1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Pelton] Scouting Zhou Qi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, Jul 14, 2017.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...s-zhou-qi-kevin-pelton-2017-nba-summer-league

wireonfire, cebu, Vivi and 6 others like this.
  2. onreego

onreego Member

Joe's too slow out there. Collins just beating him down the court every time. Almost got posterized twice due to his small frame.

3. crispy123

crispy123 Member

Really hope the rockets don't trade this guy. I see him being a good player. And i don't believe it wilk take long thanks to the d league.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I don't see it. Play him in the NBADL all you want but he just doesn't have NBA projectability from the games we just watched. Too slight of frame, too slow of foot, too awkward around the ball. His only prayer is to acquire a 40%+ 3pt set shot.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

6. Chamillionaire

He's got a long ways to go but the potential is there. Anybody can see that plus you know Le$ is raking in the dough.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i see the potential and like the idea of the 4 year minimum deal so he can develop.

he may not have up and down speed, but he is above average for a big in side to side speed which is more important for half court defense. his up and down speed shows itself when he gets beat down the court, but when matched up against other centers (instead of PFs) he should do just fine. this is why eventually his best position will be center. but he has work to do to become an nba center.

in order to get matched up against centers he needs to add a good 30lbs of muscle just to be able to grab a defensive rebound and hold his spot in the post (on O and D). judging by clint's progression, this alone might not be reached until year 3. i believe he has the ability to become a consistent 3 point shooter in that time as well.

if he only works on those 2 things he'll be a rotation 4/5. he already brings rim protection and agility to defense PnR, switches, and rotations. he could be a matchup problem for opponents in 3 years.

No Chance and j@amc like this.
  8. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

He will be just fine. Majority of people said Yao was gonna suck and were wrong.

crimsonghost, quikkag, banzai and 5 others like this.
  9. j@amc

j@amc Member

I think you have to be pretty pessimistic to say he has no chance of developing into an NBA player. To me, he showed a feel for the game--but he lacks the body to make the transition now, which is true for most 7 foot, young big men. His strength has improved, but he needs time. In two years with a solid, steady program, he could actually contribute.

I think Qi put several important things on display in this year's Summer League games:
    1. conditioning--he was in shape and wants to be taken seriously.
    2. understanding of assignments--though there is a language and cultural barrier at work here, Qi didn't make that an excuse. He looks like a no excuses kind of player.
    3. shot blocking--he was tested often during that first game, but he had earned respect as a weak side help defender. I saw several occasions where players drove to rim and changed their mind about shooting because he was in the area. In the world of drives and 3-point shooters, you need players who can challenge and raise doubts in the minds of those who drive.
    4. tip outs--with his length, Qi helped a lot teammates get to rebounds by making a play on the ball at its highest point. It remains to be seen as he gets stronger how he can affect a game with this skill.
    He needs a lot of work on his body and his game. I didn't see any true posts moves. He has almost no left hand. And there's a temptation for him to stagnate into a player that spaces the court on the perimeter. While he can do this with some success, I think a key for him will be movement around the paint setting up quick post ups (like a jump hook or a drop step). If he can add this to his game, he will be a more well rounded player.

If we have realistic expectations, knowing that Qi is not Nowitzki or Durant, we are looking at a contributing power forward with plus height and length and better than average offensive skill in about 2 years.

banzai, D-rock, roslolian and 4 others like this.
  10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

He has a slight chance of going into an NBA contributor, just like most any 2nd round pick.

11. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

He will take time but are you kidding me!? He showed amazing tools. He has a stroke. Length and I never seen someone that tall that is that mobile and agile. I'll take my chances .

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Adding weight is probably the easiest thing to do for an nba player. Heck you don't even need to be an nba player or possess any discernable talent for that.

Deckard likes this.
  13. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

It's almost entirely frame dependent though. KD and Corey Brewer had to work for 2 years straight to add 20 pounds. I see much the same in Joe Can we call him Joe yet?

14. Remlap

Remlap Member

Tell that to Shawn Bradley. I remember seeing him on the Jay Leno show or something like that years ago.
    Mavs tried to bulk him up too. He said he was eating 5,000 cals per day. Couldn't gain a pound.
    Usually that weight comes on AFTER they leave the NBA. LOL

15. threepointshot3

To me he looks pretty quick for seven foot two behemoth

D-rock, napalm06 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  16. cebu

cebu Member

great stuff. thanks for sharing.

17. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

We need to let him shoot his 2 point mid range shot if we want him to really contribute this season

tinman, desi tmac91 and napalm06 like this.
  18. The Stig

The Stig Member

Starting in the D League is probably best for his development based off what I've seen from Summer League so far. Give him a couple minutes here and there in the main roster if we have injuries or resting Nene and other veterans bigs.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

True dat. Also Wang Zhizhi.

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

He should make Capela expendable next year.