1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[EPIX] War of the Worlds

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Feb 27, 2020.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Looks cool - really dark.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I had a free preview of Epix last week and I thought about watching episode 1, but I chose not to since I don't want to get hooked on a show that's on a channel I don't have.

Hope it's better than the last movie, which had BRILLIANT special effects, but no story whatsoever.

KingCheetah and Deckard like this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've seen the early part of Spielberg's War of the Worlds at least 10 times. I love the narration at the very beginning. I dig the intro of Cruise's character. It's quickly established when he gets home, interacts with his ex and her husband, blows off his kids, and then wakes up, complaining about the takeout they ordered. The audience is led to believe that he's an irresponsible **** who's wife understandably left him for perhaps a relatively boring fellow, but one that will take good care of her and her kids. Well, we see the "irresponsible ****" turn into a father willing to do literally anything to protect his kids.

I really like the flick. It's dark, but as @ima_drummer2k said, the special effects are BRILLIANT. My only disagreement, ima, is that there is no story. I think there is. This series has a huge challenge ahead of it, not the least being - do I want to sign on for yet another streaming source so I can watch it? Probably not.

4. KingCheetah

War of the Worlds was imo really good until about the flaming train scene -- after that I thought it was pretty much unwatchable.

Deckard likes this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Spielberg went way too far with that and other horrific scenes. He didn't have to. It was established very early and clearly that the aliens were utterly ruthless and viewed humanity as an inconvenience. One that they would use for whatever purpose seemed to be the most useful for them. We were "good" for fertilizer, apparently. That's why I said I had seen the beginning at least 10 times. I haven't come anywhere near watching the entire film that often. Blade Runner? Probably 20, likely more.

Rodman23 likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

The scene with Tim Robbins is one the worst movie scenes I've ever watched -- in the book it is one of the most intense side stories.

peleincubus likes this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Spielberg took the obvious madness and doubled down. Sometimes I just don't understand the guy.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And it's clear in the movie that they should have gone with Robbie.

Deckard likes this.
  9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The only thing interesting about the book is the concept during the time it was written. Makes no sense to put it in modern days imo. It’s such a simplistic outlook on the genre, it only makes sense to set it in simpler times

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Didn't know what Epix was but yes, a French co-production.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Wasn't there a TV series in the 90s? Maybe 80s?

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

An iconic piece of film-making.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Love that show!

14. Buck Turgidson

I didn't either until I saw their "Get Shorty" show, and it's not half bad at all.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

An excellent point, one I haven’t considered before, @bobrek.
    (Spoilers! Maybe a bit late)

I’ve always wondered, “How in the hell did that kid not only survive, but get to Boston before them. Poetic license? It’s not explained, but now that I have thought about it, the most obvious answer is likely that he stayed with the surviving Guard troops, who still had some mobility left and fuel (we see an example in flames coming over that hill). That, and leadership, who wouldn’t view suicide as an attractive option, preferring to make a stand in Boston, those who could make it. Not unreasonable that they take the kid along.

Might make a good short story.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yeah...that was my burning question. I would have said, “how in the holy hell did you get here well before us in seemingly great shape?”

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

Episode 2. It’s so low budget it’s kind of funny. When the professor threw that dude down the stairs I giggled.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Haha, it doesn't take any budget to toss that guy down the stairs.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

They still did it the most low budget way possible. Looked like a life alert commercial