1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Stein: Adelman's way might get the Rockets up to speed in West

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by H-TownBBall, Oct 18, 2007.

1. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/trainingcamp07/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=Rockets-071018

2. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

This is TMac's way of saying "Gundy sucks!"

Music to ear. :)

3. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

well like always he made references to his ginger back...

heres to hoping we can win 1 before T-mac is up for an extension or retires ala Larry Bird

4. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

I wish his back was more cinnamon than ginger. I like ginger, but there's nothing better than the spicy/sweet of cinnamon. Yum Yum.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Marc Stein was at the Rockets open practice 10 days ago... all of the quotes are from that.

6. AkeemTheDreem86

That's really cool, I didn't know that. Stein is a good writer, IMO.

7. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

Quote: "You'll recall that the fifth-best win total in the league last season -- 52-30 in spite of protracted injury absences for McGrady and Yao -- placed Houston only third in the Texas standings."

What? There are only 3 teams in Texas.

Dumb and Dumber.

8. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

I think he was pointing out how tough Texas is, but what do I know.

9. desertfire

desertfire Member

"There are projections on this very Web site that Adelman's Rockets will not have to worry about such seeding pitfalls, projections suggesting that they will be a 60-win team and a championship contender. Yet, that will require Houston to defy history, based on the distinct lack of playoff success on their two stars' résumés and Adelman's own string of postseason failings."

This is the pretty standard preview for the Rockets this year, though Stein's writing is always excellent. I wonder though for the oft critized failures of T-Mac, Yao, and Aldeman how many times have they been in position to really be successful.

There's no doubt that the Rockets should've beat the Jazz last season, but I certainly don't think they were the better team in any of their previous matchups involving Yao (T-mac didn't come until the Mavs series). Maybe they should've polished the Mavs off in 2005, but they were certainly not better. As far as Aldeman...he's been to the finals twice! He had to take on Jordan! That's just bad luck. In his Sacramento days his teams were clearly overmatched by Shaq in his prime (though they probably should've one won of those series). There have been failures, but I think that the history gets blown out of proportion. It is still much more likely that Yao and McGrady will experience post season success together than not.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Sometimes I wish T-mac just wouldn't do interviews al all.

11. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

This post is an exmple of how one can have great reading skills, yet horrible comprehension...

12. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Stein is a good writer and speaker, but he's an idiot. He should have taken a logic class in college.

This is a Good article though.

13. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

I have never been on a bbs like this one where so many posters think writers are always idiots.

14. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

Standard "I don't want to be caught sleeping on this team, but I'll be lukewarm so I don't feel the heat if they suck" talk.

15. abcdef

abcdef Member

This uptempo stuff is overblown. I predict our pace will be at most middle of the pack. Adelman will quickly find that turning the ball over repeatedly and giving up more points is not worth possibly getting a few extra baskets.

16. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

And exactly how did you deduce this from the article above? :confused:

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

This was McGrady after just a week of Adelman practices: "Playing this way could put a couple more years on my career."

18. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

How may coaches did it take for Dream to get it right in the championship "flow"? That's what I keep thinking about when I think about Yao's potential to dominate with greatness. :D

19. Risto

Risto Member

Will the season already start so we can know the answers to all our questions!!

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

That means that Adelman's style is easier on the body, not that it is better. If he had said, "Playing this way could put a couple rings on my fingers." it would be more of an indictment of JVG, but still a bit of a stretch.