1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

European Parliament Set To End EU-Wide Daylight Saving

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by No Worries, Mar 7, 2019.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

European Parliament Set To End EU-Wide Daylight Saving (dw.com)

The European Commission and European Parliament are set to end daylight saving time in 2021, at least in some states. "Now that the lead committee on transport and tourism has given its blessing, by a large majority, EU lawmakers could vote on the change by the end of March," reports Deutsche Welle. "After that, all 28 member states will need to rubberstamp the ruling." From the report:

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

TIME TO BUST A RHYME!!!

[​IMG]

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Great news. I absolutely loathe Daylight Savings Time. They should do this everywhere.

5. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is a bill in Washington state for the same thing and I hope it passes, I'm over it being dark at 4pm in December.

92i and R0ckets03 like this.
  6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I can’t even imagine at some point this was such a good idea that they went through with it.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

this is the time to double down. we should add an extra hour to our dts

R0ckets03 likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Removing daylight savings time will not change this. The months between Nov-March is considered standard time.

FL was considering passing a bill to allow daylight savings time year around, however states needs congress to approve any type of deviation from standard time. States can opt out of daylights savings time if they want.

10. No Worries

I have some very bad news for you then ...

Sajan and kubli9 like this.
  11. heypartner

DST gives you more sun at night. Don't you think most ppl like more sun at night?
    Not having DST means sunlight starts at 4am in the Summer, official sunrise at 4:30, and gets dark an hour earlier.

(Depends what East/West side of the timezone you're on, but w/o DST Denver/Boulder would have dawn twilight at around ~4am.)

12. No Worries

Well we could always go back to when we set the tower town clock at high noon everyday.

13. heypartner

Just heard this on NPR. It's the complete opposite. Both Washington and FL bills would make DST last all year.

A possible Texas bill, however, does eradicate DST. And some say this would help the energy industry...lulz. fwiw: Today's NPR "Houston Matters" show (at noon) will discuss this. https://www.npr.org/podcasts/381443561/houston-matters

Time to end daylight saving time in Texas? It could happen

I think Congressman Lawson is confused though. He also seems to think no DST would give you more sun at night.

“In a world without daylight saving time, we could all enjoy additional time outdoors by engaging in recreational activities,” Larson said
    Here's what Texans really think...

Critics argue that ending daylight-saving time would eliminate what some Texans say is their favorite part of the year — the extra time in the evening when it’s light outside.

#13 heypartner, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    droxford likes this.
  14. kubli9

Supporting Member

Thanks for clarifying this. I knew I heard on the news recently (in Seattle) that this next time change will probably be the last time. It makes sense in this part of the country because of how dramatic the change is, you go from last light at ~11pm in June to ~4pm in December.

15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I mean, I've heard the reasoning before it just seems kinda silly because I'm only 32. Not like we're changing the amount of sunlight, the earth does that on it's own (take that flat-earthers) Let's set the clock at the next equinox and let's start pretending it's 2019 instead of 1919.

16. SuraGotMadHops

I'm all for Daylight Savings time all year round. Hate how early it gets dark in the winter months, it's freakin depressing. It already gets darker earlier that time of year so I dont understand why it needs to roll back further an hour too.

RayRay10, Kam and kubli9 like this.
  17. trigun333

trigun333 Member

I think many people confuse which one they want. You want more sun, then you want DST. I would prefer DST all year around. I really hate how it gets dark so early in the day.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  18. heypartner

Having DST year 'round basically just says you want to be on the timezone before you. That is, you are basically saying Houston shouldn't be Central timezone, but rather Eastern...lulz.

So, the question then becomes, should we just shift all the timezones one hour ahead.

If every timezone implements DST year round, you are just shifting timezones.

Let's start a campaign to move Greenwich Meant Time to UTC +1...right? lulz

#18 heypartner, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  19. trigun333

trigun333 Member

What would the ramifications be if we do this o_O. Serious question, I honestly not sure at first thought.

20. kubli9

Supporting Member

:confused: