1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Elvin Hayes expresses interest in buying the Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Aug 21, 2017.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hall of Famer Elvin Hayes part of group trying to buy Rockets franchise

Hall of Fame forward Elvin Hayes said he is a member of a group that is attempting to buy the Houston Rockets franchise.

Hayes said he and his group met recently with Rockets CEO Tad Brown, who is handling the sale for owner Leslie Alexander.

“We have met with the Rockets, and had a very cordial and a very nice, in-depth visit,” Hayes said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. “We feel good about our meeting with the Rockets, and I think they felt good with us.

“We have some very strong people in this group. We could do some very good things with this organization, with this team.”

Hayes, who did not identify the members of his group, was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1990.

He played 16 years in the NBA, beginning with the San Diego Rockets in 1968, moving with the team to Houston in 1971 before being traded to Baltimore in 1972.

Hayes, who was an All-American at the University of Houston, also played for the Rockets from 1981-1984.

“It would really mean an awful lot to be a part of this group if we are able to do what we feel we are capable of doing,” Hayes said.

“I look at it like it’s very personal and heartfelt to me. This team is in Houston largely due to Elvin Hayes playing ball at the University of Houston, playing in a huge game in the Astrodome (1968) and showed basketball was a marketable product. Then going to the San Diego Rockets and a group of Mr. Billy Goldberg, Wayne Duddlesten, Mickey Herskowitz, these people looked and said ‘we need to bring this team to Houston with Elvin Hayes.’

"If the team came with you and you have the opportunity to be part of an ownership group, I think it’s just a match. That’s the way I look at it. It’s a no-brainer for me.”

Hayes was a 12-time NBA All-Star, 6-time All-NBA, named a member of the NBA’s 50th Anniversary All-Time Team and Hayes won an NBA championship with the Washington Bullets in 1978.

“It’s one of things where you have to look at the people in the game,” Hayes said. When you look at the people in the game, a lot of times you say they might can go here. They might can go there, and you have to do an evaluation.

“If we are not fortunate enough to be successful in this endeavor, I feel that Tilman (Fertitta) would be a person that could really bring great benefit to this basketball team and this city. If we are not where we need to be, I feel that Tilman would be the person really to do amazing things with this basketball team.”

Houston billionaire Tilman Fertitta expressed interest in buying the Rockets franchise when the team was put on the market in July.

Last week Houston billionaire, Dan Friedkin, said he was interested in exploring the purchase of the Rockets.

Another Hall of Famer, Dikembe Mutombo, also a former Rockets star, has said he has an interest in being part of a group that would attempt to buy the team.

Rockets CEO Tad Brown said when the team was put on the market, he would handle the sale and have no comment during the process.​

kjayp likes this.
  2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

One person is probably a better dynamic than a group from an ownership perspective... but how cool would it be to have the Big E as one of the guys runnin the show!

3. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

Steve Francis gonna be in the next group.

justtxyank and don grahamleone like this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Damn, he must've given a crap-ton of taxi rides to get enough money to buy the team! :eek:

(5% of the board knows what that means... the other 95% is still young)

5. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Hayes Street!

(yes, unfortunately, in my old age I did forget the street number)

kjayp, Bobsputin and Dr of Dunk like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

CCity Zero, Nook, Os Trigonum and 2 others like this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

:D

But I'll one-up you... it's Hays Street. No "e". lol.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  8. MystikArkitect

No to Fertitta. Dude always stiffs to line his pockets. No no no.

Can't even pay Tellepsen to finish his building in Galleria.

9. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, you got me.

I must've practiced that trick shot in my driveway at least a thousand times. Probably made 2% of them.

Good times.

10. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Great post. This group probably consists of around 500+ people by now.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Insert Matt Maloney joke here _____.

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. BackdoorHarden

How much is E. Hayes net worth? Is he that rich??? Like Magic Johnson rich or Lebron James rich or Michael Jordan rich??? He's probably not even Yao Ming rich

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

$900 million per Forbes

don grahamleone and kjayp like this.
  14. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

According to his infamous 1997 contract extension, Les Alexander must pay Matt Maloney in order to sell him the team.

Verbal Christ and kjayp like this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Wasn't he infamously kind of a dick?

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Tad, can you comment on why you're unable to comment about Elvin Hayes' group specifically? And if you are unable to comment about the groups that are trying to buy, can you at least speak about the limiting factors for groups trying to meet with you? Also, can you comment about Ryan Anderson for Melo and why it hasn't happened yet? In regards to commentary, what kind of comments can you make about the sale and its process?

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Horry looks a little tiny bit like Hayes when Hayes is talking. Never any other time.

[​IMG]

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

it's weird (and sad) that the people we say are "too young" for these things are probably in their 30s now and with kids. v_v

kjayp likes this.
  19. NateNate

NateNate Member

What's this about? You got a link?

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Can he even afford season tickets?