new explanation is still odd - as noted evacuating the facility would set off more alarms than anything else they could have done. I'm convinced now that Russian spies were somehow shooting photos of the Aurora hypersonic spy made with alien technology as it passed in front of the sun.

B-Bob, arkoe and Torn n Frayed like this.
  19. PhiSlammaJamma

If I was an alien race though, about to be discovered, this is the exact plan I would put in place to get people away from the scope. That or i would throw up a pop up ad.

heypartner likes this.
  20. elrond

elrond Member

Dunno about you guys, but that explanation sounds pretty weak to me. Absolutely no details about who/what/how/where. Haven't these folks ever played Clue before? Gotta at least give us a suspect, murder weapon, and location. Sheesh.

B-Bob, Torn n Frayed and heypartner like this.