1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN/Spears] Is this it for Melo? [How/When the decision was made to pull the plug]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Right. Trading him would be a much better option. But you asked if we would give up a pick if we had to trade him. That is not an option. We would be better off waiving him if that was the case.

D-rock likes this.
  2. BigBum

BigBum Member

I bet you are right.

Final Resolution is waive.

Melo wants to play 30 minutes a game, it fits in China, not fits in nba team.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

words can’t describe just how atrocious Melo was for us

The Rockets’ losses have been ugly, but no player was responsible for a worse points discrepancy than Anthony. In 294 minutes with Anthony on the floor, the Rockets were outscored by 63 points. The Rockets have outscored other teams by 17 points in the 330 minutes he’s sat on the bench.

Even when Anthony played with both of the team’s best players — Chris Pauland James Harden — it didn’t matter. That three-man unit was outscored by nine points in 37 minutes, shooting 41 percent from the field and 29 percent from three.

On defense, things were as bad as expected, too. Opposing players shot 3.6 percent better with Anthony guarding them on average
    . Within six feet of the basket, players shot 10.4 percent better than normal, and on two-pointers in general, they converted at a 5.4-percent better rate.

he was killing us on both ends...many here realized it, and the coaching staff/Morey definitely knew it...thank God this failed experiment ended quickly

YOLO, Erbnwarfare, D-rock and 6 others like this.
  4. bmd

bmd Member

I think it makes perfect sense to cut him instead of him wasting away on the bench not even being able to get into the game.

The Rockets are correct in assessing that the media scrutiny that would be created from Carmelo not playing just like MCW and Marquese Chriss would be too much of an unnecessary distraction.

Why put the team and Carmelo through that elephant in the room situation for a whole season for no benefit? Just cut your losses now and handle the initial, acute scrutiny, and it will pass and the team can move on without that distraction and just focus on winning basketball games.

It makes sense, and I don’t think there is more to the story.

whiskeyred likes this.
  5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

It isnt magic that we couldnt play Rockets ball with this guy on the roster and have significantly improved since he is gone.

Better ball movement.

Better chemistry.

Better flow to offense.

More organized defense.

Melo has always been a ball stopper and on court chemistry killer. You cant have him on the floor and expect your offense to run smoothly because you will always have two offenses running into each other (Team offense, and Melo offense aka high volume brickfest).

This bum should have NEVER been signed here. EVER. Even for free. He already did his damage for the few games he was here. Every game matters for the home court against Warriors.

Sooooooooooooooooo glad Morey saw what a big mistake it was and dumped him ASAP before more damage could have been done.

YOLO, BigShasta and Reeko like this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

No way man. MDA and Bzdelik wanted revenge, and Morey/Harden/Paul helplessly went along with it. I suspect the players, coaches and GM conspired to produce worse defense and offense - EVEN AT THE COST OF LOSING GAMES - to generate a narrative that would eventually lead to getting rid of Melo more easily. After all, what does seeding and winning and all that matter when you can execute the grand plan of waiving Melo at the minimum.

It didn't end there either. The team were trained around the clock by PR personnel to make statements injecting doubt into the minds of NBA fans so as to cloud their understanding of what really happened. Afterwards, Morey was able to strike deals with opposing GM's, coaches and players to throw a half dozen games in the Rockets favor to make this all look legit.

Just brilliant stuff by the organization. Early on I wanted us to win a championship, but then I understood the big picture. I wanted Melo to look bad, whatever the cost. Even if he would have adapted to our system and fit in seamlessly, I wouldn't want those tainted extra wins. Thank god it all worked out so well for us. Now we can toast to yet another successful ouster of Melo from a team. I'm barely even interested in the rest of the season to be honest.

#106 Mathloom, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Easy, D-rock, Richie_Rich and 3 others like this.
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Seems like words just described it.

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

@hakeemthagreat @mockster @HP3 @kjayp

Rockets took down the Melo banner. You guys should keep an eye out for it on ebay. Would make a fine banter...I mean banner at your place.

Pretty much in like new condition, Hardly used.

Starting bid: $2,393,887

[​IMG]

MarioKissoDeath and J.R. like this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

Bro, he's not on the team any more, and you still wanna talk about him, it's really kinda sad. Now I'm just wondering if Melo hurt you in real life. And lol why are acting like me or @kjayp stanning for Melo at all?

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He was hurting my team, you know...the Rockets. :rolleyes:

11. HP3

HP3 Member

He's not on the team anymore and you are still talking about him. Get him out of your head. And what has been said time and time again is tat he wasnt the only problem on the team. Also the Rockets being your team.....coulda fooled me. ;)

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yeah..things magically turned great and we started to go on a roll with him gone. Magic.

[​IMG]

13. HP3

HP3 Member

We still lost to San Antonio when he was gone? Chris Paul injury/suspension, Harden injury, Ennis injury, Capela injury/not playing well, Gordon not shooting well, Green not shooting well......If you are just gonna ignore facts, let's just end it here.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

It's called adjusting to life with and then without Melo.

Look at this...

This guy was trash and holding the team and killing the offense. Harden and CP were trying too hard to integrate this scrub. Morey saw it and said enough is enough.

The guy is an absolute scrub. No other way around it.

Which is why he couldnt even last here for more than 10 games lulz...

Yeah...just keep saying he wasnt the reason we sucked, if it makes you feel better

15. HP3

HP3 Member

Dude, gimme a break, adjusting to life without Melo, the hell? Are you gonna ignore everything I just listed even the injuries and suspensions?

Yea I get it, its an important stat, but its not end all be all in terms of determining why we were so bad. Melo doesnt make people miss open shots. There have been many stats posted here( I can link you if you want) that showed we were still getting good looks, but we were shooting GOD AWFUL.

Are you gonna tell me Melo makes people miss open shots and lay ups?

No, I never said he didnt deserve blame, I'm just telling you he wasnt the only reason we were bad. You yourself were criticizing Chris Paul for not playing well in another thread. So, are you gonna tell me that didnt happen?

So, I'm gonna ask you again, are you gonna ignore facts?

16. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

I don’t think there’s more to it. The numbers spoke loud. He was literally the reason the Rockets sucked. Melo was inefficient offensively and nonexistent defensively. Dude was unplayable... that’s just a fact.

Zboy likes this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

So injuries, suspensions, and poor shooting splits from Paul,Green, Gordon didnt matter? Got it.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I dont think you understand chemistry, fluid ball movement on offense and how it effects offensive rhythm. And how it effects players shooting.

Are you going to ignore the fact that the scrub couldn't even last more than 10 games before he got dumped?

Now why do you think that was?

[​IMG]

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Bingo!

Thanks for noticing the elephant in the room, Mr. Elephant810.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

things like that played a factor, no doubt, but Melo had to be near the top of the list of reasons we were playing so bad

we still managed to outscore opponents when he was on the bench, but with him on the floor we were getting killed, and Mike was trotting him out there for 29 minutes a game

this was just a continuation of what happened with him at OKC during last year’s playoffs...OKC lost that series by 26 points...Melo was a team worst -59 (2nd worst was Brewer at -44) in that series primarily because he torpedoed their defense (improved by 13.3 points/100 possessions when he was off the floor) while still being trash offensively yet Billy Donovan gave him 32 mpg in that series

Melo is 1 of the most harmful players in the NBA, and coaches still feel the need to give him major rotation minutes due to his name...Rockets finally realized his minutes would need to be severely cut which ended up in Melo getting cut in order to avoid any possible drama

hakeem94, HP3 and Zboy like this.