1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] MLB suspends spring training, delays Opening Day at least two weeks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKREBORN, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It won't go back to March Agreement as March Agreement was based on 3 criteria that while protecting player health, would also allow owners to make more money from fans. I think current deal was not intended to be accepted by players, but was meant to allow players to whine and then compromise on a deal.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

The owners have offered the players the Charles Barkley deal. Wink. Wink.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

#363 J.R., May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
  4. Newlin

Newlin Member

Football season is not that far away. I’m starting to not even care about baseball.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

The 4000 page report to be presented to owners Friday on re-opening, and the 70 page guidelines addendum, are no way undermining the 6 month and 1 paragraph report released at midnight on the Red Sox.

Nook and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I’m right there with you. I care even less about what happens with basketball. I’ve just kinda lost interest I guess.

7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

And yet y’all are here lol

King1 and Major like this.
  8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I could careless about the NBA season now....still missing Baseball though. miss the nightly baseball game....and being the evil team in the mlb...

Hoping Football goes on....

Hank McDowell likes this.
  9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yeah, more out of habit though. I’m sure I’ll get interested again, but the longer the delay drags on the more I’m just kinda indifferent to the whole thing.

10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Missed it by a day, but still...

Uprising and Nook like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

#371 J.R., May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  12. conquistador#11

Astros worked hard and made sacrifices to get the talkingheads to talk baseball like it was the 1950s again. And now the owners and the players' union are going to undo their efforts to bring back the national pass time.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Which position would you rather be in, the NBA or the MLBs?

NBA - Played 80% of the season with normal attendance, may miss out on the Playoffs
    MLB - Already likely going to miss 50% of the season, but will be able to hold the Playoffs. With limited attendance.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

#374 J.R., May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  15. The Beard

Owners are simply trying to divide the players before the next CBA after 2021. Pitting the high salaried guys be the low salaries

I can’t imagine anyone wanting baseball back more than I do...but if these guys miss the season because of money, screw both sides

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don’t think the owners want to lose a penny. They’re still trying to balance the revenue with this proposal.

In the end, they have to have the mindset of playing games and losing money... or not playing games and losing possibly more money in the long term.

The union won’t crack. They’ll control the outcome again as they did in 94. If owners can afford to wait it out... they can also afford to take losses this year with a better incentivized pay structure.

Uprising and conquistador#11 like this.
  17. Major

Major Member

This seems like a good way to get all the vocal star players on your bad side.

King1 and The Beard like this.
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Owners cheapening our and not paying the minor league guys almost minimum wage is not a great look either... even though the star players have proven to not give a rats ass about the minor leaguers, the union will remember these actions.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  19. The Beard

The owners are way more worried about the next CBA than how much they lose this year paying pro rated salaries. They are pitting the union against each other trying to break them by the end of 2021

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And that likely won’t work out for them.

What’s clear is that there is a vast wealth inequality between baseball owners. Some can certainly afford to pay the pro-rated share. Others cannot. Some probably can afford it but would rather pay less.

What I hope this pandemic helps expose is that owning a sports team should be the luxuriest of luxuries solely for the Uber-rich that can truly afford it. Those going into massive debt to buy into a team to use it to pay off the debt just doesn’t always work out. If those owners can’t afford to own the team during these times, we could see several franchises up for sale in the upcoming months.

conquistador#11 likes this.