1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Earl Watson: Disgruntled, with audio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Van Gundier, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yeah, because we need another backup point guard, right. :rolleyes:

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yeah I mean we already have enough PG's on this team, one that can't dribble, one that shoots too much, and one that will take years to develop.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL, do you follow the Rockets? :confused:

5. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Actually, Watson should probably start over Rafer and these two should each play roughly the same minutes. None of the other "PGs" on the team is worth playing. There's a reason why Rafer is being asked to play 40 mpg so far.

6. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

LOL ... the MJ crowd are still looking for a heaven outside GARM.

7. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

im more concerned with our big man depth, as opposed to our guard depth. as bad as juwan is, hes another big body. if we trade him i would hope to get another big man in return.

and no, watson would nto start over rafer.

8. SamFisher

Has nothing to do with Mike James and everything to do with the fact that the Rockets PG department is thin at best, although I know a lot of people have written Vasilis Spanoulis' name on their HOF ballot already...

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

EDIT - Watson's good at defense apparently, I'm a dumbass :D

He's a great sparkplug guard off of the bench but he's not starting and we don't need another guard. Our guard play has been fine. I think our biggest issue is depth at power forward. Battier is not a power forward, Hayes is good but can't play the whole game, and Juwan is just trash at this point.

#9 geeimsobored, Nov 11, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  10. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Umm, not sure about that. With Head filling Alston's role adequately in short spurts and TMac increasingly adjusting his game to become a playmaker, the PG position is not something urgently to worry about in the short term. Of course, then there is always VSpan!

I know deep in your heart, you are still longing for MJ. Sorry Sam, that's a losing cause. Give it up.

CASE CLOSED.

11. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Watson's D is far from subpar. He made his money largely because of his D.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

LOL, yes.

13. FFz

FFz Member

If i was in Seattle, i'd want to get traded too. Only thing earl gets to do is pass the ball to Ray and watch a bad 3pter get hoisted up. They were a better team when they had Brent Barry there.

14. SamFisher

If you asked JVG if the Rockets needed a back up PG he'd say yes, and I agree. Game over.

15. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Not sure about the Game Over part but I do agree we need a backup PG, a backup PF, and a backup center. And a backup to the backup at every position as well.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, for you, if you ever try weak tactics like this in a courtroom.

You are dismissed.

17. SamFisher

insert coin

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I would take Watson over Rafer, if Rafer started to stink it up from 3ball badly. Watson isn't much smaller...actually he's 6'1" 195lbs., while Rafer is 6'2" 175lbs. And the last 3 seasons, Watson shot 42.0%, 39.5%, and 40.4% from behind the arc. That's really good. Rafer's last 3 years whereas Rafer shot 37.1%, 35.7%, and 32.7% from 3ball land. That's not good.

But so far this Rafer's been a solid 38.7% from the land of 3. And contrary to popular opinion, he's not making them only when the Rockets are going good. Whether or not Rafer makes his 3's directly contributes to whether or not the Rockets are playing well, and Rafer has made some clutch 3's so far this year, and of course he's missed wide open ones too, but whatever, 38.7% is right at where he needs to at least be in my opinion.

Rafer gets posted up and has a strip move...this hasn't hurt the Rockets much this year, but being posted up wouldn't be a Watson problem either, for he's 20lbs heavier than Rafer...and Watson blocked a Shawn Bradley dunk attempt (that's just always fun to bring up...i can't find the damn video though).

Watson also has a +5 defensive on/off court average...I don't know how good those stats are, but it can't be a bad thing right?

So far Rafer and Head have done an average job of stopping point guard penetration...it hasn't been a major problem yet, but it has accounted for the opposing teams getting a handful of easy buckets each game. A handful is okay for now...if it becomes tons of easy buckets...then that's when a move is needed (perhaps going to VSPAN).

So hold off for now, but this is something that should be on the Rockets' radar.

19. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Wow. Dude, delete that post before more people quote it.

That's like saying Shaq's dunking is subpar.

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

haha, my bad.. My only experience watching Earl was in Denver for a little while and he didn't seem so hot but obviously I haven't seen enough of him.